Stop putting responsibility and control onto other people or food.

Options
124»

Replies

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I get what you are saying OP. In short my line is,"we are a product of our choices".

It is not an easy place to get to for some people and that is just reality.

This is most likely true, although I'm curious to see under what conditions it would be easiest to accept responsibility and control. I know that when I ate "clean" I also had a poor relationship with food, and I did not really accept responsibility. It was more that food or exercise controlled my outcomes, and as I mentioned earlier I got angry when chips were brought into the house. Imo now chocolate is worth the calories more than chips are, but my dad still buys big bags of chips regularly. I'm no longer angry about that haha.

I wonder too if one's readiness to actually lose weight will affect one's willingness to accept responsibility. I was 120% ready to lose weight and change my body composition this time around, so that likely helped me accept responsibility. But most importantly, dropping my negative view of food ("good" and "bad" food) really helped. Seeing that it's really just about calories for weight managemnet and macros for body composition/satiety, it's made it far easier for me to know how to make choices but also to accept when I make bad choices.

Complaining about others making your decisions harder is in no way the same thing as not taking responsibility for decisions.

Congrats on finding what works for you, but not everyone is like you. Different strokes.
    In none of these situations have I seen people say that SO buying donuts makes their decisions harder, but instead "my husband bought donuts, he is sabotaging me" is usually the norm.

the sabotaging posts are usually pretty bad..that i agree with.

how is someone sabotaging you because they're not also restricting foods? i make carb sides for my family at every meal and they have all kinds of snacks available that i can't eat. that in no way means they're trying to hinder my progress.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    minipony wrote: »
    Having an addiction to food is a mental disorder? I guess 3/4 of america has a mental disorder then. Is addiction to cigarettes a mental disorder. Hmmmm....Kind of an offensive post. Why are you such an authority now on this and eating. It doesn't really look like you don't have any food issues.

Food is not an addiction. Bulimia and anorexia, and other eating disorders.. those ARE mental disorders, as they are often linked with other psychological phenomena.

OH, and I've struggled with depression since I was a child, and did have food issues for quite a while. So much so that I refused to eat out at restaurants in any situation, refused to eat anything that wasn't "clean," and got upset when others brought home food that I "couldn't" eat. And I struggled over whether rice cakes were something I was "allowed" to eat.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-obesity-an-addiction/

"In my laboratory, we gave rats unlimited access to their standard fare as well as to a mini cafeteria full of appetizing, high-calorie foods: sausage, cheesecake, chocolate. The rats decreased their intake of the healthy but bland items and switched to eating the cafeteria food almost exclusively. They gained weight. They became obese.

We then warned the rats as they were eating—by flashing a light—that they would receive a nasty foot shock. Rats eating the bland chow would quickly stop and scramble away, but time and again the obese rats continued to devour the rich food, ignoring the warning they had been trained to fear. Their hedonic desire overruled their basic sense of self-preservation."

"Studies show that overeating juices up the reward systems in our brain—so much so in some people that it overpowers the brain's ability to tell them to stop eating when they have had enough. As with alcoholics and drug addicts, the more they eat, the more they want."

"Recent studies have shown that endorphin blockers do lessen the activation of reward circuits in humans and rodents that are presented with appetizing food—the subjects eat less. The blockers can also reduce heroin, alcohol and cocaine use in human drug addicts, supporting the idea that common mechanisms regulate hedonic overeating and addictive drug use. Strikingly, rats that binge on food every day display behaviors that closely resemble withdrawal, a symptom of drug addiction, after they are treated with endorphin blockers. This behavior raises the remarkable notion that hedonic overeating can induce a drug-dependence-like state."

Of course, the OP won't respond to me even though I've debunked her/him a couple times.
    They'll just spill out more hateful drivel. Because after all, nothing is more helpful than kicking fat people on a weight loss site. Because beating up a class of people who are here to try to change is helpful. I'm sure the OP is just like the jerk that won't acknowledge me at the store when I try to order balloons for my daughters party but will leap to help the skinny woman behind me. They should be ashamed for their opinion and that they even created this topic to begin with. Pathetic!
  • Team_Hownd
    Options
    69q3mstndw3z.jpg

Yes. Yes it does.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Team_Hownd wrote: »
    I can agree to some extent, but some people do have legitimate eating disorders where it's not quite as simple as "just stop eating"

Exactly. It's like telling an alcoholic "just don't drink". Sure, that is obviously the answer, but it doesn't mean the spouse bringing liquor into the house is not a problem.

This recovered alcoholic currently has alcohol in the house. Doesn't mean I'm gonna drink it. Just like the fact that my husband has a gallon of ice cream in the freezer doesn't mean I have to eat. I have a giant bar of Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate in my desk drawer right now, doesn't mean I have to eat it all today. I have the power to make decisions, good or bad. Accountability, responsibility go a long, long way. Don't abdicate your power, your control because it's easier to "go along to get along."

And willpower/self control is like a muscle; it gets stronger the more you exercise it.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options

So your consumption of carbs results in your inability to lead a productive life, interferes with your relationships, affects your ability to hold a job and be financially secure, and results in you spending all of your money on buying carbs?

Medical conditions do not equate to "food addictions"

YES! Obesity means I earn less.
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2014/10/economics-obesity

Obesity affects my ability to have children:
    http://www.acog.org/Resources-And-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Obstetric-Practice/Obesity-in-Pregnancy

Obesity affects my ability to start and have lasting relationships:
    http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/09/17/obesity-romance-varney

AND there is a strong link between poverty and obesity. Poor people do spend all their money buying carbs because it's what they can afford.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Of course, the OP won't respond to me even though I've debunked her/him a couple times.
    They'll just spill out more hateful drivel. Because after all, nothing is more helpful than kicking fat people on a weight loss site. Because beating up a class of people who are here to try to change is helpful. I'm sure the OP is just like the jerk that won't acknowledge me at the store when I try to order balloons for my daughters party but will leap to help the skinny woman behind me. They should be ashamed for their opinion and that they even created this topic to begin with. Pathetic!

This is a bit dramatic, don't you think? I don't see hate being spread here. If you think this is hate, take a spin around the news (especially in the comments) for a few hours. And I didn't take the OP as kicking fat people, either. I think she is just saying that whether you are fat, thin, fit or anything in between, you need to accept responsibility for your own diet.

If I have a great day, I accept it as my choice.

If I go over on my calories and have a very bad day, I also accept it as my choice.

No one can force us to be healthy. No one can force us to be unhealthy. We are in charge of our own bodies.

Is food an addiction? I'm not a scientist, I don't know. If you want to believe that it is, then that is your personal choice. I do think that calling something predominantly mental (not a physical withdrawal as in heroin addiction) an addiction gives it more power over you and influences choices more than people may realize.

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

In many cases we are able to edit out the posts that violate this guideline, but unfortunately this particular thread has become too volatile to moderate efficiently.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

kgeyser
This discussion has been closed.