Yep, male chauvanism still exists

Options

Replies

• tjcuipylo
    tjcuipylo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    530roman wrote: »
    tjcuipylo wrote: »
    Everything is wrong with gender roles. What a person "should" or "should not" do is has NOTHING to do with their gender. A woman is supposed to do whatever she dang well pleases. There is no "woman's job" and no "man's job". If staying home with your kids doesn't make you feel like a man, then you're probably not much of one to begin with.

You say there's no "man's job" and "woman's job" but tell that to my kitchen. Seriously, tell it to my kitchen. Tell it to my kitchen while you're making me a sandwich.

I'll pass, but maybe my BF can as he's the one that does all of the cooking in the house.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My husband is a stay at home dad. He works a heck of a lot harder than I do, that's for sure. I actually laughed out loud at the idea that a stay at home parent somehow has tons of spare time to just sit around and stare at walls and stuff.

We have both heard some positive and negative things about him staying home. And some things are just crazy.
    To me: "Oh, so you wear the pants, eh?" um..wut.
    To me: "How can you just leave your kids behind and choose to work and let your husband sit around with the kids all day?" Oh, thanks for the guilt trip. We didn't choose for my husband to be a stay at home dad, it just happened.
    To my husband: "Wow, your wife brings home the paycheck, does that make you feel like less of a man?"
    To my husband: "Do you do all the womanly things like cooking and cleaning too?"

Some of the things people say (and think) are just strange.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Everything is wrong with gender roles. What a person "should" or "should not" do is has NOTHING to do with their gender. A woman is supposed to do whatever she dang well pleases. There is no "woman's job" and no "man's job". If staying home with your kids doesn't make you feel like a man, then you're probably not much of one to begin with.

You say there's no "man's job" and "woman's job" but tell that to my kitchen. Seriously, tell it to my kitchen. Tell it to my kitchen while you're making me a sandwich.

I'll pass, but maybe my BF can as he's the one that does all of the cooking in the house.

No thanks. I only want a sandwich prepared by a woman's hands. That's not the job of a man.
  • tjcuipylo
    Options

No thanks. I only want a sandwich prepared by a woman's hands. That's not the job of a man.

I guess you're SOL then. He happens to make a killer sandwich.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I think any woman could have told you that LOL

for years, I worked and my husband stayed home. then we switched. now he's disabled and cant work, and i work at home so i can look after him (and kids, and pets).

sexism exists. racism exists. homophobia exists. sucks, but it does, even in todays world.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    alywei3773 wrote: »
    I don't think that is necessarily insulting nor chauvinist. Everyone has a different way of doing things and some people are genuinely surprised if traditional roles are not upheld in a household.

This.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'd be a great stay at home dad... Too bad I hate kids.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options

With cutting-edge jokes like that, I imagine Comedy Central is beating down your door to get you a stand up special!
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    *facepalm* what an ignorant thing to say to someone and he sounds old school as that sounds like something my dad would say back in the 70's. One of my former colleagues is a proud stay at home father who works from home. He is an all around great guy to work with, one of his conditions of employment was to be able to work from home so that he could deal with child care.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    pizza-rolls-not-gender-roles.png
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SyzygyX wrote: »

With cutting-edge jokes like that, I imagine Comedy Central is beating down your door to get you a stand up special!

Jokes? And Comedy Central isn't even funny... do you only have basic cable?!
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sadly it is like racism...always just below the surface, just waiting to rear it's ugly head.
  • sbetts2229
    sbetts2229 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    machelle04 wrote: »
    Nice job on winning your fantasy football championship! Next question did you throat punch the idiot?
    Best possible response!

• tjcuipylo
    Options
    SyzygyX wrote: »
    pizza-rolls-not-gender-roles.png

lol yes!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Can he make me one?
    I suck at making sandwiches... and stir-fry...
    But I can make cheesecake...
    Trade?
  • tjcuipylo
    Options

Can he make me one?
    I suck at making sandwiches... and stir-fry...
    But I can make cheesecake...
    Trade?

We're actually having stir-fry tonight! You bring the cheesecake and it sounds like a perfect evening.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ask him what the hell he's doing at the gym, wasn't he supposed to be mowing the lawn and cleaning the gutters? He doesn't have time to work that fat *kitten* off, he's got lawnwork to do.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My husband had a fishing buddy(no longer hangs out with him) who he wouldn't let me meet because he knew the guy and I would prob have a problem with each other because he was such a chauvinist, example: at a party his wife had to stay by his side or behind him at all times, she followed him from room to room and wasn't allowed to mingle on her own and that was the tip of the iceburg. Yeah we woulda gone head to head. I also wouldn't have liked or respected his wife so.........yeah.
  • wish2bsmall
    wish2bsmall Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Holy crap. That guy is a choad. His partner must be miserable.

I'm the main breadwinner myself; I work more hours for pay. Hubby and I split up the chores. We do not have kids. I occasionally ask him to take on more things when I'm on a tight deadline and just don't have enough hours to do my usual chores. What a woman is "supposed" to do, he says? Screw that. It is up to a couple to negotiate how they want to handle the responsibilities, not somehow intrinsically assigned according to what type of junk someone has in their pants. He'll end up old and lonely. Women get sick of that nonsense.
    I wish it was possible to like replies.
    This one pretty much sums it up for me. :joy:
  • machelle04
    machelle04 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    rhonderoo wrote: »
    Ask him what the hell he's doing at the gym, wasn't he supposed to be mowing the lawn and cleaning the gutters? He doesn't have time to work that fat *kitten* off, he's got lawnwork to do.

Love this response!!!