Can I petition MFP users to use the terms "more ideal" and "less ideal" instead of good/bad foods?

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    bad foods:

foods with any added sugar
    foods with any refined grains
    foods with hydrogenated oils
    foods with soybean oils or other oils that are almost exclusively omega 6 vs 3
    starchy vegetables such as potatoes
    Deep fried foods
    Meats more than 10% (by weight) fat

Screw it, I'll play the answer for people game.

Dammit, so if I hadn't added a bit of sugar to the coffee I'm currently drinking it would have been good, but because I did it's bad and I've completely derailed my weight loss efforts?? Guess I may as well just go ahead and order a pizza then ;)

Your reasoning is terrible, but your conclusion is sound.

Alas it's only 10am, no one will bring me pizza at 10am :(

That 24 hour pizza delivery is not a thing vexes me.

Again with the business ideas Jof... sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the horns and go for it.

I'm not sure it's viable outside of an urban environment. My buddy owns a shop in suburbia with a ton of apartment complexes in the delivery area and is scheduled to stay open and delivering to midnight. If the call comes in at 11:59, the food goes out with the driver to be delivered on his or her way home. Not only that, he has a liquor license and can deliver beer with the food. And he has awesome, tasty, yummy craft beer...lots of them. And wine!

With all that going for him, the huge customer base, the pizza, the late hours, delivery of freakin' beer and wine with said pizza in the late pm hours- seriously, how awesome is it that you could be at a party at quarter to midnight and order 3 pizzas with case and a half of beer to be delivered?! - even with all that, he often closes by 10 due to lack of calls. It's expensive to man a pizza shop.

My first thought is that either his pricing or his marketing is failing him...or perhaps the quality of his pizza...because that sounds awesome.

[shutupandtakemymoney.gif] levels of awesome.

You'd think, but all seems to be in line, with some room for improvement in the marketing department. I just think really late night pizza consumers, like past 11pm and certainly past 1am, are very rare in comparison to the general population. That's why I think it would do much better in an urban setting. When you look at the number of orders you'd need per hour to stay open 24 hours while remaining profitable and the percentage of the general population who are going to order late night pizza, you need a giant pool of potential customers.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    bad foods:

Deep fried foods

Dammit, so if I hadn't added a bit of sugar to the coffee I'm currently drinking it would have been good, but because I did it's bad and I've completely derailed my weight loss efforts?? Guess I may as well just go ahead and order a pizza then ;)

Again with the business ideas Jof... sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the horns and go for it.

I'm not sure it's viable outside of an urban environment. My buddy owns a shop in suburbia with a ton of apartment complexes in the delivery area and is scheduled to stay open and delivering to midnight. If the call comes in at 11:59, the food goes out with the driver to be delivered on his or her way home. Not only that, he has a liquor license and can deliver beer with the food. And he has awesome, tasty, yummy craft beer...lots of them. And wine!

With all that going for him, the huge customer base, the pizza, the late hours, delivery of freakin' beer and wine with said pizza in the late pm hours- seriously, how awesome is it that you could be at a party at quarter to midnight and order 3 pizzas with case and a half of beer to be delivered?! - even with all that, he often closes by 10 due to lack of calls. It's expensive to man a pizza shop.

My first thought is that either his pricing or his marketing is failing him...or perhaps the quality of his pizza...because that sounds awesome.

[shutupandtakemymoney.gif] levels of awesome.

You'd think, but all seems to be in line, with some room for improvement in the marketing department. I just think really late night pizza consumers, like past 11pm and certainly past 1am, are very rare in comparison to the general population. That's why I think it would do much better in an urban setting. When you look at the number of orders you'd need per hour to stay open 24 hours while remaining profitable and the percentage of the general population who are going to order late night pizza, you need a giant pool of potential customers.

That makes sense. In my own thinking on the prospect of it, I was only evaluating the feasibility of this in a densely populated area. I spent the first 18 years of my life in a very small town and yeah, no way would anything like that work there...but I'm always surprised that *any* business works there.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Boe4Life wrote: »
    I prefer the more blunt terminology for foods. It removes the guess work and tends to make less ideal food choices less acceptable. Rather than say "That food may not be ideal for assisting you in reaching your health goals in a timely manner." I say "If I eat this crap my arteries will harden like granite and my buttocks will expand like the US deficit."

Facepalm1-e1408172498247.jpg

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I prefer the more blunt terminology for foods. It removes the guess work and tends to make less ideal food choices less acceptable. Rather than say "That food may not be ideal for assisting you in reaching your health goals in a timely manner." I say "If I eat this crap my arteries will harden like granite and my buttocks will expand like the US deficit."

so all food then …

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Too pc for me. Big Mac = Bad. Broccoli steamed = good.

Epic-Facepalm-5452.png

• tincanonastring
    Options

Facepalm1-e1408172498247.jpg

You rock. I see what you did there!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    bad foods:

Deep fried foods

I live in an urban environment, just in NZ. We haven't caught up with you guys on 24 hour delivery yet. My closest pizza joint (which is also my closest gelato fyi) is two blocks away, but doesn't open until 11am. Even Dominos is 11. And definitely haven't caught up with having beer delivered with pizza.

That's not a normal thing, as far as I'm aware. Businesses in New Jersey, US generally have to pay a lot of money to a local government or control board for a "liquor license." There are really strict controls in place to regulate sales, especially in regards to avoiding sales to minors (under 21 for alcohol sales, over 18 to die for your country). Most pizza shops aren't going to bother with all that and most could put up the money for the license. Depending on the township, you could be talking anywhere from $20,000 or so up to $2.3million.

What he needs to do is get in on that grand Jersey tradition of having a weird joint business. You know the kind... like Dot's Donuts and Pet Grooming.

• tincanonastring
    Options
    bad foods:

Deep fried foods

I live in an urban environment, just in NZ. We haven't caught up with you guys on 24 hour delivery yet. My closest pizza joint (which is also my closest gelato fyi) is two blocks away, but doesn't open until 11am. Even Dominos is 11. And definitely haven't caught up with having beer delivered with pizza.

That's not a normal thing, as far as I'm aware. Businesses in New Jersey, US generally have to pay a lot of money to a local government or control board for a "liquor license." There are really strict controls in place to regulate sales, especially in regards to avoiding sales to minors (under 21 for alcohol sales, over 18 to die for your country). Most pizza shops aren't going to bother with all that and most could put up the money for the license. Depending on the township, you could be talking anywhere from $20,000 or so up to $2.3million.

What he needs to do is get in on that grand Jersey tradition of having a weird joint business. You know the kind... like Dot's Donuts and Pet Grooming.

Honestly, I don't understand how he's not a millionaire with the combo business of Pizza and Beer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

But then when it doesn't happen you might stop believing your lies and stop caring.

Whereas when I say "not great choice given your goals," you can focus on making better choices.

Too logical?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    bad foods:

Deep fried foods

Honestly, I don't understand how he's not a millionaire with the combo business of Pizza and Beer.

^this

This will haunt my dreams...assuming I can even fall asleep knowing that there is a 24 hour pizza and beer place that isn't making a killing.

Ah, maybe that's it. Maybe midnight is too early to close. Perhaps the big money is in the *after midnight* crowd.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

But then when it doesn't happen you might stop believing your lies and stop caring.

Whereas when I say "not great choice given your goals," you can focus on making better choices.

Too logical?
    Too prissy.

Good. Bad. Done. B)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    In the little town I went to college in there was one pizza place that delivered (not beer, though), and it was the most disgusting pizza I've ever had, distinctly sub Dominos (and that's 1990 era Dominos). It would drip grease. And yet it did fabulous business, largely after midnight, since nothing else delivered and nothing else was open past midnight.

Late night might well be the key.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    And not that anyone else cares, but I just checked and not only is that pizza place still in business, but it seems to be run by the same guy. I feel so young!
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Too logical?
    Too prissy.

Good. Bad. Done. B)

But lots of things are "good" to a point but not in excess. Your simplistic categories don't account for that. Calling "good" only things you would never overeat (like broccoli) seems a little silly. Steak is good even if I sometimes wouldn't mind eating more than really makes sense. (Arguably, that it's good is demonstrated by the fact that I wouldn't mind eating more than I should on occasion.)
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

Too logical?
    Too prissy.

Good. Bad. Done. B)

But lots of things are "good" to a point but not in excess. Your simplistic categories don't account for that. Calling "good" only things you would never overeat (like broccoli) seems a little silly. Steak is good even if I sometimes wouldn't mind eating more than really makes sense. (Arguably, that it's good is demonstrated by the fact that I wouldn't mind eating more than I should on occasion.)

Honestly, I just think you take this a lot more seriously than I do. Or maybe you're more process driven than I am. It's food; a simple classification system gets the job done for a lot of people including me. There's nothing silly about a reasonably varied and nutritious diet no matter how you get there, IMO.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Too logical?
    Too prissy.

Good. Bad. Done. B)

Honestly, I just think you take this a lot more seriously than I do. Or maybe you're more process driven than I am. It's food; a simple classification system gets the job done for a lot of people including me. There's nothing silly about a reasonably varied and nutritious diet no matter how you get there, IMO.

I don't think the argument is so much how any *one* person classifies what they eat, but more how they advise and influence others.

I mean, if I want to sort my spice cabinet by color, that's fine...totally my business and my business alone...but if I start telling others that not to sort it their spices by color is wrong and I can't believe how they would be so self-detrimental as to not sort their spices by color and they must not love their bodies cooking if they don't sort them by color...

...and now imagine if humans inherently brought some real hang-ups with their spice cabinets into this discussion (as they tend to do with food)...well, you have an environment where that kind of behavior would be dissuaded by the general population in the MySpicePal forums.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Really loving the pizza discussion, especially since I just finished eating 3 pieces myself. Yes, you read correctly, 3. ;)
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

Too logical?
    Too prissy.

Good. Bad. Done. B)

I don't think the argument is so much how any *one* person classifies what they eat, but more how they advise and influence others.

I mean, if I want to sort my spice cabinet by color, that's fine...totally my business and my business alone...but if I start telling others that not to sort it their spices by color is wrong and I can't believe how they would be so self-detrimental as to not sort their spices by color and they must not love their bodies cooking if they don't sort them by color...

...and now imagine if humans inherently brought some real hang-ups with their spice cabinets into this discussion (as they tend to do with food)...well, you have an environment where that kind of behavior would be dissuaded by the general population in the MySpicePal forums.
    If that color coded spice rack works for one chances are it'll work for someone else -- or any other nonsensical advice or system. I trust the people reading to be adults capable of making those sorts of decisions for themselves.

All of the mocking and pig piling on people for sharing an unpopular approach really can't be justified, IMO.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Yes. For many people, this kind of thinking creates excellent results. . .