Can I petition MFP users to use the terms "more ideal" and "less ideal" instead of good/bad foods?

Options
1252627282931»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I love bad jokes. I think a part of me will forever be 8.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I did want to touch in a serious way on the comment Leena made about my health and why I brushed it off. I believe Leena and those like her have a touch of orthorexia and truly believe that the way they eat protects them from being sick. It's a false belief of course, but when they apply it to other people, it sounds mean and disgusting. It's really just naive and borne from their own issues.

I could point out, until I'm blue in the face, that my autoimmune system was turning on me while I was eating paleo and doing low carb and eating raw vegan, but that wouldn't move anyone, I'm sure. There would always be someone saying I could have changed something else. Those idiots out there on the web who have people convinced that all you need to do to be healthy is to eat right have done a lot of damage.

I really need to dust off my bioarch skills and search out some paleopatholgy stuff showing nutritional deficiencies in the Paleolithic next methinks.

And yeah, I am arguably eating far more healthily than I have done in a few years (even before I gained the excess - as opposed to vanity - pounds), and yet earlier this month I had a cyst (PCOS) flare up for the first time since god knows when. Hurt like a mofo. Wonder if that could be because some health issues have absolutely nothing to do with what we eat?

Well, that "healthy" is relative, I guess. Because to the paleo people, we ovo/lacto veggies aren't eating healthy? I dunno. That's what's so awful about all this MY way is the right way to eat nonsense. Or better yet, forget that. That's what's so awful about the RIGHT food will HEAAAAAAAAL you!!!!!!!

If that's unhealthy, well... I will admit I probably am a bad vegetarian and need to eat more veggies!

Also yeah. That's not an apology. That's a "I'm sorry I got caught" statement. You don't say things like that if not to be personal.

• PeachyCarol
    edited March 2015
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    I did want to touch in a serious way on the comment Leena made about my health and why I brushed it off. I believe Leena and those like her have a touch of orthorexia and truly believe that the way they eat protects them from being sick. It's a false belief of course, but when they apply it to other people, it sounds mean and disgusting. It's really just naive and borne from their own issues.

I could point out, until I'm blue in the face, that my autoimmune system was turning on me while I was eating paleo and doing low carb and eating raw vegan, but that wouldn't move anyone, I'm sure. There would always be someone saying I could have changed something else. Those idiots out there on the web who have people convinced that all you need to do to be healthy is to eat right have done a lot of damage.

I really need to dust off my bioarch skills and search out some paleopatholgy stuff showing nutritional deficiencies in the Paleolithic next methinks.

And yeah, I am arguably eating far more healthily than I have done in a few years (even before I gained the excess - as opposed to vanity - pounds), and yet earlier this month I had a cyst (PCOS) flare up for the first time since god knows when. Hurt like a mofo. Wonder if that could be because some health issues have absolutely nothing to do with what we eat?

Well, that "healthy" is relative, I guess. Because to the paleo people, we ovo/lacto veggies aren't eating healthy? I dunno. That's what's so awful about all this MY way is the right way to eat nonsense. Or better yet, forget that. That's what's so awful about the RIGHT food will HEAAAAAAAAL you!!!!!!!

If that's unhealthy, well... I will admit I probably am a bad vegetarian and need to eat more veggies!

Also yeah. That's not an apology. That's a "I'm sorry I got caught" statement. You don't say things like that if not to be personal.

Pretty much. Oh, might as well put this out there. I've never mentioned this one on the boards, because I barely think about it. Wanna know something else I got while eating paleo? A brain tumor. Yup. I have the same kind Sheryl Crow has. Not cancerous, I have it MRI'ed every couple of years to check how quickly it's growing. If it gets to be too big or starts to cause pain it will have to come out, but for now it just sits there. I call it Rusty.

Editing to add further thoughts...

I used to think that eating "good" (more ideal!) food would help me be healthier. I ate "good" food for years and kept getting sicker. A large part of the reason I am fully behind the idea of moderation in all things is because of what happened to me.

I am glad Leena did what she did so that I can put all this out there. After so many years of believing woo and learning that it was nonsense, I've learned some truths. Here it is.... There has only been one thing that I've been able to do that has been able to significantly improve the way I feel that has not been down to a placebo effect... and that has been to exercise. AND... life is to short to deprive yourself of a modest amount of foods you truly love.

• snikkins
    Options

Pretty much. Oh, might as well put this out there. I've never mentioned this one on the boards, because I barely think about it. Wanna know something else I got while eating paleo? A brain tumor. Yup. I have the same kind Sheryl Crow has. Not cancerous, I have it MRI'ed every couple of years to check how quickly it's growing. If it gets to be too big or starts to cause pain it will have to come out, but for now it just sits there. I call it Rusty.

I used to think that eating "good" (more ideal!) food would help me be healthier. I ate "good" food for years and kept getting sicker. A large part of the reason I am fully behind the idea of moderation in all things is because of what happened to me.

I am glad Leena did what she did so that I can put all this out there. After so many years of believing woo and learning that it was nonsense, I've learned some truths. Here it is.... There is only been one thing that I've been able to do that has been able to significantly improve the way I feel that has not been down to a placebo effect... and that has been to exercise. AND... life is to short to deprive yourself of a modest amount of foods you truly love.

I'm happy for you it isn't the cancerous type but that's still scary and I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

I am glad Leena did what she did so that I can put all this out there. After so many years of believing woo and learning that it was nonsense, I've learned some truths. Here it is.... There is only been one thing that I've been able to do that has been able to significantly improve the way I feel that has not been down to a placebo effect... and that has been to exercise. AND... life is to short to deprive yourself of a modest amount of foods you truly love.

I'm happy for you it isn't the cancerous type but that's still scary and I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Yeah, it's why I edit my posts a lot. I chose the wrong word quite frequently. It's embarrassing. It's really no big deal. It's a very slow growing tumor, and they're somewhat common.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Based on the way this thread has gone, I can understand now why some people on this forum have claimed that I have an eating disorder. However, I would say any of this talk about me or anyone else with similar views about food having it is really just speculation and means nothing in reality.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    some of us don't have to speculate about the mindset of clean eating zealots. Some of us have drank the koolaid and are now cured.

I HATED CICO thinking when I was a clean eating nutjob. I annoyed almost anyone I had to talk to and eat with.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    some of us don't have to speculate about the mindset of clean eating zealots. Some of us have drank the koolaid and are now cured.

I HATED CICO thinking when I was a clean eating nutjob. I annoyed almost anyone I had to talk to and eat with.

^This. We ex-nutjobs can also spot the nutjobs a mile away. None of them are fooling us.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Based on the way this thread has gone, I can understand now why some people on this forum have claimed that I have an eating disorder. However, I would say any of this talk about me or anyone else with similar views about food having it is really just speculation and means nothing in reality.

hey-everybody-pay-attention-to-me.jpg
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

hey-everybody-pay-attention-to-me.jpg

6137d1189156850-praying-mantis-praying-mantis.jpg

Eat me...
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Absolutely this. So much time wasted stressing about food. The "Oh no, I've been naughty" psychological mind games I did to myself. So ridiculous.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

^This. We ex-nutjobs can also spot the nutjobs a mile away. None of them are fooling us.

I flirted with that stuff too, and still recognize the tendencies in myself. I think that's probably driving a lot of our reactions to this.

I still eat the same way in many respects (not all), but I am happier recognizing that a lot of this is just personal preference or things that happen to help me eat better, and not actually significant to being a healthy person or a fit one. And that sometimes a bit more flexibility might make it easier to reach one's goals (like my current decision to try out adding in some quick digesting carbs post strenuous workouts).
  • snikkins
    Options
    Tried clean eating for a few days for the heck of it, passed out after 3 likely from not getting enough sodium to support my activities and I guess I have low-normal blood pressure.

I don't actually know because the hospital I went to turned out to be basically useless in terms, but I know it wasn't thyroid or anemia so I'm left guessing. But watching that has stopped it from happening again so maybe? Could be coincidence.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I flirted with that stuff too, and still recognize the tendencies in myself. I think that's probably driving a lot of our reactions to this.

I still eat the same way in many respects (not all), but I am happier recognizing that a lot of this is just personal preference or things that happen to help me eat better, and not actually significant to being a healthy person or a fit one. And that sometimes a bit more flexibility might make it easier to reach one's goals (like my current decision to try out adding in some quick digesting carbs post strenuous workouts).

Yup. I think anyone who's a regular on these 'bad food' threads knows by now that I have a history of eating disorders, and as a consequence have pretty strong feelings when it comes to attaching emotive words to food and restricting things for no logical reason. I am constantly questioning myself as to my motives around how I eat and how much I eat in order to not fall back into that behaviour (obviously EDs are about more than food, but it doesn't take much to tip the balance). The truth is I eat mostly 'wholesome' nutrient-rich foods, because that's actually what I like, and I keep an eye on my carb intake because of the homicidal ovaries. But I'll be damned if I'm going to totally discount anything (unless an animal died for it, which is an ethical choice I don't impose on others, or I don't like it, cos why eat something you don't like?).
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Yup. I think anyone who's a regular on these 'bad food' threads knows by now that I have a history of eating disorders, and as a consequence have pretty strong feelings when it comes to attaching emotive words to food and restricting things for no logical reason. I am constantly questioning myself as to my motives around how I eat and how much I eat in order to not fall back into that behaviour (obviously EDs are about more than food, but it doesn't take much to tip the balance). The truth is I eat mostly 'wholesome' nutrient-rich foods, because that's actually what I like, and I keep an eye on my carb intake because of the homicidal ovaries. But I'll be damned if I'm going to totally discount anything (unless an animal died for it, which is an ethical choice I don't impose on others, or I don't like it, cos why eat something you don't like?).

Yup. I'm probably about 85/15 when comes to more ideal to less ideal foods, but that's because I like those foods.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Yup. I'm probably about 85/15 when comes to more ideal to less ideal foods, but that's because I like those foods.

Same here. During my years of playing with different ways of eating I did learn an appreciation for a wide variety of foods I hadn't tried up until that point. I'm grateful for that. Over time, I've just learned the folly of saying "never" to anything unless I have to for a real medical reason like my celiac disease.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yep. And really I think people are more likely to feel positively about those foods if they feel like they are eating them out of choice, as part of an overall diet they enjoy, instead of because they are the only foods they can eat (or must eat) vs. all the other bad foods.

I get so sad when I see people come here with the assumption that trying to lose weight and eat healthy means you must eat a really limited diet of boneless, skinless chicken breast, Fiber One cereal with skim milk, and some broccoli and kale, or the like. (And I quite like broccoli and kale.) Or that being virtuous (which has nothing to do with food) means eating boring stuff.

I like to keep my epicurean approach to food, but just be open to seeing the pleasure from a huge range of foods, like vegetables and whole grains and the rest. I don't go insane with chocolate (well, most of the time) because there are so many other good foods that there's no reason to, as well as because I want to eat in a way that is consistent with my body's needs.