Attn: WOMAN what birth controls are effective without rapid weight gain?

Options

Replies

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I use the nuvaring as well. I can't speak to weight gain - I started it about the same time that I stopped caring what I put in my mouth, so I gained a lot of weight. I *feel* like it's harder to lose weight on it. Not sure if birth control has some slight metabolic effect for me, or if it's age or what.

I like the ring because I only have to think about it once a month. I don't have any major side effects, except my periods are lighter. :)
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Condoms

This^^

ETA: Sorry, just saw you're not interested in them.
  • KBurkhardt08
    KBurkhardt08 Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have the paragard IUD. It doesnt have any hormones so if hormones tend to cause problems for you it could work. Instead of using hormones it is a copper instrument which is known to kill semen and it still as effective as the Mirena. Talk to your doctor and see what they say about the benefits of both.

I've never had any weight issues with it and I've had it for a couple of years now.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    last year my doctor recommended vaginal contraceptive film and I'm now a big fan:
    http://www.vcfcontraceptive.com/whatisvcf.html

We used those for a while. Super easy.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    last year my doctor recommended vaginal contraceptive film and I'm now a big fan:

As low as 74% effective? I don't think I'd take the chance. :\
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

Good point. We did couple it with condoms around ovulation.

Then I switched to a diaphragm. Loved that.
  • emily9423
    emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

Yeah, while I'm definitely thankful for the information right now I'm deciding between implanon and mirena.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Mirena, but my strings poke my hub
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Do not get the depo shot! It basically makes it so you don't feel full. Every time I ask a healthcare professional outright about the shot they basically agree that it will make you gain weight. The pill 'Heather' also made me gain weight, same hormones. I'm currently on Mirena and losing weight at a healthy rate post pregnancy.
  • emily9423
    emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

That's what I'm worried about with mirena. Well also the idea of having something constantly up there is very uncomfortable to me haha
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This was my experience as well with the copper IUD.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's a shame wheat they cut the strings too short. That happened with my last one, too. Previously they left the stings quite long and they would tuck right up around my cervix (TMI?) and he couldn't feel them at all.
  • ashtonladkins
    ashtonladkins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Paragard is non-hormonal and I have lost nearly 15 lbs with it.

I am sensitive to progesterone (sp?) heavy birth control (Mirena and Depo Shot) and I gained 10 lbs on Mirena, in addition to a bunch of other nasty side-effects.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have never had string poking issues.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    emily9423 wrote: »

That's what I'm worried about with mirena. Well also the idea of having something constantly up there is very uncomfortable to me haha

I have Mirena, and my BF is on the longer side lol, and he has no issue with the strings. And I can't even feel it up there, not once has it been uncomfortable since I've had it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,496 Member
    Options
    I know it's a problematic pill, but I'm still using Yasmin as I have no side effects whatsoever with it. Not much bloating (I do gain a bit of water weight when I do a stop week), no moods or other problems, no weight gain, and the menstruation is very mild. Oh, and lots of fun in bed ;)

Only slight annoyance is that I do need to make a stop week every 6-9 weeks as the pill seems to be too weak to go on.
  • Fayeworth
    Fayeworth Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Microgynon. Been on it for years and still lost the weight I've wanted to.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Mirena all the way for me.... Couldn't ever find a BC pill that didn't send me completely over the edge :) The hormone is very low level and targeted. Everyone reacts differently to different things, but I haven't had a single issue.. Biggest bonus for me was no more TOM... And my gyn cut the strings short so my fella has never noticed a thing :D. Good luck
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I used the Paraguard iud (like Mirena, but without the hormones). I had no problems.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    emily9423 wrote: »
    I have had this conversation with my doctor and it's up to me now to do research and decide what form I want to try next. That's the point of this thread; I just want to see what others experiences have been to aid in my decision. Almost all birth control has potential for weight gain so I was just wondering how many experienced it while actively trying to lose weight.

Obviously condoms and abstinence are technically options but they are not what I am looking for.

I've been using Lo Loestrin. It has changed my life and NO Weight gain. I started on it for my PMDD.

Good luck!