"You're too skinny!" Do others ever make you question your maintenance weight?

I haven't ever posted before, but appreciate the support that this forum offers and want to get in on it! Lately, I've been in need of support from those who understand the struggles of weight loss and maintenance.

Since the fall of 2013, I went from 180lbs to 125lbs (female, 5'6") and have been maintaining at 125 (+/- 2lbs) for the past 6 months. As time goes on, I have gotten more and more serious about exercise and specifically running. I really enjoy seeing where my body can take me and it's motivating to break my personal records and times while running.

In the process, my body fat percentage has dropped to around 18% and while I am happy with the way I look, a lot of people around me keep making comments like "you're too skinny" or "you had better not lose any more weight". It's not just 1 or 2 people either -- it's many of those I am close to and even family members. It really makes me second guess myself and question whether I have some kind of body dysmorphia or eating disorder even though I am within the healthy range for BMI and I eat between 1800-2300 calories/day (depending on how much I work out).

Has anyone else dealt with this? How do you respond to comments like this?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    I'm the same height and weight as you are and I get these comments too.

I have to laugh at the fact people think it's OK to give their verdict on other's (perfectly healthy) bodies in this context. If you're at a healthy BMI, eating enough for your activity, your doctor is satisfied, and you're HAPPY, I'd just smile "I'm absolutely fine, thanks for your concern" and change the subject.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    It is embarassing when people say that because I never know how to respond. It's just because they are not used to seeing you as "thin" yet. If you were always 125 no one would say anything. I think you look great and your calorie range shows you have a healthy perspective. I think the best response is something like "No, I am fine and I feel great!"

Yes, this. I have people tell me this often - and I'm 160 pounds. I'm not skinny. It's just that I've been 230 pounds for years - so comparatively speaking, I probably DO look skinny to them.

I don't say anything, because it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. The first time I heard it, it did sort of make me second guess myself. But you've got this :)
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    I've gotten comments from friends about specific things - "your legs used to be so nice," "your hip bones show too much," etc. People have different tastes, and my preferred aesthetic may not be theirs. I can appreciate concern for my health, as unnecessary as it is. Since these comments were from friends, I had a talk with them to make it clear their unsolicited opinion was rude and to assure them that I'm happy and healthy the way I am. When I've gotten the "You're too skinny" from coworkers or acquaintances, I've just said "No, I'm not" and moved on. Not their business.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    I've heard this alot over the past four years since I lost the weight I wanted to, and I just laugh it off. Yes, I am at the lower end of the healthy weight range for my height. That doesn't make me unhealthy. Yes, I want to look this way and I love being active and challenging my body physically. Tracking calories and being fit and lean is not the same as being too skinny. Anyone who feels the need to comment about someone else's body is likely doing it for reasons completely unrelated to YOU.
  • teegoods38
    teegoods38 Posts: 21 Member
    I've received comments from some people, they say things like oh she can't eat this or that she's on a diet. My response to the comments are this is a lifestlye change for me(I don't do diets. Some people feel insecure about themeselves and feel like they have to say something bad to you to make themeselves feel good . What others think or say about me don't affect me I feel much healther and have lot's more energy. Keep up the great work you look great.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, I get that too. It's odd cause people never said I was too skinny when I maintained at 3 kg lighter for most of my adult life...

Just ignore "the concern" and say you feel fine and healthy. Sometimes people say stupid stuff not out of malice, but ignorance. Getting worked up over it... is it worth it ?
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    When someone said that to me (no for a long time), I smiled. I loved it. I am also 5'4" and weighed 125 lbs. I knew I wasn't underweight. It was a huge compliment.

I can't hardly wait for day to come again.