1,000 calorie exercises

Options

Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    You are in the healthy weight range now. Fitness and/or healthy weight loss are not quick fixes. Take your time ... maintain a reasonable deficit (at this point set MFP to lose no more than one pound per week if you want to maintain lean mass) ... be patient.

^
    And try to like you while you are at it.

Also fantastic advice.
  • Alisons_goal
    Options
    wolfruhn wrote: »
    A 10 mile fast walk easily burns 1,000 calories for me, and I regularly burn up to 2,000 per day. A few things I like about walking: it's free (no gym membership required), I get to be outdoors, it's low impact, walking fast has increased my cardio fitness, and I can think and unwind while I walk.

Then what do you do after you burn those 2,000 calories?

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    A 10 mile fast walk easily burns 1,000 calories for me, and I regularly burn up to 2,000 per day. A few things I like about walking: it's free (no gym membership required), I get to be outdoors, it's low impact, walking fast has increased my cardio fitness, and I can think and unwind while I walk.

Unless you weigh about 333 pounds, you're not netting 1000 calories from a ten mile walk.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    Using the calculator on that page, at my walking pace (which is pretty much jogging pace), shows I burn 1,700+ calories. But that's for running. Using the MFP calculator is pretty accurate - I've compared it to other reliable ones on the web and it gives a lower figure than my sports app - I definitely net over 1,000 calories for a 10 mile fast walk.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking for exercises that burn 1000 calories?

^this seems like a reasonable question. I suspect the answer will be very helpful to understanding what's going on here.
  • wolfruhn
    Options
    Then what do you do after you burn those 2,000 calories?

In the past I have usually eaten them back, as I've already got my target loss set high, but I'm going to try not to going forwards.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A stationary bicycle burns a ton of calories, and you can watch television while you do it. Two hours should easily burn 1,000 calories.

There is nothing "easy" about two hours on a stationary bike.

It's also highly unlikely someone could burn 500/hr on an exercise bike for that long.

In fact, your stationary bike recommendation sounds like some pretty terrible advise...

...and given the later revelations in the thread, any suggestion of how OP could go about this would have been inappropriate.

If only you would have had the courage to ask her why she wanted to before providing your response. Fortunately, someone else here was...even you did call him out for it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    A stationary bicycle burns a ton of calories, and you can watch television while you do it. Two hours should easily burn 1,000 calories.

There is nothing "easy" about two hours on a stationary bike.

Agreed. 30 minutes on that thing and I'm like...adios bike. Then again, I despise cardio.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Using the calculator on that page, at my walking pace (which is pretty much jogging pace), shows I burn 1,700+ calories. But that's for running. Using the MFP calculator is pretty accurate - I've compared it to other reliable ones on the web and it gives a lower figure than my sports app - I definitely net over 1,000 calories for a 10 mile fast walk.
    Pace isn't what determines burn. Walking and running are different biomechanics which explains the difference in caloric burn. Unless you're speed walking at over 5mph, you're not burning more from walking than running.

Unless you weigh over 300 pounds, you do not net 1000 calories from walking ten miles ... period.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    OP, back to your original point, all you need is a moderate calorie deficit, which MFP builds for you when you enter your goals into the site. As you have so few lbs to lose, I would personally suggest going for .5 to 1lbs a week, not 2. The less weight you have to lose, the harder it is, and the less likely it is that you can healthily lose 2lbs a week.
    As for exercise, the point of it is NOT to burn off everything you're eating, but rather for fitness and for giving yourself more cushions with your calories. So you should eat MORE with added exercise not less.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I mean that is generally speaking. But say someone gets 1500 calories a day to lose weight, but then burns 300 calories running. His/her new daily total is 1800. And since MFP already has them at a calorie deficit, he/she can eat back those calories and still lose weight. :)
  • wolfruhn
    Options
    Pace isn't what determines burn. Walking and running are different biomechanics which explains the difference in caloric burn. Unless you're speed walking at over 5mph, you're not burning more from walking than running.

Unless you weigh over 300 pounds, you do not net 1000 calories from walking ten miles ... period.

This is from the page you posted earlier:

"What's the Burn? A Calorie Calculator
    You can use the formulas below to determine your calorie-burn while running and walking. The "Net Calorie Burn" measures calories burned, minus basal metabolism. Scientists consider this the best way to evaluate the actual calorie-burn of any exercise. The walking formulas apply to speeds of 3 to 4 mph. At 5 mph and faster, walking burns more calories than running."

See above. Therefore, according to the Runners World link that you posted, the faster the pace, the greater the burn, and at 5mph it says my walking burns **more** than running.

Your Total Calorie Burn/Mile
    Running = .75 x your weight (in lbs.)
    Walking = .53 x your weight"

Your Net Calorie Burn/Mile
    Running .63 x your weight
    Walking = .30 x your weight

According to their calculations, I'm actually *netting* **more** than 1,400 on my 10 mile walk. Trying the MFP Cardio Calorie Calculator for comparison agrees with Runners World, as MFP gives me a burn of 1,600 for that pace. Using both calculations, at my walking pace I get more than 1,400. But I choose to be conservative. No matter which way you calculate it, according to the scientists I'm definitely netting more than 1,000 calories. That, or Runners World, MFP, and everyone else is totally wrong.
  • Tzinn1992
    Tzinn1992 Posts: 310 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I run 6 Miles at 6.5mph burn 1,000 calories
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on burning X calories doing Y (btw, you're not going to achieve those burns until you're more efficient at the exercise/have the stamina to last the entire time), why not pick an exercise that you enjoy?

And if you need to, talk to someone about your restrict/binge/purge cycle.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    What? I had a bad night sleep and might not be seeing it, but to get 1400kcal burn on a 10 mile walk you'd need to be close to 500 lbs.

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking for exercises that burn 1000 calories?

This.

Why? If that's you in your profile picture, and your ticker is accurate then you don't need to be looking for 1000 calorie burns to lose 19 pounds. I mean if you want to start running a half marathon be my guest, but if you're doing it solely for weight loss, then you're doing it wrong.

You must be really young! Anyone over the age of 30 would know that's a picture from years before I was even born. Besides, I'm not looking for 1,000 calorie burns. I'm very happy with 5-600 a day.

This person wasn't even talking about you.

• Tzinn1992
    Tzinn1992 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I weight 203.4 32vziohjlq6p.png
    s.png 48.1K
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The point here, imo, isn't whether it's possible to burn 1000 calories walking if you're large, but whether it's possible for the OP who is . . . not large. She's my size, and I would only burn 650ish walking 10 miles.

And the larger point is whether it's a good idea for her to be trying to burn that much. My opinion is that it isn't. She's already a healthy weight (honestly I'm 5'4" 125ish lbs and I can't imagine trying to lose another 17 lbs), is aiming for a goal weight that's dangerously close to underweight, and she's just looking for a way to lose "as quickly as possible." Even if she speed-walks 10 miles, that 2 hours of exercise per day and she's not talking about eating those calories back. It's much more responsible, imo, to tell her not to try than it is to tell her how to achieve her goal.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    The point here, imo, isn't whether it's possible to burn 1000 calories walking if you're large, but whether it's possible for the OP who is . . . not large. She's my size, and I would only burn 650ish walking 10 miles.

And the larger point is whether it's a good idea for her to be trying to burn that much. My opinion is that it isn't. She's already a healthy weight (honestly I'm 5'4" 125ish lbs and I can't imagine trying to lose another 17 lbs), is aiming for a goal weight that's dangerously close to underweight, and she's just looking for a way to lose "as quickly as possible." Even if she speed-walks 10 miles, that 2 hours of exercise per day and she's not talking about eating those calories back. It's much more responsible, imo, to tell her not to try than it is to tell her how to achieve her goal.

Dayum. I hate it when people actually make sense on the forums.

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    a 10 mile run would burn about 1000 calories.. Unless you are a highly trained runner only about half these calories will come from fat.. The rest will come from the food (carbs) you need to eat to fuel this kind of exercise...if you aren't eating you'll burn a combination of muscle and fat and feel like you are going to die the entire run. The better trained you are and the slower you go the more fat you will burn.

An active day of hiking, shopping, housework, leisurely biking could burn a 1000 calories over 4 to 6 hours and most of it could be fat.