TO SWEAT OR NOT TO SWEAT-GYM ETIQUETTE

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    sweating, breathing hard, looking exhausted, turning red....

i mean, so inconsiderate!

So you basically hate me?

you, myself, everyone! WE ARE ALL SO RUDE!

:P
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Long story longer, there is another person that comes in around the time I'm getting done, always grabs the treadmill next to mine, and on these days gives me a dirty look and perfusely cleans the belt of the treadmill.

Oh noz...sweat.

He cleans the belt?! I'll bet there are worse things on his shoes already lol
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »

Long story longer, there is another person that comes in around the time I'm getting done, always grabs the treadmill next to mine, and on these days gives me a dirty look and perfusely cleans the belt of the treadmill.

Oh noz...sweat.

thats kinda what im thinking lol
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    dougii wrote: »
    OP - how exactly does one "contain" their sweat??? Most rediculous thing I have heard on here in ages......

wait until someone hits you in the face with their sweat....

It took this long to actually say something that is a concern.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Oh noz...sweat.

Worse than sweat? I doubt it.
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Oh noz...sweat.

LOL!!!
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    nstock wrote: »
    What is going on here?! :s are we seriously complaining about people SWEATING AT THE GYM?!!? You must not use the stairmaster, because anyone who has, knows you're DRIPPING sweat on there. As long as it's wiped down, who cares!

As long as it is wiped.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I sweat beer and shame. :'(
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Unless he leaves the machine covered in sweat when he is done, I see no problem here.

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I must offend a lot of people at my gym because I am a sweat hog. My trainer actually refers to my drips of sweat my river of glory. I mean I clean up the equipment when I am finished but yeah it is pretty nasty when I am using...oh and I do breathe heavy and make noises. Oppises my gym bad!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OP - how exactly does one "contain" their sweat??? Most rediculous thing I have heard on here in ages......

Is he flicking his hair around like Christie Brinkley in a Prell shampoo commercial? Doing jazz hands while stair stepping? I'm trying to figure out how his sweat is landing on you.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    This morning I had the unpleasant experience of working out next to a guy who was sweating all over the Stairmaster. On the steps, handles, everywhere and he did not care one bit. I wanted to go over to the desk and buy him a towel, really??? What are your personal gym etiquette rules Or things you think people should not be doing at the gym?

I know what you mean. There is one man in the gym and he uses the eliptical machine without the arm resistance handles and holds onto the machine itself and runs so fast the arm resistance handles bang back and forth and he yells really loud....sweats profusely in the process....like there is "no one in the room but him"

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Stop standing directly under the stairmaster?
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Is he flicking his hair around like Christie Brinkley in a Prell shampoo commercial? Doing jazz hands while stair stepping? I'm trying to figure out how his sweat is landing on you.

I was thinking the same thing. Is this guy really just a shaggy dog after a bath? :confused:
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    "wait until someone hits you in the face with their sweat...."

OP - I've been going to the gym for years and have worked out next to some mighty sweaty, smelly individuals....and yet I have NEVER been hit anywhere by someone elses sweat....come on, you have to be joking, right. And if I were "sweat bombed" I would move to another area of the gym or another machine..... The guy has a right to sweat as much as he wants as he is obviously working his *kitten* off.....literally. Give me a break......
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

Oh noz...sweat.

Worse than sweat? I doubt it.

You're right, what was I thinking? Sweat is totally the worst thing you can have on your shoes.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Most gyms that I have been to ask or require you to bring a towel or they provide disposable wipes so you can wipe the machine down (most people do it at Gold's where I workout, and don't seem to think it's a big deal). Let's be honest, we all sweat at the gym (duh). My nose runs sometimes when I'm really getting into some cardio, and of course I wipe it and immediately put my hands back on the bars. People dig in their butts, adjust their nuts, and all kinds of nasty nasty so to me it's just common courtesy to wipe the machine off after you have been using it. I'll probably go to the gym later, and being that I'm getting over being sick, I'll definitely wipe down the machine after I use it with the sanitizing wipes. I don't see what the big deal is.

I don't think the post was meant to be against sweating, but more so that it is a bit rude to use a machine and not give it a once over with your towel after you have sweated all over it. It takes less than a minute - you just finished a good sweaty workout, don't tell me that you're too lazy to wipe down your machine after all that.
  • RalfyJ90
    RalfyJ90 Posts: 17
    Options
    going to the gym and expecting not to sweat that's like going swimming and expect you not to get wet
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

The visual of this just made my day! Thank you :smiley:

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Sweating is to be expected at a gym. I definitely understand your pain though, it is gross. I also hate how smelly it makes the gym but that comes with the package. The only real problem would be if he didn't clean/ wipe up after himself.
This discussion has been closed.