Attn: WOMAN what birth controls are effective without rapid weight gain?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You couldn't PAY me to to use another Mirena. No way. WORST one I ever experienced.
    In fact, you couldn't pay me to use any hormonal birth control again.

YMMV of course.

if you're in a monogamous relationship in your own home, why not a barrier method such as a cervical cap, or a diaphragm?
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Pull out

:#:# 60% of the time, it works every time.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Condoms

this. zero side effects.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i wanted to get the paraguard, (copper IUD) but chickened out. I got the in the arm thing instead, nexplanon. I like it ALOT, I dont know why more women arent on board with it.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    emily9423 wrote: »
    So I've worked really hard to lose weight and I would love to keep it off. However, I do need to find a new birth control as the pill makes me very sick.
    I'm just wondering what everyone's experience has been with other options and if you experienced weight gain? If so, how much did you gain, how active were you at the time, eating habits? I'm pretty active and eat very well aside from a cheat meal or two a week so I'm wondering if the potential for weight gain with some of the options would decrease. I also have hashimoto's a type of thyroid disease.

Thanks so much!
    Emily

This is probably a conversation best had with your doctor.

That being said, I have the Mirena IUD, and though people swear up and down that it keeps them from losing weight, or made them gain weight, it has not been an issue for me so far. I've lost about 9 lbs since the middle of Jan (I'm losing a healthy and normal ~1lb/week) with no real hiccups in my weight loss due to my method of birth control.

Weight loss is calories in/calories out, period. Being on birth control is not going to change the calories out part of the equation that much, although it may increase your appetite somewhat depending on the hormones used. However, if you're counting calories anyway, that in itself should not cause you to gain weight.

I'm not sure if there are any implications with using hormonal BC and Hashimoto's, so you should definitely make the decision with your doctor.

I fully agree, this is a great response!

I also have the Mirena IUD, and have had no problems losing weight.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I use Tilia FE (pills) but they are fantastic. My skin cleared up, my cramps aren't NEARLY as bad and I don't drop weight rapidly but it does kinda help.
  • marjorieannr
    Options
    I had a similar reaction to the pill itself. I became extremely sick to my stomach while on it. I switched to the Nuva ring and that solved the problem for me. I didn't experience any weight gain while on it. It may be a good intermediate step before trying an IUD if the ring also causes problems. Good luck!
  • emily9423
    emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have had this conversation with my doctor and it's up to me now to do research and decide what form I want to try next. That's the point of this thread; I just want to see what others experiences have been to aid in my decision. Almost all birth control has potential for weight gain so I was just wondering how many experienced it while actively trying to lose weight.

Obviously condoms and abstinence are technically options but they are not what I am looking for.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different brands and variations of the pill. Microgynon made me a raging, acne-covered, tearful, swollen MONSTER, but Cilest and Brevinor are kind to my skin, minimise PMS, and make what were once horrifically heavy and irregular periods predictable, light, and while certainly not pain free, I don't cry and puke any more!

Sometimes it's just about finding the right one.
  • emily9423
    Options
    Thank you for all of the serious responses! They are super helpful!
  • emily9423
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    There are lots of different brands and variations of the pill. Microgynon made me a raging, acne-covered, tearful, swollen MONSTER, but Cilest and Brevinor are kind to my skin, minimise PMS, and make what were once horrifically heavy and irregular periods predictable, light, and while certainly not pain free, I don't cry and puke any more!

Sometimes it's just about finding the right one.

I've tried three different variations and I've had pretty serious side effects with all of them. Migraines, vomiting, confusion, and stomach pains were the main ones. The doctor suggested trying something other than the pill. Thank you though!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Almost all birth control has potential for weight gain

No, it doesn't. Eating more calories than you burn causes you to gain weight.
  • emily9423
    Options

While I agree, almost all birth controls list unexplained weight gain in the side effects. All I'm wondering is how accurate that is.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Truth!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm on Yaz, no weight gain. But like others said above, birth control won't cause you to gain weight. Just be mindful of your hunger and you'll be fine.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

While I agree, almost all birth controls list unexplained weight gain in the side effects. All I'm wondering is how accurate that is.

Some have the potential to increase your appetite, but if you monitor your intake, and do it accurately, you should not have issues just because of birth control.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So I've worked really hard to lose weight and I would love to keep it off. However, I do need to find a new birth control as the pill makes me very sick.
    I'm just wondering what everyone's experience has been with other options and if you experienced weight gain? If so, how much did you gain, how active were you at the time, eating habits? I'm pretty active and eat very well aside from a cheat meal or two a week so I'm wondering if the potential for weight gain with some of the options would decrease. I also have hashimoto's a type of thyroid disease.

Thanks so much!
    Emily

Congratulations on your weight loss.

I never had weight gain from birth control pills, and I took them from teens to my late forties. My weight gain all came from eating too much food, even if it happened while I was on birth control.

Water retention with the pill is normal, but true fat will come from overeating. I'd say just make sure you are diligent with you logging of both calories in/calorie out and make room in your calorie goals for some odd snacks if you do get a little hungry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options
    Hormonal response in people will differ. What may work for one, may not work for others. Probably best to consult either an OB or endocrinologist to find out what may work best for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    last year my doctor recommended vaginal contraceptive film and I'm now a big fan:
    http://www.vcfcontraceptive.com/whatisvcf.html