Frans's First Bulking Attempt in 12 weeks

Hey everyone, similarly to my friend Terry (terizius) I am also doing a 12-week bulk. However, this is my first time ever trying a bulk. Having been overweight for so long, I feared trying to add size so all I have ever done is continue to lose weight. I think at my lowest I was around 136-137 pounds which at 5'7"-ish (around 5'7.5"), that is pretty low. Plus, I would really like to have at least a little muscle since I've never really had any before. I know I won't get huge or anything because 3 months is not a huge amount of time but I still know if I work hard I can definitely make a difference in how my body looks. I am currently doing the Body Beast program and started at 142 pounds. After three weeks of the Build Phase, I am now in the Bulk Phase of the program. Normally, this phase is about 5 weeks but I decided to extend it to 12 weeks to see how far I could go. I just finished my 5th week and have seen some gains in both size and strength (not too much but it is definitely encouraging to see the difference). I thought for the next 7 or so weeks, I would update my progress here to help others encourage me and hopefully I could maybe act as an impetus for someone else who is scared of bulking up. Here are some of my stats.

Starting Weight at the beginning of the Bulk Phase: 143 pounds
Current Weight: 147 pounds

Measurements:

*Arm measurements were flexed arms
**Was not super confident going into this so besides a picture, I did not take starting measurements so I am going based off of my progress about 2 weeks into this

A little over 3 weeks ago (Feb. 23):

Waist: 32 inches
Chest: 35.875 inches
Right Arm: 12.625 inches
Left Arm: 12.625 inches
Right Thigh: 21.125 inches
Left Thigh: 21 inches
Neck 14.875 inches
Hips: 36.375 inches

Most current (Monday, March 16th):

Chest: 36.625"
Left Arm: 12.875"
Right Arm: 12.875"
Waist: 32.5"
Left thigh: 21.375"
Right thigh: 21.375"
Hips: 36.5"
Neck: 15"

And here is a picture of my progress so far:

pfxdikqkxi1g.jpg

Sorry if the left one is a little blurry, that was the only picture I had and tried to zoom in so the comparison would be a little better so not sure if you would be able to see much progress! Anyway, this is my journey so far and I love Body Beast (it is a great program and I enjoy the workouts immensely) so hoping all goes well!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Good luck on your journey and congrats on taking the step forward!!!

You can pretty much only go up with any work and food you put in at this point- so hammer them both.

eat.
    lift.
    rest.

lather
    rinse.
    repeat.

3 months might no quiet be enough- you might want 5-6- but I would give yourself a window- 3 is a just barely the shortest "minimum" I would say. (I set 6- and said 4 was min- and found mentally 3 was hardest- 4 was okay- but 5 saw me amazing gains) just to keep in mind- that you might want to give yourself some wiggle room on that!!!

Now- go do all the things!!! :D
  • nerdygymrat9
    nerdygymrat9 Posts: 163 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

You can pretty much only go up with any work and food you put in at this point- so hammer them both.

eat.
    lift.
    rest.

lather
    rinse.
    repeat.

3 months might no quiet be enough- you might want 5-6- but I would give yourself a window- 3 is a just barely the shortest "minimum" I would say. (I set 6- and said 4 was min- and found mentally 3 was hardest- 4 was okay- but 5 saw me amazing gains) just to keep in mind- that you might want to give yourself some wiggle room on that!!!

Thank you Jo :) I am going to do my very best with this. Eating a lot is hard for me. At most I ever consistently ate was maybe 2300-2400 (unless you know I went on some binges to Wendy's or something haha). I sort of want to see how much I can do in 3 months and may want extend it a little more. Just wanted to be leaner for summer so that's why I wanted to stop in May so I could give myself like 8 or so weeks so that by August I would hopefully be beach body ready XD But whatever happens I will give it my all!
  • JoRocka
    You can only go up from here my friend. I promise.

Also- make the trip to wendy's- make the trip to five guys- eat those snickers.

All the "healthy" in the world won't help you if you aren't making calories.

Calories are king in a surplus. Fill yourself up with a good variety of meats/veggies/carbs and things- then round it out with whatever high calorie thing fits your fancy.
  • nerdygymrat9

Calories are king in a surplus. Fill yourself up with a good variety of meats/veggies/carbs and things- then round it out with whatever high calorie thing fits your fancy.

This week I am on vacation so it is Shake Shack, Smashburger, etc... lol but that is just because I am on spring break! But really? I can do that?
  • JoRocka

This week I am on vacation so it is Shake Shack, Smashburger, etc... lol but that is just because I am on spring break! But really? I can do that?

*nods*

eat a good variety of food- I woulnd't JUST eat burgers- but don't hesitate to reach for something high calorie.

I know a guy who blends slices of cheesecake into his smoothies to get his calories up. If you have SUCH a metabolism that requires 5000 something calories to be gaining- that gets old- and expensive- no way you can eat 5K in boiled chicken and buckets of quinoa- just grab a burger instead- cheaper- more calories and less stressful.
    Calories are king in a bulk.

no surplus= no sweet gains.

Must be in a surplus.
  • nerdygymrat9

*nods*

eat a good variety of food- I woulnd't JUST eat burgers- but don't hesitate to reach for something high calorie.

I know a guy who blends slices of cheesecake into his smoothies to get his calories up. If you have SUCH a metabolism that requires 5000 something calories to be gaining- that gets old- and expensive- no way you can eat 5K in boiled chicken and buckets of quinoa- just grab a burger instead- cheaper- more calories and less stressful.
    Calories are king in a bulk.

no surplus= no sweet gains.

Must be in a surplus.

Yeah I could never eat solely junk food, I was overweight a ling time from just doing that. And only eating 2700 right now (which is a surplus for me, initially 2550 but then upped it a little bit). But say I have a day where I have 800 calories, grabbing a burger that fits in that limit is fine?

• JoRocka
    yes and yes- burgers aren't all that bad- it's got fat protein and carbs- I mean- what's not to love.
  • nerdygymrat9
    Lol well I just love burgers in general, they are my kryptonite as well as several other foods such as milkshakes and buffalo chicken fingers or wings!
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Agreed, gotta keep those calories coming if you want to see gains. BTW, are you supplementing at all? Just curious.

Keep it up, we'll make this journey together and see where we both end up.
  • nerdygymrat9
    terizius wrote: »
    Agreed, gotta keep those calories coming if you want to see gains. BTW, are you supplementing at all? Just curious.

Keep it up, we'll make this journey together and see where we both end up.

I will do my best to be as close to my calorie goal as I can :) So far been able to do that on vacation so at least that is good!

The only supplement I use is whey protein powder (Optimum Nutrition). And yeah man, we will do this together :)
  • jmichaelminton
    jmichaelminton Posts: 47 Member
    Just curious, but what were you at your heaviest?
  • nerdygymrat9
    Just curious, but what were you at your heaviest?

Hello there! Um, at my highest I was close to 200 pounds, maybe 195ish? But I was also fairly shorter than I am now (around 3 inches shorter, so maybe around 5'4") so I was pretty heavy for my age and height.
  • nerdygymrat9
    edited March 2015
    Update on my progress now that week 6 is over:

This week's results and differences from last week:
    Weight: 145 (down two pounds)
    Waist: 32.5", no change
    Chest: 37", +.375" (took this one twice because I was surprised)
    Left Arm (flexed): 12.875", no change
    Right Arm (flexed): 12.875", no change
    Left Thigh: 21.5", +.125"
    Right Thigh: 21.5, +.125"
    Neck: 14.875", no change
    Hips: 36.5", no change

I am shocked by the two pound weight loss given the amount of fast food/restaurant food I had this week during spring break. However, more surprised that my measurements stayed about the same and there were a few small gains thrown in there. Just mind-boggled right now not sure if this would be considered a good or bad week.

Also according to the Omron device that I bought to measure body fat%, it says that I am 11.6%? Not sure how accurate that is though lol.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

I am shocked by the two pound weight loss given the amount of fast food/restaurant food I had this week during spring break. However, more surprised that my measurements stayed about the same and there were a few small gains thrown in there. Just mind-boggled right now not sure if this would be considered a good or bad week.

add in another 150 calories a day and see what happens over the next week. if no gain, then add in another 150 calories next week ...keep adding until you are gaining..

also, you could think that you were eating a lot but in fact you could of still been in a deficit or at maintenance...

• nerdygymrat9
    ndj1979 wrote: »

add in another 150 calories a day and see what happens over the next week. if no gain, then add in another 150 calories next week ...keep adding until you are gaining..

also, you could think that you were eating a lot but in fact you could of still been in a deficit or at maintenance...

Hey Nick! Yeah I was thinking adding a little more this week to see how that affects things. It's weird slowly going up with how much I eat, sometimes I feel like I am stuffing my face.

I was pretty confident I was at my calorie goals for this week, I logged everything except one day, but even looking at estimates of other MFP entries for the foods (I had gone to an Indian restaurant), I probably still would have been close to 2700 calories I believe.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

Hey Nick! Yeah I was thinking adding a little more this week to see how that affects things. It's weird slowly going up with how much I eat, sometimes I feel like I am stuffing my face.

I was pretty confident I was at my calorie goals for this week, I logged everything except one day, but even looking at estimates of other MFP entries for the foods (I had gone to an Indian restaurant), I probably still would have been close to 2700 calories I believe.

at your age, your gain range is going to be in the mid 3000's I think ...

to give you a reference point I am a 35 year old male, and when I bulked I was gaining about .5 pound a week on 3100 calories a day ....

Based on your age, I would assume that your gain level is going to be higher then mine..but I could be wrong..

• nerdygymrat9

at your age, your gain range is going to be in the mid 3000's I think ...

to give you a reference point I am a 35 year old male, and when I bulked I was gaining about .5 pound a week on 3100 calories a day ....

Based on your age, I would assume that your gain level is going to be higher then mine..but I could be wrong..

Age plays a role in how much food we can eat? I did not know that. So you think I should be eating more to be able to continue gaining (like eating at least 3000)?

What exactly do you mean by gain level?

• nerdygymrat9
    Also I thought I'd post a progress picture since it is the halfway point for me:

7pgy75ccn1nu.jpg
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Hey everyone, similarly to my friend Terry (terizius) I am also doing a 12-week bulk.

eat.
    lift.
    rest.

lather
    rinse.
    repeat.

Agree with JoRocka, you might want to take 6+ months to bulk if you are new/returning to lifting. You will see a lot of strength gains from neural adaption, but your body won't start needing to add much new muscle to keep up with the increasing lifts until about 8-12 weeks out (basically when you plan to stop your bulk).

The conservative rule says about 1lbs/month of muscle is the max you can gain. Not to say you can't squeeze out a bit more than that, but if you have a goal weight in mind, will help you for planning purposes of how long it will take to get you there.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Remember that high-sodium meals tend to cause water retention. Conversely, if you didn't have much sodium the day/night before weigh in, you may have lost some of that water weight that you usually carry - or carried the week before. That could be the cause of your "weight loss" even though your measurements show increases. Just an idea.

As to age having an effect on how much food you can eat - what is meant is that generally as one ages, metabolism slows down. So, with that in mind, younger folks generally can and should eat more as they are bulking.