Attn: WOMAN what birth controls are effective without rapid weight gain?

Options

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hormonal response in people will differ. What may work for one, may not work for others. Probably best to consult either an OB or endocrinologist to find out what may work best for you.

This exactly. I used depo injections for several years and had zero issues. I had coworkers who tried it and had a terrible time.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    emily9423 wrote: »
    Almost all birth control has potential for weight gain

No, it doesn't. Eating more calories than you burn causes you to gain weight.

While I agree, almost all birth controls list unexplained weight gain in the side effects. All I'm wondering is how accurate that is.

Some have the potential to increase your appetite, but if you monitor your intake, and do it accurately, you should not have issues just because of birth control.

Except for the issue of living with unnecessary and distracting hunger...
  • ughbrit
    ughbrit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Paraguard is a non-hormonal IUD that lasts up to 10 years. It's amazing and I couldn't recommend it more highly. Also, some OBGYNS believe in the old theory that you must've had a kid in order to have the IUD inserted, but I never have and know others who never have given birth and have had it inserted just fine.
  • jcondeee
    jcondeee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Mirena IUD, NOT THE BIRTH CONTROL SHOT!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Depo shot was the worst thing I ever did. Not only did I gain like 30lbs I was a raging *kitten* for months. I use the NuvaRing and love it.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

While I agree, almost all birth controls list unexplained weight gain in the side effects. All I'm wondering is how accurate that is.

Some have the potential to increase your appetite, but if you monitor your intake, and do it accurately, you should not have issues just because of birth control.

Not really. It's not actual "hunger," it's more of a peckish feeling that can be easily overcome with another distraction (like exercise). Kind of like the cravings that one may get with that TOM. If you eat mindlessly, you can gain weight. If you monitor your intake and understand that you're not really hungry, you can easily stick to your deficit.

If you're really that much more hungry on birth control pills, then up your activity level and eat at a more modest deficit. It's not that hard to do, honestly.
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options

Not really. It's not actual "hunger," it's more of a peckish feeling that can be easily overcome with another distraction (like exercise). Kind of like the cravings that one may get with that TOM. If you eat mindlessly, you can gain weight. If you monitor your intake and understand that you're not really hungry, you can easily stick to your deficit.

If you're really that much more hungry on birth control pills, then up your activity level and eat at a more modest deficit. It's not that hard to do, honestly.

Ok, then the physician monographs that describe weight gain as a thing that very often happens as a result of people taking BCP (whether it's because of increased "peckish feelings", lol are you kidding, or because of some alteration of metabolism) are just a fairy tale. Thanks for clearing things up!

I don't have this issue because I don't take that crap.
  • emily9423
    emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Ok, then the physician monographs that describe weight gain as a thing that very often happens as a result of people taking BCP (whether it's because of increased "peckish feelings", lol are you kidding, or because of some alteration of metabolism) are just a fairy tale. Thanks for clearing things up!

Weight gain and increased appetite are both included for a lot of birth control's side effects. Not everyone experiences them but both are possible and different from eachother. This post is merely to gain information on people's experiences with different birth controls. I did have a very active and healthy friend gain a little under 14 pounds with the depo shot and it was much more difficult for her to lose the weight and keep it off so doctors recommended trying something else. Birth control shouldn't be used as an excuse for being over-weight; I think that very few things qualify as an excuse for it but that doesn't take away from the very real potential side effects.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited March 2015
    Options

It was stated earlier in the thread that studies have shown that ~5 lbs can actually be attributed to hormonal birth control. The metabolic effect is not significant enough to cause massive weight gain, and no I'm not kidding. "Craving" =/= "hunger."

Also, hormonal birth control is not "crap." It has played a huge role in the sexual health and freedom of women for decades. Dismissing something like hormonal birth control as "crap" is offensive to the women who take it (for both gynecological health reasons and for pregnancy prevention).

*Edit: too many words
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options

Weight gain and increased appetite are both included for a lot of birth control's side effects. Not everyone experiences them but both are possible and different from eachother. This post is merely to gain information on people's experiences with different birth controls. I did have a very active and healthy friend gain a little under 14 pounds with the depo shot and it was much more difficult for her to lose the weight and keep it off so doctors recommended trying something else. Birth control shouldn't be used as an excuse for being over-weight; I think that very few things qualify as an excuse for it but that doesn't take away from the very real potential side effects.

No, I know. I was trying to make the point that functionally, it doesn't make a difference whether the reason for the observed weight gain that often accompanies BCP is increased appetite or some other mechanism. End result is the same, and it's unrealistic to expect people to cope with ongoing hunger. It's not sustainable over long periods.
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options

It was stated earlier in the thread that studies have shown that ~5 lbs can actually be attributed to hormonal birth control. The metabolic effect is not significant enough to cause massive weight gain, and no I'm not kidding. "Craving" =/= "hunger."

Also, hormonal birth control is not "crap." It has played a huge role in the sexual health and freedom of women for decades. Dismissing something like hormonal birth control as "crap" is offensive to the women who take it (for both gynecological health reasons and for pregnancy prevention).

Yes, BC has played a role in women's sexual freedom, props to that. Yes, it is often recommended for reproductive issues, some people have to take it.

Does it involve risk of blood clot/stroke, psychological side effects, weight gain, bloating, etc etc, yes. I think it's crap, you can call it what you want.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

52377-Jennifer-Lawrence-I-love-you-g-5FtM.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

No, I know. I was trying to make the point that functionally, it doesn't make a difference whether the reason for the observed weight gain that often accompanies BCP is increased appetite or some other mechanism. End result is the same, and it's unrealistic to expect people to cope with ongoing hunger. It's not sustainable over long periods.

Except an increase in "appetite" does not mean an increase in "hunger." Your weight is still in your own hands if you are on medication with weight gain listed as a side effect. Eating at a caloric deficit will still cause weight loss and eating at maintenance will still prevent weight gain on medication.

Blaming birth control for putting on a significant amount of weight is a cop-out.
  • tomatoey
    edited March 2015
    Options

Except an increase in "appetite" does not mean an increase in "hunger." Your weight is still in your own hands if you are on medication with weight gain listed as a side effect. Eating at a caloric deficit will still cause weight loss and eating at maintenance will still prevent weight gain on medication.

Blaming birth control for putting on a significant amount of weight is a cop-out.

You are technically correct but also naive about long-term weight loss and maintenance.

*you are not, imo, correct about 'appetite' vs 'hunger', but about CICO.
  • dawn_noelle29
    dawn_noelle29 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Mirena IUD - I rarely have my period, have had no problem losing weight, and it's so much better than having to remember a pill everyday.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Yes, BC has played a role in women's sexual freedom, props to that. Yes, it is often recommended for reproductive issues, some people have to take it.

Does it involve risk of blood clot/stroke, psychological side effects, weight gain, bloating, etc etc, yes. I think it's crap, you can call it what you want.

You are moving the goal posts, big time.

There are side effects with any medication, and context has a lot to do with the risk of birth control, which is why going with your doctor's recommendations is the best idea for OP. Chances are, if you're over 45, a smoker, overweight with a genetic predisposition for blood clots, then hormonal BC may not be for you. There are ways to alleviate risks, and taking it under a doctor's supervision should not be an issue for most women.

Even the most benign medications have side effects/risks associated with them. Singling out something as beneficial (for many, many women) as hormonal birth control and calling it crap because it has *some* risk is ridiculous.
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I haven't tested it for "birth control-birth control", but I'm on Falmina pill (now the generic for it) and it never made me gain weight. I use it to regulate my period and everything, and it's been great for me. Very occasional spotting, but I mean very occasional. Some can make you retain water, but I haven't encountered this in the years I've been on it. Not sure if that helps much, but there ya go!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Besides condoms, I've used 3 other birth control methods: a 3 month pill, paraguard IUD, and Lo loestrin (lowest hormone does that I know of). I didn't experience weight gain on any of them.

However, given your experience with pills, paraguard may be a good choice. There's a pretty steep transition period, but once you've gotten through that, there is no hormone being released, so it may help with your sickness on the pill. It does come with heavier bleeds and more cramping for some people. I had to have it out because I began to bleed constantly. However, that is not a normal reaction and shouldn't scare you off. I have also recently been diagnosed with PCOS, which could have been contributing to this experience.

On the 3 month pill, I had problems with depression that were partly brought on by the pill. On the Lo loestrin, magic happened. This was a fantastic pill for me. Have you tried different pills or just one type? Not all pills are created equal, just like people are all different.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I realize birth control itself is not going to cause significant weight gain. The purpose of this thread is to find out if people have actually experienced weight gain from birth control as many list it as a side effect.

Science says no, there's no connection between weight gain and hormonal birth control. Most of it is confirmation bias. Although many people claim it is a side effect, there is no scientific basis.

Patch/pill and weight gain: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18843652
    Study on nocebo/confirmation bias: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21134497
    Pill & Primates (pill actually assisting with weight loss by raising metabolic rate): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21126966
    Adverse side effects/weight gain were the same/similar in placebo groups as in BC groups:
    http://www.contraceptionjournal.org/article/S0010-7824(01)00208-6/abstract?cc=y

The most helpful for your question (on different types of birth control), this is a metastudy on a variety of BC methods across 49 trials. No impact on weight: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0012456/
  • tomatoey
    Options

You are moving the goal posts, big time.

There are side effects with any medication, and context has a lot to do with the risk of birth control, which is why going with your doctor's recommendations is the best idea for OP. Chances are, if you're over 45, a smoker, overweight with a genetic predisposition for blood clots, then hormonal BC may not be for you. There are ways to alleviate risks, and taking it under a doctor's supervision should not be an issue for most women.

Even the most benign medications have side effects/risks associated with them. Singling out something as beneficial (for many, many women) as hormonal birth control and calling it crap because it has *some* risk is ridiculous.

Can you explain why women are running in droves to BC options that involve much lower doses of hormones than BCPs, like the IUDs people are suggesting? It's because the BCP mostly sucks for most women.