Whole Milk vs Skim

Options
123457»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My family usually had 2% and skim milk in the house when I was growing up. I didn't drink milk when I was a kid unless it was chocolate milk. I really hated milk at that time. Once I was older and figured out that I was lactose intolerant I actually started liking milk more.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    CoolRider_ wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »
    Raw milk here. Slightly higher fat content than whole milk and freaking delicious!

Raw milk yogurt is the most amazing thing in the world!

Skim milk tastes like eating cardboard.

If anyone is looking through this thread for advice the one thing I have to say, and I can't stress this enough, DO NOT drink raw milk.

We pasteurize for a reason, you could get very ill and even die drinking raw milk. I don't think it's worth such a high risk just because some people think it tastes better.

Know your source and how clean they keep their facilities. Raw milk yogurt and cheese are safe because you need to heat it up in order to make it. At the minimum, find someone who just pasteurizes rather than does the ultra pasteurizing that most dairy companies do. The lower heat of regular pasteurizing maintains more of the flavor and nutrients.

• kaylalewis2323
    kaylalewis2323 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Skim milk or Unsweetened almond milk!
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have no idea what 2% and semi and all that is, must be an American thing?? Our choices are skim or whole fat.
    I drink low fat milk, because I drink a lot of milky cups of tea everyday. I much much prefer full fat milk, but it would give me too many calories. I refuse to give up drinking tea, so I have to compromise and drink low fat

In Australia we have 3, Skim, Semi-Skin or Hilo-1% and full cream milk-2% don't know the %
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    In the US we have whole (or full fat), 2%, 1%, and skim (non fat).
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I am curious how many people are drinking the milk they grew up with or converted to at an early age (or didn't care for milk as children if they now like alternative forms of milk).

I grew up on powdered milk, because well...we were poor. I still remember looking forward to drinking my box milk at school, and how good it tasted to me! Even though I would often think of buying box milk to use for baking, especially when our milk would always go bad since we barely used any, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Now that I switched to almond milk and kiddo will actually drink that, plus I drink it more too, milk never goes bad around here. So problem solved. :blush:

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I can only stand the texture of skim milk, otherwise I'd be all over 2% or full fat for the fat content to meet my macros.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    In the US we have whole (or full fat), 2%, 1%, and skim (non fat).

They are also sometimes referred to as whole, reduced fat (2%), low fat (1%), and non fat (at least around here the dairies label the containers like that)

• paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and I generally have semi-skimmed (2%), I sometimes get 1% as some supermarkets have started doing this but can't stand skimmed milk (too watery) or full fat milk (too creamy). When I was a kid we used to gave full fat milk delivered in glass bottles and my mum used to love the cream off the top on her cereal.
  • bloodsy
    bloodsy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I drink an average of 300-500g milk a day, 3% holds around 50% more calories so at most that would be a 100 cal difference for me. I'd rather just enjoy it more and cut something else out then the other way around.