Does strength training = gaining weight (in muscle)?

Options
124»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    30mphmike wrote: »
    If you want to put on muscle it takes protein at the right time which is all the time- 10 grams every hour or 30 grams every three hours and try to stay in a positive calorie intake of at least 250 calories. I highly recommend 50 grams of casein (slow digesting protein before bed time. The rest is easy just lift weights until your happy with your progress then cut your calories to a deficit of 250 calories while keeping your protein in the 60% range of your total caloric intake and carbs under 15%. I do this every year and it works great..

Building muscle is 80% intake and 20% exercise!!

Muscle is dense so it does take up less space than fat but a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else.. I feel dumber for having to type this..lol.. Good luck
    Timing is irrelevant. If one is in positive nitrogen balance, then they are anabolic (building). If one went 10 grams an hour and was awake 16 hours, that's only 160 grams of protein. For someone over 160lbs, nitrogen balance might be off at that rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

It's also ignoring the fact (caveating that I have only seen studies about this in older subjects), that having a few reasonably large bolus' will probably be more beneficial for MPS than lots of small ones out through the day.
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    She mentioned she runs cross country 6xs a week, don't you guys think that would be detrimental to her muscle gains? Considering while running long distance her body using protein as energy when turning catabolic? Just a thought, what you guys think?

She wants to gain muscle to assist with her goals of cross country, at least that's the way I read it - so dropping running (or limiting it) would not be conducive to her goals. Long distance running is not ideal for muscle gains - but she will be at a slight surplus. It's generally high amounts of cardio and a large deficit that is the biggest issue.

Yes, you read my post correctly. I'm in track season right now so I have practice 5 days a week with meets on Saturdays. So I can't really control how much I run, but during this week of using MFP, I've been eating at a calorie maitance or a surplus of 100-250. The averages for my Nutrition breakdown are 56% out of a goal of 50% for carbs, 29% out of a goal of 30% for fat, and 15% out of 20% for protein. And when I talked to my coach, he said that those goals (the defaults for MFP) seemed reasonable. I just need to find a way to get my protein up.