Is it harder to lose weight as you get older

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    KarenB927 wrote: »
    I look better at 56 than I did when I was 40. I've lost inches in places I never could before, like my thighs. I was always cursed with those saddlebags everyone says you'll never get rid of. Guess what? I got rid of them.

Why couldn't you get rid of them in your 40's?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As I read through this thread it occurs to me that this may be an unanswerable question from a physiological standpoint. You would have to have an equal starting point, equal motivation and effort and use the exact same diet/activity at a young age and an older age to really determine whether age itself made losing weight harder.

Since I have lost weight both as a young person and an older person, I know it's harder for me now. I used the same methods - diet, exercise - both times. But my life outside diet and exercise is very different now than then, so I can't definitively say that age is even in part responsible for it being harder. Only that it is definitively harder now.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    caryb2015 wrote: »
    Yes. Your metabolism slows. If you're a woman and you pass through menopause you lose the thermogenic effects of menstruation. Older folks are typically less active. Older folks typically have less muscle.

That said: it's totally possible. It just takes more determination.

For fun, play with a BMR calculator, and tell it you're 20, then 40, then 60. Watch that number go down. For me (5'6" 135Lbs) that was 1409 at 20, 1309 at 40, and 1209 at 60. Two hundred calories may not seem like much of a difference, but it is.

PS: I turn 50 this weekend (BMR 1259). :)

And don't forget, you also get shorter over those 40 years. If you plug in your height from your high school physical but you're in your 50s, its not going to be accurate so you may be calculating the wrong BMR for yourself. Grrrr.

I'm the same height at 51 that I was at 21.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

And don't forget, you also get shorter over those 40 years. If you plug in your height from your high school physical but you're in your 50s, its not going to be accurate so you may be calculating the wrong BMR for yourself. Grrrr.

I am an inch shorter at 58 than I was at 28. My BMR shows a difference of 166 calories instead of 150 calories if I were the same height. Again, not a significant difference.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I had my first baby at 23 and my body just snapped back to my pre-baby body. I had my second baby at 29 and this time has definitely been harder to get back to my body back.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    the short answer, especially for women, is yes. Harder but not impossible.

Not for all women, though. I had an easy time of taking it off, and I am keeping off, both of which I was unable to accomplish when I was younger.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Crazily enough (or maybe not crazily), at 47, with hypothyroidism and the whole nine yards, I am finding it easier to diet than every before in my life. I think it may be because I am (also for the first time, in any serious way) being VERY honest about my intake and activity and eating at a less drastic deficit. Looking for slow and steady this time around and it is working! And it's SO MUCH easier because I don't feel as if I'm starving.

Lots of blips and bump-ups for not really any discernible reason, but my over-time graph is going down and down.

I am in fact perimenopausal, by the doctor's numbers (in fact I showed a severely slowed egg production and/or poor egg quality four years before my period became erratic - just this past year) as well. Yes, it's a roller coaster ride with these hormones, certainly. NEVER going to discount that, for any woman. It is a ride and I don't mean a joyride, LOL! And my GOD the emotions! I cry at hotels.com commercials. Stop. The Crying. And the water weight, oh it's water, water everywhere Dear goodness!

But yes, I am losing. New low this morning, in fact - happy dance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Losing weight...........probably not. Keeping lean muscle? Definitely. Each year I notice that I'm slightly less in muscle strength and some of my muscular "hardness" takes more attention to keep it that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SLLRunner
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Crazily enough (or maybe not crazily), at 47, with hypothyroidism and the whole nine yards, I am finding it easier to diet than every before in my life. I think it may be because I am (also for the first time, in any serious way) being VERY honest about my intake and activity and eating at a less drastic deficit. Looking for slow and steady this time around and it is working! And it's SO MUCH easier because I don't feel as if I'm starving.

Lots of blips and bump-ups for not really any discernible reason, but my over-time graph is going down and down.

I am in fact perimenopausal, by the doctor's numbers (in fact I showed a severely slowed egg production and/or poor egg quality four years before my period became erratic - just this past year) as well. Yes, it's a roller coaster ride with these hormones, certainly. NEVER going to discount that, for any woman. It is a ride and I don't mean a joyride, LOL! And my GOD the emotions! I cry at hotels.com commercials. Stop. The Crying. And the water weight, oh it's water, water everywhere Dear goodness!

But yes, I am losing. New low this morning, in fact - happy dance.
    Yep, menopause is the part that is not easy for me. Exercise and no limited caffeine help me with that, and my health goals are different than when I was younger. I certainly am more focused now.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am in fact perimenopausal, ... And the water weight, oh it's water, water everywhere Dear goodness!

This, to me, is the most frustrating part. It's so hard to even tell if I'm even actually losing fat. In one week I can gain and lose 5-7 lbs, more than once!!
  • SLLRunner
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Losing weight...........probably not. Keeping lean muscle? Definitely. Each year I notice that I'm slightly less in muscle strength and some of my muscular "hardness" takes more attention to keep it that way.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

While I have noticed amazing changes in my body since starting heavy weight lifting at 51 (light weightlifting in my 30's and 40's), I'm sure muscle build is way slower than it would have been in my twenties, or even thirties. That's if I'm really building any muscle at all, and not just maintaining it. :)
  • Wattyz
    Wattyz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. IME, I didn't have all of these pains that I have now. No plantar fasciitis, no hip pain, no picky eaters you have to work around. ;)
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My body doesn't bounce back from weight gain/loss like it used to. By that I mean, skin tone just isn't what it used to be. It is by far harder for me personally to tone it up. It's not impossible but it's taking a lot longer now that it did in the past. I will say that I'm healthier, stronger and have better stamina now than I did when I was younger, but that's due to really poor habits that I have dropped and a lot of good habits that I have picked up. At 49, I doubt I will ever have the body of a 20 year old but I believe I can feel like one from the inside. That's good enough for now.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

While I have noticed amazing changes in my body since starting heavy weight lifting at 51 (light weightlifting in my 30's and 40's), I'm sure muscle build is way slower than it would have been in my twenties, or even thirties. That's if I'm really building any muscle at all, and not just maintaining it. :)

My experience also, without the earlier weightlifting... didn't start resistance training until my late 40s and perimenopause, and serious lifting only for about the past year.

My saddlebags are now gone too, which is entirely the result of lifting and not weight loss. They've plagued me for decades and at considerably lighter weights.

And I have no idea what my body is doing in there... I call it a "recomp" but I've never actually been able to measure my BF% vs LBM to know if I'm successful at what I'm doing. all I know is my dress slacks are getting noticeably looser (some are now unwearable) without any change in body weight. So something is changing in the right direction.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's not an "excuse" to present facts about an aging body. Older people can lose weight just fine. So there is no need to be anything less than honest.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I am in fact perimenopausal, ... And the water weight, oh it's water, water everywhere Dear goodness!

This, to me, is the most frustrating part. It's so hard to even tell if I'm even actually losing fat. In one week I can gain and lose 5-7 lbs, more than once!!

Mine's from more factors than just the hormone games, but the last 2.5 weeks for me were insane. Had a loss, proceeded to gain about 8 lbs in 2 days, watched that 8 bounce back and forth, down 4, up 4, down 4, up 4. Yesterday, I was .5 over the loss, this morning I was 1.5lbs down, went back to bed, woke up a few hours later, weighed again, another 1 lb down. I curious to see how much more I "lose" tomorrow, and how long it will be before I'm back up the coaster again.

I know I am losing fat, and it shows in measurements, but I honestly have no idea exactly how much. For all I know, I'm down another 20 from when I started logging, and the rest is just retention.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    KarenB927 wrote: »
    I look better at 56 than I did when I was 40. I've lost inches in places I never could before, like my thighs. I was always cursed with those saddlebags everyone says you'll never get rid of. Guess what? I got rid of them.

Why couldn't you get rid of them in your 40's?

most women lose their thigh fat after menopause, because it's only there to support reproductive hormonal stuff - fat tends to move to the stomach after meno

i'd source it but i'm tired, people can look it up
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Almost 50 here
    And no problems losing weight

I am doing the same thing i did 25 years ago and lost 66 pounds in that time ( Only gained about 10 back after i became sedentary. Because of an injury)

So nope going fine here, lost 75 pounds in 5 months till now.

Maybe when you get older you become less active? I dont know.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I am an inch shorter at 58 than I was at 28. My BMR shows a difference of 166 calories instead of 150 calories if I were the same height. Again, not a significant difference.

Getting shorter as we age is a result of compression in the spine due to gravity. It's nothing that impacts BMR.