"You're too skinny!" Do others ever make you question your maintenance weight?

Options

Replies

• shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I get this as well.. just "move along move along"

Have a witty comeback when needed and for the others just change the subject. If they continue to press the issue then let them have it! haha

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I get it all the time too. Only because I've lost a lot of weight on my face, my collarbones jut out and my arms are pin skinny, all 3 places I never carried any weight on to begin with!! So annoying :grumble: . But I've still got a belly and inner thigh chub. I'm 5"8 and 140lbs so not anorexic.
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I knew I was big and needed to lose weight .. now people tell me...don't lose anymore or you were fine as you were.. but I didn't feel fine and now I feel happy and attractive..why can't people say wow well done x...I think you look great by the way xx I realise this journey was for me so I don't need to take on what other people think xx
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I knew I was big and needed to lose weight .. now people tell me...don't lose anymore or you were fine as you were.. but I didn't feel fine and now I feel happy and attractive..why can't people say wow well done x...I think you look great by the way xx I realise this journey was for me so I don't need to take on what other people think xx

I know right!!!! We get negative remarks when we're overweight, and now we're copping them for apparently being "underweight". I quit trying to please everyone a long time ago....

• MissMelissa514
    MissMelissa514 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I hear that at work all the time. I'm 5'7" and went from 196lbs to 132lbs. I get the "you're too skinny" "you look sick" "eat a steak" comments all the time. It seems like it's always the overweight people that say that kind of thing to me though, so I just smile and keep going because I know how hard I worked for it. I did it for me. I'm proud of myself and so is my family and that's all that matters. Don't worry about what anyone else says. If you're happy and healthy, that's what counts.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    OP, I think you look great! Keep doing what you're doing and ignore casual, stupid, mindless comments from people.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm the kind of person who... I don't go out of my way to be rude, but if I feel a person is rude to me, I don't usually have a problem snapping back in a way that they might think is rude. Which means if someone told me I was too thin, I would be more than happy to smile back and say to them, "Telling a person they're too fat would be hurtful and rude, so don't you ever tell me again that I'm too thin." The only person's body anyone should worry 'bout is their own.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    In the eyes of the obese, the jealous, and the socially impaired you will always be too skinny. Tell you family members that support cuts both ways. Goes around, comes around.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - if your current profile pictures are accurate/current then no you do not appear to be too skinny at all ….just keep doing what you are doing and try not to give a damn about what others think :)
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I get that at 135 and 5'4". I'm definitely not "too skinny" and I still plan on getting smaller. I'm tired of hearing it.

This.

I also get "Why do YOU go to the gym? You're already so skinny" a lot. It's annoying.

• kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    People are just jealous
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Women are expected to have a little padding in most eyes of society. So since they are not used to seeing that, they probably can't differentiate between an athletic 18% and barely enough 13%.

A lot of people are saying "it's none of their business" or people shouldn't say anything about anybody else's weight" but if someone with your stats dropped another 15-20 pounds that person would be very underweight. If people held to the "I shouldn't say anything" mentality then no one would say anything. If it was then determined that person had an eating disorder that had gone unchecked for years then I think that the forums would be saying someone should have spoken up sooner. So where is the line?

For the most part, I think that people should keep their mouth shut, but there should be a few people that you trust enough to tell you if you are starting to look bony or sick and to not get upset by it. I think you look great and healthy and you have wicked taste in clothes.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I was told I look anorexic recently. My reply? (sarcastically) excellent!! That' just the look I was going for - cue eye roll and walk away!
  • audmixer
    audmixer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I heard the "you're too skinny" comments as well, it was just because people were so accustomed to seeing me at 250lbs for so long that when I gradually lost 100lbs over 3yrs it was shocking for them to see me at 150lbs. Now that I've maintained my new healthstyle/weight for the past 2yrs those comments have changed to "you look so great" & "you're an inspiration". It just takes people time to adjust to your new look. Heck, it took time for me to adjust to my new look as well. :smile:
  • Katherinewalters8
    Katherinewalters8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hear it everyday.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would just reply with "you are having issues adjusting to my appearance - which should be none of your business anyway."
  • angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was getting it quite a bit about 10lbs ago at around 143... now at 133 and people have learned it is my body I eat ALL the time and I am healthy, so yeah they have shut their mouths. Its cazy how strangers think because I'm the lady who rings them up every morning that they can just voice their opinions about my body... well I have my own opinions and by the time I'm done they know if they aren't going to say something nice not to say anything at all... I don't give a beep about their opinion this is my body!