Help! My 20 year old daughter is a closet eater!

Options

Replies

• try4better128
    try4better128 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've only read the first two pages, but the biggest thing I don't see here is a suggestion to apologize to your daughter directly, even if it's been 2 years since you brought it up. She can't begin to forgive you until she knows you're sorry. It's the first step. That's the first thing to do. After that, follow these other people's advice and just enjoy each other's company without mention of food issues. Maybe try to do what you can to cheer her up - when you said she said she feels sad and does know how to feel happy... that's a huge red flag... time to find yourself a professional and talk to them about how to approach your daughter in case she's depressed.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately your daughter has to make the decision on her own to change. She can't do it for someone else or through someone else. Even if she were to listen to your well meaning advice, she wouldn't have long term success without figuring things out on her own. My best guess is she has some deep rooted emotional pain over something and until she resolves that, she will keep going down a destructive path.

I'm 24. My sister is 20. My whole family is overweight. My mom worries over us like crazy. The past year I have done a ton of growing up. In my late teens early 20's I took all my mom's worries a totally different way than I do now. It honestly made our relationship very strained and I was never able to open up to her about things. I still can't. Over 2 years ago I took the final straw that broke my back and woke me up to changing my life. Previously I was overweight, used food and alcohol as a crutch for dealing with emotional issues, I was hanging out with people I didn't like and who probably didn't like me, they surely didn't actually care about me, and I did a LOT of things that I wish I hadn't. I had no self respect, no confidence. I literally hated myself. There is no way anyone would have ever gotten me out of that hole. No matter their good intentions. I had to make that decision for myself.

I now sit back and watch my mom worry over my sister and watch it put strain on their relationship. I wish I could make my sister take the steps forward I did with nutrition and fitness. But I know I can't. I know all I can do is try to piece together our relationship (also suffered over the years) and love her for who she is. Time is so, so short. You never know when someone's last day will be. As much as it hurts, we have to let people make their own decisions.
  • HippieMelissa
    Options
    I went through the same thing your daughter went through. I lost my first love right after high school. I was prom queen 117 pounds 13% body fat and he was one of the most athletic people I knew. I have always been the one to push people to strive for their dreams and goals, but he gave me the push I needed for myself. When I lost him my entire life changed. I turned to food for comfort, and never gave that up.
    When people tried to bring up my weight it only pissed me off because that's a very private matter, even though their intentions were sincere I couldn't give in. I've avoided mirrors, and kept the food coming. There is no exact way to deal with this situation because no matter what, no one can change but her
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every post, so I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I think her eating/weight is really dancing around the real issue. She's hurting. You can't fix it and as a mother myself, I feel pretty dang worthless when I can't fix my babies' pain. So you focus on the byproduct of that pain and the one thing you might feel is in your control. Her weight/eating. That's just treating the symptoms and not the underlying issue.

I don't think you should leave her alone. I think you should be honest and vulnerable about the REAL issue. Tell her that you feel like a failure as a mother because you can't fix her pain. Tell her that you so desperately want her happiness that you have put your focus on something that can be changed because it is to hard to face what can't be changed (the death of her father). Tell her you are sorry for focusing on her weight because it's not showing her how much you truly love her and how amazing you find her. Show her how to be open and vulnerable for the sake of growth. When you let her see the broken side of you, the cracks and imperfections, she will feel safer about sharing that side of herself. Do not try to point out her imperfections in any way, but point out the wonderful things about her that you love. Then live that love every day. Tell her it's a beautiful day for a walk and you would love her company, but smile and say okay if she says no. Do not pressure her.

I agree with the poster who said to put some "goodies" in your pantry too. Show her you are human, that it is okay to be a mess on occasion, and that it doesn't make you unworthy of love if you do not meet societies standard of beauty.

This. So much this.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Back off

Leave her alone

She's an adult and it is none of your business

Your job is to tell her how much you love her, how beautiful she is not to pick at her for being overweight

She's a legal adult that lives at her mommy's house. Mentally a child.

@vinegar_husbands‌ Lol, this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. In case you are unaware, most 20 year olds live at their parents house. That does not make them a child. Maybe you were mentally a child at 20 years old, but that doesn't apply to every 20 year old.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Hoarding things including food is super common in teens. I know this from experience. This should not surprise you or seem abnormal.

The best thing you can do is stay out of her private space. Trust her to begin making her own decisions.

If you have had an unhealthy relationship with food you may be her role model for this behavior. Work on your own issues!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Back off

Leave her alone

Your job is to tell her how much you love her, how beautiful she is not to pick at her for being overweight

@vinegar_husbands‌ Lol, this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. In case you are unaware, most 20 year olds live at their parents house. That does not make them a child. Maybe you were mentally a child at 20 years old, but that doesn't apply to every 20 year old.
    Hiding food from mommy is childlike behavior, just saying...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Back off

Leave her alone

Hiding food from mommy is childlike behavior, just saying...

It's the behavior of a YOUNG WOMAN who is clearly suffering from her father's death. OP's daughter is dealing with her *possible* depression by eating. It's very, very common. Her daughter is probably ashamed of her weight and doesn't want her mother to see her eating things like cookies because mom has kind of given off the vibe that cookies are bad. I think the daughter doesn't want mom to judge her or experience guilt for not keeping 'junk food' in the house when she was young.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Hoarding things including food is super common in teens. I know this from experience. This should not surprise you or seem abnormal.

The best thing you can do is stay out of her private space. Trust her to begin making her own decisions.

If you have had an unhealthy relationship with food you may be her role model for this behavior. Work on your own issues!

Where exactly did you get the idea that OP has an unhealthy relationship with food?
  • jelie3110
    jelie3110 Posts: 433
    Options

Where exactly did you get the idea that OP has an unhealthy relationship with food?

I don't feel that making healthy choices makes me have issues with food at all, I am making a concious choice to eat healthy because I know it makes me feel good on so many levels.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    jelie3110 wrote: »

I don't feel that making healthy choices makes me have issues with food at all, I am making a concious choice to eat healthy because I know it makes me feel good on so many levels.

It doesn't, at all. That's why I asked that user why they think you have an unhealthy relationship with food. I haven't gotten that vibe from you. So I'm wondering why they did.
  • jelie3110
    Options
    Yes, I know:) I used the wrong quote:)
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just my own venting, I skipped pages 3 and 4 ...
    Im 46 and just this past 4 months got myself on track, lost 60 pounds, feel good ect ect.

My mom was a pioneer of the exercise classes in the early 70s, I grew up with Alba 66, Light Fantastic and way too much fruit all of my life. Id go to friends and see the real food and live it up. I learned to add stuff to those health shakes and would clean house when I went to friends with junk food. That was my rebellion.

I believe my mom had good intention but crossed ideas, every time I would open a shirt two sizes too small for my birthday Id get pissed and go buy some two sizes too big just to spite.

To me it felt good when she accepted a 4X son and didnt buy me little clothes anymore. It took 45 years of my life, I know it was and is still hard for her. I was able to take that control on my own terms and that was the only way it was going to happen.

I hope this reads as I intended to write it, I don't want to sound harsh but I was so happy when the 1st many responses echoed BACK OFF. I really think that is the best advice.
  • DannieYellah
    Options
    This is actually quite appalling. You've lost your daughters trust, to the point where she is hiding this stuff from you because in her eyes, you are judging her.
    My mom did the same thing when I was younger, before I had ever really reached 'obesity' status, and if anything it pushed me further into my eating habits and made my self confidence decline horribly. She just wanted her daughter to be healthy too, and it caused a huge rift between us for quite some time.
    My mom eventually left it alone and allowed ME to see how bad it had gotten, and when I asked her for help, she did so and now we work out together and I am on a fast track to better health.
    Just leave her alone, and if she feels like she can, she'll come to you. If you keep this up, you'll loose your daughter and possibly make the weight gain worse by stressing her about it.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Back off

Leave her alone

This. I was overweight all my life starting from a very early age. The more my mom picked at me, the more I just hid what I was eating. I remember her telling me that I'd "be so beautiful if I just lost weight...." I know she was just trying to help, but it made me feel AWFUL and so to make myself feel better, I ate more.

the more you bug her about it, the more she is going to pull away from you. Tell her how much you love her and how beautiful she is, but back off about her weight and eating.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was hoping for some insight from someone who maybe had been in a similar situation.

Mine is insight from the daughter on the other end. Trust me there is nothing anyone could have done or said to change what I was doing. I had to do it for myself.

This as well. I had to make up my own mind to change myself. NOTHING my mother said would have made a difference. Unfortunately it took until I was in my 40's to make that decision, but better late than never.
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have been in a similar situation, the more I pushed, the more they pulled away. The right answer is to tell them that you love them and that you will be there for them.

They usually come back later in life asking for guidance. There is nothing you can do at this time though. Sorry.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Guys, the OP is not your mother.

I'm not saying that to be rude. God knows I have issues around which everyone on Earth suddenly seems to be my mother. But my mother has been dead and buried for years, God rest the shriveled little vestigial organ that passed in her for a soul, and our relationship was our relationship; no one else's will ever be exactly like it because other people are not us. Venting my ire at her on random hapless people on the internet won't teach her a lesson or make one day in the life of Childhood Me any easier.

OP, my daughter had a weight problem for a few years, though she wasn't a secret eater. I let her know that that was not a good place for her to be considering our family history of obesity-related health problems, and then I dropped the subject. My daughter is a bright, stubborn girl who does things in her own time and in her own way, and now she's at a normal weight. Yours is 20; this too may pass if you don't make a big deal out of it.

I wonder, though - speaking of projecting, which I am about to, so be forewarned - how much of your reaction to her is carried over from the problems you faced dealing with her father's addictive behavior. If you've dealt with that in the past, the last thing you want to do is see addictive behavior patterns start surfacing in your daughter.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You should find her a therapist. Nobody wants to be in therapy, I know, but truthfully we ALL need therapists...and so few of us are able to seek one out for ourselves. It sounds like she has profound issues she needs to work through and needs guidance. Food is not the root of her problem, it's a temporary solution to a painful emotional state.

It'll be tough to get through to her by yourself, but if you have someone who can work with her one on one with an objective view, she may have the tools she needs to turn things around.

It actually sounds a lot like Jillian Michael's story, tbh...divorced parents, secretive eating, self destructive food rituals... and she turned it around, too!

You are right, we could all use therapy.... i did not know all that about Jillian

Yeah, Jillian said that she would eat unhealthy things as a teen because it bonded her with her dad; it was something they did together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hih9EtletfE
  • jelie3110
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Guys, the OP is not your mother.

I'm not saying that to be rude. God knows I have issues around which everyone on Earth suddenly seems to be my mother. But my mother has been dead and buried for years, God rest the shriveled little vestigial organ that passed in her for a soul, and our relationship was our relationship; no one else's will ever be exactly like it because other people are not us. Venting my ire at her on random hapless people on the internet won't teach her a lesson or make one day in the life of Childhood Me any easier.

OP, my daughter had a weight problem for a few years, though she wasn't a secret eater. I let her know that that was not a good place for her to be considering our family history of obesity-related health problems, and then I dropped the subject. My daughter is a bright, stubborn girl who does things in her own time and in her own way, and now she's at a normal weight. Yours is 20; this too may pass if you don't make a big deal out of it.

I wonder, though - speaking of projecting, which I am about to, so be forewarned - how much of your reaction to her is carried over from the problems you faced dealing with her father's addictive behavior. If you've dealt with that in the past, the last thing you want to do is see addictive behavior patterns start surfacing in your daughter.

I do worry about a pattern for sure......alcohol had such a strong hold of her dad.....i am afraid
    she might have addictive tendencies too