Attn: WOMAN what birth controls are effective without rapid weight gain?

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    emily9423 wrote: »
    Almost all birth control has potential for weight gain

No, it doesn't. Eating more calories than you burn causes you to gain weight.
    Almost all birth control has potential for weight gain

No, it doesn't. Eating more calories than you burn causes you to gain weight.

While I agree, almost all birth controls list unexplained weight gain in the side effects. All I'm wondering is how accurate that is.

Some have the potential to increase your appetite, but if you monitor your intake, and do it accurately, you should not have issues just because of birth control.

Except for the issue of living with unnecessary and distracting hunger...

Not really. It's not actual "hunger," it's more of a peckish feeling that can be easily overcome with another distraction (like exercise). Kind of like the cravings that one may get with that TOM. If you eat mindlessly, you can gain weight. If you monitor your intake and understand that you're not really hungry, you can easily stick to your deficit.

If you're really that much more hungry on birth control pills, then up your activity level and eat at a more modest deficit. It's not that hard to do, honestly.

Ok, then the physician monographs that describe weight gain as a thing that very often happens as a result of people taking BCP (whether it's because of increased "peckish feelings", lol are you kidding, or because of some alteration of metabolism) are just a fairy tale. Thanks for clearing things up!

I don't have this issue because I don't take that crap.

It was stated earlier in the thread that studies have shown that ~5 lbs can actually be attributed to hormonal birth control. The metabolic effect is not significant enough to cause massive weight gain, and no I'm not kidding. "Craving" =/= "hunger."

Also, hormonal birth control is not "crap." It has played a huge role in the sexual health and freedom of women for decades. Dismissing something like hormonal birth control as "crap" is offensive to the women who take it (for both gynecological health reasons and for pregnancy prevention).

*Edit: too many words

Yes, BC has played a role in women's sexual freedom, props to that. Yes, it is often recommended for reproductive issues, some people have to take it.

Does it involve risk of blood clot/stroke, psychological side effects, weight gain, bloating, etc etc, yes. I think it's crap, you can call it what you want.

You are moving the goal posts, big time.

There are side effects with any medication, and context has a lot to do with the risk of birth control, which is why going with your doctor's recommendations is the best idea for OP. Chances are, if you're over 45, a smoker, overweight with a genetic predisposition for blood clots, then hormonal BC may not be for you. There are ways to alleviate risks, and taking it under a doctor's supervision should not be an issue for most women.

Even the most benign medications have side effects/risks associated with them. Singling out something as beneficial (for many, many women) as hormonal birth control and calling it crap because it has *some* risk is ridiculous.

Can you explain why women are running in droves to BC options that involve much lower doses of hormones than BCPs, like the IUDs people are suggesting? It's because the BCP mostly sucks for most women.

Just because different hormones affect women differently does not mean the the pill in general "sucks for most women."

Also, convenience has a lot to do with switching to something like Implanon or Mirena. It's tough to remember to take a pill at the same time every day. Not taking the pill correctly increases a woman's chances of getting pregnant.

Thank you for contributing to my argument.

Antibiotics can also diminish the effectiveness of the pill.

How does my response contribute to your argument?

Many medications interfere with one another - doesn't mean that they shouldn't be taken under a doctor's supervision.

Grapefruit interferes with statins. I guess the people who rely on those medications to control their cholesterol levels should stop taking them because something can render them ineffective.

Compliance issues (having to remember to take the pill every day) are another way BCPs suck.

Your argument was that hormonal birth control was crap. Mirena, Implanon, Nuva Ring - these are all hormonal birth control that can be easier and more convenient for women to take than the pill.

If one can remember to take the pill every day and has no issues with compliance, then there is nothing wrong with them taking it. Many women have no issues with the pill. There are just many other methods of birth control these days.

Yes, they are all hormonal birth control methods, many of which also have negative side effects comparable to the pill for some women. Just a little less.

I don't know why you care so much what I think about all this, but I'm flattered! Anyway, I'm out. Fight on!

I personally don't care what you think about birth control, but understand that calling something "crap" that has improved the lives of so many is going to elicit some strong responses on a public forum. If you personally don't want to take it, who cares. However, if you don't want your strong opinion of it (which, IMO, comes from ignorance on the subject) to be countered, then maybe you should keep it to yourself.

I'm not a gynecologist, granted, but I've taken the pill, I've read about it, I'm done with it, and I've said how I feel about it. And, I don't much mind what other people think about my opinion; they're free (and welcome) to have whatever response they like.
  • emily9423
    emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You all need to chill out...I just wanted to know what people's experiences were. If you read reviews online about birth control they get pretty crazy and scary. I just wanted individual experiences not people arguing about whose opinion is more right. You're all right in one way or another because it is your own PERSONAL opinion; everyone is different, take a deep breath.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    He got a vasectomy a couple of years ago.
    I was on the depo shot for a number of years. I didn't have any weight gain and didn't have a period.

I would discuss with your Dr your options and what would be best for you. :)
    Good luck!
  • mlpettit
    mlpettit Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    IUS
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I used to use oral bc pills but at some point I became very sensitive to their side effects and had to stop taking them. Then I became very sensitive to my own normal hormonal fluctuations and was just a wreck.

Now I use the Nuva Ring and I LOVE it. The hormone dosage is much smaller than with pills and since it is directly applied to the vaginal area, systemic effects are minimized. I have never had a problem with it. Ask your doctor about it.

Edited to add: I never noticed any weight gain associated with any type of hormonal birth control.

Depo Provera (the bc "shot") is the bc method which is most notorious for causing weight gain and acne. However, not every woman has these problems with Depo.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Condoms

this. zero side effects.

Except they’re messy, not particularly effective, and no fun at all… But whatever works for each person, of course.
  • Meggers003
    Meggers003 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been using nuvaring, it's been great alternative to taking hormonal contraceptive. There are still hormones but they're directly delivered to the area
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I've taken several different BCPs and never had an issue with weight gain.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Condoms

this. zero side effects.

Except they’re messy, not particularly effective, and no fun at all… But whatever works for each person, of course.

different strokes for different folks, agree
  • WitchofWashington
    WitchofWashington Posts: 158 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I didn't gain weight because of birth control, but once I had the weight the hormones in the birth control I was using was making it harder to lose the weight. I've been on pills, depo, and now I have and IUD, mine is the mirena one, so it has some hormones still, but not as much. I think next time I might go with the copper one, as it has no hormones in it. As a side not, I do want to say I take several medications that cause weight gain due to some mental health issues and a few other ailments.
  • kiradot
    kiradot Posts: 4
    Options
    paragard iud. I had this after my first two children. I had it in for about 5 years and then removed it (paragard is good for 10 years) to have my third. zero hormones, no side effects. worth looking into at least.
  • emily9423
    emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Meggers003 wrote: »
    I've been using nuvaring, it's been great alternative to taking hormonal contraceptive. There are still hormones but they're directly delivered to the area

This might be a super invasive question so feel free not to answer but do you find yourself noticing that the nuva ring is in?
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    NOT the depo shot. You WILL gain weight from depo. Every woman I know that's been on it (including me) has gained at least 15 pounds from it.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    kiradot wrote: »
    paragard iud. I had this after my first two children. I had it in for about 5 years and then removed it (paragard is good for 10 years) to have my third. zero hormones, no side effects. worth looking into at least.

It can have side effects. I have one, now. The periods are long, heavy and painful. I wouldn't recommend if someone who has periods like this without one....I can't imagine what it would be like!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've used three or four different BCPs, the Mirena IUD and Nuvaring over the past 10 years. None of them made me gain weight (they did increase my appetite which took a bit of getting used to after switching to each new method).

I like the Nuvaring the best (I don't feel it once it's inserted, similar feeling to inserting a tampon and then forgetting it's there).

I had issues with the Mirena where I got benign cysts, so during any activity (sex, or PAP exams) where the strings were disturbed and it shifted, I would bleed and cramp like crazy for 2 days after, which was rather annoying.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    All the hormone varieties made me act like a psycho and eat like a horse. I finally just got the Essure procedure done. Its nice, no surgery just a couple little wires placed in the tubes and the scar tissue blocks them off. Took the doc like 10 min and I have been free of birth control (and additional babies) ever since.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Pull out

Uh, no.

I've been on birth control since I was 16 and have never experienced weight gain solely from the pill. I'm currently on the generic for Tri-Sprintec, but I've tried several in the past.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    FYI though I would seriously advise abstinence if you are not in a long term committed relationship. I work for a public health company and if you think the side effects of birth control pills are bad, you will not like the side effects of STDs or their medications. Babies are not the only thing that you can get from playing it fast and loose.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's not scientific evidence, but I went on depo after losing weight on MFP and keeping it off for about three years. Even while still exercising the same and tracking my calories, and not feeling any increase in appetite, I gained weight after the third injection, and it wouldn't budge for a good six months after that third shot, when my periods finally started returning. (Granted, I wasn't willing to cut my calories THAT much. I'm sure if I ate like 1200 calories a day, I'd have lost, but I'd also feel like crap. And I knew from past experience I should be able to lose on anything below 2000.)

The first time I went on depo and gained weight? Yeah, I might be able to chalk that one up to eating more. This last time, though.... it's not like I suddenly forgot how to log my food and calories. I don't claim to understand the science behind it, but I think it changed the way my metabolism functioned, whether that was handling glucose differently or something that just altered the way my body burned calories.

I really liked not having my period, though. I almost wish I wasn't so vain that an extra 10-15 pounds bothered me. ;)
  • Improve1
    Improve1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Depo Provera, the shot, is known to cause a lot of weight gain. I have friends that were avg weight and gained 20lbs rapidly with no change in exercise.