TO SWEAT OR NOT TO SWEAT-GYM ETIQUETTE

Options

Replies

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Knowing I'm a drippy person, I always tried to take an end treadmill, and one with good ventilation, or a buffer of one empty between me and the next person. If someone chooses to be right next to me, when they see me running and sweating, that's their choice and their own fault if they're in the splash zone.

I've since quit the gym and only run outside.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Yeah...if the issue is that he's sweating profusely when working out..that's silly. If the issue is that he was sweating all over the machine and didn't wipe it down after, that's inconsiderate. Sometimes when I workout I can get all kinds of sweaty..it can be gross, but that's why I'm there, to get the best workout I can, and usually that involves copious amounts of sweat. If someone has a problem with that they can stay the heck away from me...but I'll always clean the machine when I'm done.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    sweating, breathing hard, looking exhausted, turning red....

i mean, so inconsiderate!

So you basically hate me?

you, myself, everyone! WE ARE ALL SO RUDE!

:P
    Oo. Tomorrow is Friday, mean people thread.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Well, it's a gym...sweat pretty much comes with the territory. How does one contain their sweat. I mean, etiquette would dictate that you wipe down the equipment and if he didn't do that, there's some legit beef to be had...but insisting someone "contain" their sweat is about the weirdest thing I've ever heard.
  • AnnWashington817
    AnnWashington817 Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use to hate to sweat....and that is why I was overweight. Now I don't leave unless I am dripping sweat. It is not flinging on others I stay in my lane and I hope others will as well. I have a rag to wipe but it continues...I can't be prim and proper at the gym, but never nasty or violating others space and I spray and wipe after I leave. Now I got sprayed with the solution yesterday.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    OP: I think you should be worrying less about someone else working hard and omg sweating... if it bothers you so much go do something else, or work out at home.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    sweating, breathing hard, looking exhausted, turning red....

i mean, so inconsiderate!

So you basically hate me?

you, myself, everyone! WE ARE ALL SO RUDE!

:P
    Oo. Tomorrow is Friday, mean people thread.

No it's not tomorrow is Thursday.... MEANIE!!!!! :angry:
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Well, it's a gym...sweat pretty much comes with the territory. How does one contain their sweat. I mean, etiquette would dictate that you wipe down the equipment and if he didn't do that, there's some legit beef to be had...but insisting someone "contain" their sweat is about the weirdest thing I've ever heard.

I know, right? Like I'm going to collect it in a jar and take it home.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Makes you wonder about other activities some people sweat doing right?
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use to hate to sweat....and that is why I was overweight. Now I don't leave unless I am dripping sweat. It is not flinging on others I stay in my lane and I hope others will as well. I have a rag to wipe but it continues...I can't be prim and proper at the gym, but never nasty on violating others.

You are considerate which is good, not everyone is. I have found pools of sweat in my gym after a cycling class that someone just left there.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

I know, right? Like I'm going to collect it in a jar and take it home.

That is very polite of you to offer. Thank you for being so considerate. ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    dougii wrote: »
    OP - how exactly does one "contain" their sweat??? Most rediculous thing I have heard on here in ages......

wait until someone hits you in the face with their sweat....

Is he flicking his hair around like Christie Brinkley in a Prell shampoo commercial? Doing jazz hands while stair stepping? I'm trying to figure out how his sweat is landing on you.

I was thinking the same thing. Is this guy really just a shaggy dog after a bath? :confused:

giphy.gif
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I use to hate to sweat....and that is why I was overweight. Now I don't leave unless I am dripping sweat. It is not flinging on others I stay in my lane and I hope others will as well. I have a rag to wipe but it continues...I can't be prim and proper at the gym, but never nasty on violating others.

You are considerate which is good, not everyone is. I have found pools of sweat in my gym after a cycling class that someone just left there.

BAHAHAHA
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    wait, a guy was sweating in a gym? Why the hell would anyone sweat in a gym ...??? I don't understand what is going on here....

I thought you were supposed to stand around and do nothing in a gym...?
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    sweat wipe repeat
  • FL_NATIVE
    FL_NATIVE Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is this a trick question? I believe the etiquette is, don't sweat on anyone else, wipe of the gear when your done. Beyond that, I don't know what is expected.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    dougii wrote: »
    OP - how exactly does one "contain" their sweat??? Most rediculous thing I have heard on here in ages......

wait until someone hits you in the face with their sweat....

did this guy have projectile sweat????
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-32417-1389823903-18.gif
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sweat wipe repeat
    every minute? unreasonable request, some people are sweatier than others because of biology. are you trolling??
This discussion has been closed.