can you eat 158 grams of protein in one meal?

Options
13»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure your body can process that much protein all at once. Seems like a waste of money to me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just made a smoothie with over 50g of protein in it. I used 2 scoops of protein powder instead of one. Was that extra scoop a complete waste of time This stuff is way too expensive to waste.

Anyone?

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    @Christine, maybe...depends on if it's the slower or faster flavor ...

"The body’s total protein stores (and note again that this isn’t a true store in the sense of body fat and glycogen) is maybe 10-15kg or so when you add it all up. Which is pretty high compared to an average daily intake. The DRI for protein is only about 50-60 grams per day for the average person and even folks eating 200-300 grams per day are still eating far less protein than stored. Which is why protein oxidation rates can change with intake.
    As I mentioned above, an under-appreciated fact is that about half of all ingested dietary protein is metabolized in the liver (details on this can be found in The Protein Book). Some of it is oxidized for energy while others are converted into other things (including glucose and ketones) for use elsewhere. But, protein oxidation rates do change in response to intake. So, when protein intake goes up, oxidation will increase; when protein intake goes down, oxidation rates decrease. This change isn’t immediate (as it more or less is for carbohydrates) and takes 3-9 days to occur but mis-understanding of this process has led to some goofy ideas such as protein cycling.
    But it also explains one other issue of importance to protein which has to do with speed of digestion. Early studies, including the oft-cited study on whey and casein by Boirie find that fast proteins are burned off for energy to a greater degree than slower digesting proteins. Since the body doesn’t have anywhere to store the rapidly incoming amino acids, it simply burns off more for energy. This, along with differences in handling (e.g. the fact that fast proteins are absorbed by the gut as discussed in Casein Hydrolysate and Anabolic Hormones and Growth – Research Review) are a big part of why slower digesting proteins invariably lead to better overall protein retention in the body; not only does more make it into the bloodstream but less is burned for fuel."
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html/
  • quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    just those higher protein bars 'gas' me up...think one had 20 g of protein. not sure if it was the protein they used or just the amount though. I usually eat what I consider a lot of protein at meals and try to balance it out with the carbs so I'm not eating a bunch of carbs alone but don't think I've come that close
  • Christine_72
    Options
    :open_mouth: Thanks for the explanation ahoy :smile:

So I should look for Protein Powder with Casein, right?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I really don't know anything about protein powder. Someone else would be more helpful. The main point I took was half gets oxidized for energy, but slower digesting ones less so.
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Yesterday I was starving from the gym I ate 300 grams worth of chicken lol... It was amazing! You might think it's a lot but it really didn't seem like it was lol
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 158 grams of meat? Or actual protein? 158 grams of meat is no issue for me.....but 158G of protein...Im not sure.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just made a smoothie with over 50g of protein in it. I used 2 scoops of protein powder instead of one. Was that extra scoop a complete waste of time ? This stuff is way too expensive to waste.

Again, I linked an article upthread that argued that the bro science that 30 grams is all you can get at a time is wrong. I don't know, but I think it's a lot less certain than those insisting that's a fact are making it out to be. Some highlights:
    A longstanding belief in fitness circles is that the body can only use a certain amount of protein per meal, and the excess is either oxidized or excreted. The ballpark range thrown around is 20-30 grams, with 30 grams being perhaps the most common figure.... [T]rue or not, this concept fits in nicely with another longstanding fitness “rule” that you have to eat at least six times per day in order to keep the body’s metabolism revving high. Since the meal frequency and metabolism dogma has been thoroughly debunked, it’s time to dig into the topic of whether there’s a limit to effective protein dosing, and if so, what that limit might be....

...If the body worked this way, the human species would have quickly become extinct. The human body is more efficient and effective than we give it credit for. [Note: one point here that is not entirely spelled out is that historically and during our evolutionary period we likely had fast and famine periods.]

The body will take all the sweet time it needs to effectively digest and absorb just about whatever dose you give it. Person A will have shorter digestion periods per meal in order to effectively absorb and utilize the small meals. Person B will have a longer digestion period in order to effectively absorb and utilize the large meal. While the truth in this logic seems self-evident, the important question is whether or not it’s supported by scientific research. Let’s look at the evidence, starting with immediate-effect (acute) studies, then move on to the longer-term trials. [the summary of the studies is in the link and I'm sure that they can be found elsewhere]

If we were to believe the premise that a 20-30 g dose of protein yields a maximal anabolic effect, then it follows that any excess beyond this dose would be wasted. On the contrary, the body is smarter than that. In a 14-day trial, Arnal and colleagues found no difference in fat-free mass or nitrogen retention between consuming 79% of the day’s protein needs (roughly 54 g) in one meal, versus the same amount spread across four meals [11].

Notably, this study was done on young female adults whose fat-free mass averaged 40.8 kg (89.8 lb). Considering that most non-sedentary males have considerably more lean mass than the female subjects used in the aforementioned trial, it’s plausible that much more than 54 g protein in a single meal can be efficiently processed for anabolic and/or anti-catabolic purposes. If we extrapolated the protein dose used in this study (79% of 1.67g/kg) to the average adult male, it would be roughly 85-95 g or even more, depending on just how close someone is to the end of the upper limits of muscular size.

When Arnal and colleagues applied the same protocol to the elderly population, the single-dose treatment actually caused better muscle protein retention than the multiple-dose treatment [12]. This raises the possibility that as we age, larger protein feedings might be necessary to achieve the same effect on protein retention as lesser amounts in our youth.

IF research nailing the coffin shut?

Perhaps the strongest case against the idea of a dosing limit beyond which anabolism or muscle retention can occur is the recent intermittent fasting (IF) research, particularly the trials with a control group on a conventional diet. For example, Soeters and colleagues compared two weeks of IF involving 20-hour fasting cycles with a conventional diet [13]. Despite the IF group’s consumption of an average of 101 g protein in a 4-hour window, there was no difference in preservation of lean mass and muscle protein between groups....

There may be subsequent research, but I thought this was interesting and a decent place to start to track down some of the studies and arguments, even if the link had a stupid name.
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sure you can. You probably won't even utilize most of it at that one sitting though, so it just becomes expensive poop.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I always eat that much and I never have to use the rest room.
    Yeah, too much protein does that to me too.
    Im sorry I dont understand?
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Do you mean 158 grams of meat? Or actual protein? 158 grams of meat is no issue for me.....but 158G of protein...Im not sure.

Anything with protein meats, milk, cereals, bread, protein bars, breakfast bars, etc.
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think the big confusion with your question is this:
    Do you eat 158g of protein with each meal? If this, how many meals do you eat?
    Or 158g of protein TOTAL per day?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    pope705 wrote: »

yes. The answer to which is elusive....

sgthaggard wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sure you can. You probably won't even utilize most of it at that one sitting though, so it just becomes expensive poop.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I always eat that much and I never have to use the rest room.
    Yeah, too much protein does that to me too.
    Im sorry I dont understand?

I reckon it means too much protein constipates them??

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    pope705 wrote: »

158g of protein x 4cals/protein = 632 calories from protein in one meal.