TO SWEAT OR NOT TO SWEAT-GYM ETIQUETTE

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Huh? I love the stairmaster precisely for that reason. 30-45 minutes of intervals on there and the entire machine and I are soaked. The best workouts are the sweatiest. Just wipe down afterwards.

Yes I have no problem with sweating

giphy.gif
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm totally with you on this. Know what else I hate? People who exhale and spread their carbon dioxide all over the place. Keep it to yourself, jerks.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Were you upset because he was sweating, or because he wasn't wiping off the sweat with a towel before it hit the floor? This is an important question as my response relies dramatically on your answer.

Sweat yes, but contain it please.

If I'm going to sweat I wear one of these.

Z5H580.JPG
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    OP - how exactly does one "contain" their sweat??? Most rediculous thing I have heard on here in ages......
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Things people should not be doing at the gym:
    1. Eating chicken soup on the Stairmaster.
    2. Hanging their undies in the squat rack
    3. Doing their taxes on the spin bikes
    4. Drinking champagne in the locker rooms

wow...chicken soup on the Stairmaster.........
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I went in the sauna at my gym the other day and people were sweating all over the place. So rude. I made my excuses and left.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    sweating, breathing hard, looking exhausted, turning red....

i mean, so inconsiderate!

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If you don't like people sweating like this, don't go to a gym. Simple.

First world problems.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yes please everyone contain your sweat will ya! ;)
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Were you upset because he was sweating, or because he wasn't wiping off the sweat with a towel before it hit the floor? This is an important question as my response relies dramatically on your answer.

Sweat yes, but contain it please.

Phew, I am glad you said that :smile: . People go to the gym to sweat. I use the stairmaster once a week for about 45 minutes and am dripping sweat when done. I do try to wipe it off as it happens as I don't like sweat going in my eyes, but when you are working out and sweating like crazy sweat isn't just confined to coming from your head, I sweat from my arms etc. like it actually drips off of my hands and elbows. So if some drips off and lands on the machine I am diligent about wiping it up when I am done. Not everyone does this and yes it's gross, but you have to realize that you are in a gym where sweating happens ALOT. I will wipe down all of my equimpent before and after each use just for this pupose.

• jadezia
    jadezia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I... I think OP just meant the guy didn't clean up after himself. Totally okay to sweat, just, ya' know, wipe it up. If I have to use my towel to clean up someone else's sweat, and then go to wipe sweat off of my face, its just not sanitary.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my assumption is the guy just wasn't cleaning up after himself. Its proper to reset weights on equipment, and its proper to wipe the equipment off afterwards.

Right? D:
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    In for the hilarious comments and OP's contradictory responses
    wIxN7.gif
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    sweating, breathing hard, looking exhausted, turning red....

i mean, so inconsiderate!

So you basically hate me?
  • philasaurus_rex
    philasaurus_rex Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Someone is putting work in at the gym and sweating. That's uncanny! As long as dude cleans up after themselves, then who cares?!

Bigger things in life to concern ourselves with than the amount one sweats when on a stairmaster.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If you don't like people sweating like this, don't go to a gym. Simple.

First world problems.

I THOUGHT THIS WAS A PLACE FOR SUPPORT
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    LOL, this reminds me of my gym. Our treadmills are like 2inches apart, and by the end of my run I usually have sweat coming off my fingers onto my treadmill. If I forget to close the cap of my water bottle tight, during my first sprint I can send a little water onto the belt of the one next to me. It makes it look like I'm sending sweat in like a 5ft radius....one way.

Long story longer, there is another person that comes in around the time I'm getting done, always grabs the treadmill next to mine, and on these days gives me a dirty look and perfusely cleans the belt of the treadmill.

Oh noz...sweat.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I can sweat a lot when I workout. I used to get embarrassed about it, since I'd be leaving sweat drops/marks on the floor or benches. Then I got over it because well, I'm working my *kitten* off so of course I'm going to sweat! I do bring a towel and I clean up after myself, but I'm not going to stop every two minutes to wipe down what I'm using. I'll clean it when I'm done.

He was doing nothing wrong, and if it grosses you out you are free to move to another area.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Can someone repeat the question. I don't' understand.
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    dougii wrote: »
    OP - how exactly does one "contain" their sweat??? Most rediculous thing I have heard on here in ages......

wait until someone hits you in the face with their sweat....
  • nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What is going on here?! :s are we seriously complaining about people SWEATING AT THE GYM?!!? You must not use the stairmaster, because anyone who has, knows you're DRIPPING sweat on there. As long as it's wiped down, who cares!
This discussion has been closed.