1,000 calorie exercises

Options

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I hit the treadmill incline 6° and I run 6.5 to 7 mph for 3 to 4 minutes then I slowdown 5.5 to 6 mi./for 3 to 4 minutes this normally gets me at least 900 cal burned.

How many calories and how many minutes?!?

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's amazing how mean people are on this site that is supposed to support each other. I'm not going to quote anyone, not on this thread or any other, but what is your problem? Why do you have to be mean instead of nice and informative? I don't get it.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how mean people are on this site that is supposed to support each other. I'm not going to quote anyone, not on this thread or any other, but what is your problem? Why do you have to be mean instead of nice and informative? I don't get it.

tumblr_n53dyrzA2y1tq4of6o1_500.gif

You clearly are mistaking being blunt with being mean, no one here has been mean at all. You've been far ruder to me in this post than anyone else has been...

"You must be really young! Anyone over the age of 30 would know that's a picture from years before I was even born. Besides, I'm not looking for 1,000 calorie burns. I'm very happy with 5-600 a day"

You got all huffy and presumptuous when I wasn't even talking about you. So you might want to walk back your white knighting about "mean people" before it bites your butt.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I realize that you can't always tell tone from a post but I think maybe, just maybe, you are reading too much into posts.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

tumblr_n53dyrzA2y1tq4of6o1_500.gif

You clearly are mistaking being blunt with being mean, no one here has been mean at all. You've been far ruder to me in this post than anyone else has been...

"You must be really young! Anyone over the age of 30 would know that's a picture from years before I was even born. Besides, I'm not looking for 1,000 calorie burns. I'm very happy with 5-600 a day"

You got all huffy and presumptuous when I wasn't even talking about you. So you might want to walk back your white knighting about "mean people" before it bites your butt.

In 4 years here, my experience has been that more often than not the rudest people in the thread are those complaining of others' rudeness.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    wolfruhn wrote: »
    A 10 mile fast walk easily burns 1,000 calories for me, and I regularly burn up to 2,000 per day. A few things I like about walking: it's free (no gym membership required), I get to be outdoors, it's low impact, walking fast has increased my cardio fitness, and I can think and unwind while I walk.

NO
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Why are you always complaining in every single thread that people are mean?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I just read this whole thread. I guess I somehow missed the mean parts? I didn't see them.

All of the information was good though. And the helpfulness. And advice from a lot of people who know what they are talking about. I saw all of those things.

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    A stationary bicycle burns a ton of calories, and you can watch television while you do it. Two hours should easily burn 1,000 calories.

There is nothing "easy" about two hours on a stationary bike.

It's also highly unlikely someone could burn 500/hr on an exercise bike for that long.

In fact, your stationary bike recommendation sounds like some pretty terrible advise...

...and given the later revelations in the thread, any suggestion of how OP could go about this would have been inappropriate.

If only you would have had the courage to ask her why she wanted to before providing your response. Fortunately, someone else here was...even you did call him out for it.

Just as walking ten miles (which burns about 100 calories a mile) is easily done. IF you have the time. My stationary bike is similar to an elliptical; your arms move along with your legs. It works whether you only use your arms or legs, or both together. Except you get to sit instead of stand, which reduces pressure on the knees. It does not, however, do anything else, such as add stress or inclines.

I didn't say it was "easy" being on a stationary bike for two hours; I said that if it was done, it would "easily burn" 1,000 calories. Walking ten miles isn't "easy" either, but it does burn about 1,000 calories depending upon what you weigh.

The OP asked a question, and I and a few other people answered it without judgment.

I think you mistook concern for judgement. OP is very young, lean to start with and is looking for ways to burn a drastic amount of calories. These are very concerning points and are the exact reason why people questioned why she is trying to burn so many calories.

I also agree, 1000 calories in 2 hours on a stationary bike is unlikely especially if you aren't increasing tension. It is also very mentally tough to do.

She needs to be talking to her doctor, not a bunch of people on a weight-control website. You've had quite a few posts here, so you've been around the block a few times. Do people who ask questions like this actually end up doing it? Probably not. Maybe half a day. I personally don't think judgment has a place here unless someone asks for specific advice. Otherwise, I just give answers, not advice. Most of the people who ask these questions are not serious in their weight loss venture; just looking for a quick way out. When they are given answers which show there is NOT a quick way out, they usually give up. Or at least I never see them again.

Ironically this the meanest and most judgemental post in the whole thread.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking for exercises that burn 1000 calories?

Why are you questioning her instead of simply answering? That is, if you have an answer. If not, just go to the next post of interest. It isn't mandatory that you answer a post in a derogatory manner when you don't know how to play nice.

Sometimes people ask because they think they have to burn off everything they eat. They hear the phrase "eat less than you burn" and don't realize that the burn part refers to calories burned just by existing.

I don't think the question was derogatory. Sometimes context is needed in order to answer completely.
    I just had to correct my roommate on this. He was also trying to include calories he had eaten days ago and hadn't 'burned off yet'. Yeowch.
  • bhamden84
    Options
    I will put a treadmill on max incline (15%) and go at 4.0mph for 60 minutes. I am significantly bigger, so I burn approximately 1800 in that span, but I imagine you can kind of easily get to 1000 calories that way.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Why are you questioning her instead of simply answering? That is, if you have an answer. If not, just go to the next post of interest. It isn't mandatory that you answer a post in a derogatory manner when you don't know how to play nice.
    5hovd6fz0ntc.jpeg
    You have the chips on the shoulder or whu?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Someone woke up angry and mean. Why do you feel the need for such negativity? The guy just asked a question. At least he was addressing the OP while all you did was try to immediately derail the OPs thread. That's just mean.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    bhamden84 wrote: »
    I will put a treadmill on max incline (15%) and go at 4.0mph for 60 minutes. I am significantly bigger, so I burn approximately 1800 in that span, but I imagine you can kind of easily get to 1000 calories that way.

1800 cals?! How much do you weigh?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Walking at a brisk pace for 10 miles, taking about 2.5 hours to do so, will burn about 8,00 to 1,000 calories. Not sure why this is being argued.

Of course, doing this every day would be boring as hell.

Because it's not really true? Especially as OP is light.

I mean, hell, I weigh 200 lbs., and the only way I'm going to burn that much on a walk is if it's a hike with elevation gain and I'm carrying a heavy pack (40 lbs or more). It would be nice if it was true, but alas, NO.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Where are these numbers coming from? An elite aerobic athlete competing for the Tour de France can't burn calories that quickly.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

At the risk of being accused of being mean, this post is meant to be helpful, not just to the person I am quoting but to others who may read it and try it.
    Be careful with incline. Many people jack up the incline then hang onto the rails. This can significantly affect the calories burned.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Otterluv wrote: »
    Walking at a brisk pace for 10 miles, taking about 2.5 hours to do so, will burn about 8,00 to 1,000 calories. Not sure why this is being argued.

I mean, hell, I weigh 200 lbs., and the only way I'm going to burn that much on a walk is if it's a hike with elevation gain and I'm carrying a heavy pack (40 lbs or more). It would be nice if it was true, but alas, NO.

Truth. I'm about the OP's size (5'3", 137lbs) and the only time I can recall being in 1000 calorie burned territory was at a tough mudder and even then I didn't make the mark.

I get about 65-70 calories a mile. I'd like to get 100 a mile but...I mean, I'd also like broccoli to taste like cookies.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    Otterluv wrote: »

Truth. I'm about the OP's size (5'3", 137lbs) and the only time I can recall being in 1000 calorie burned territory was at a tough mudder and even then I didn't make the mark.

I get about 65-70 calories a mile. I'd like to get 100 a mile but...I mean, I'd also like broccoli to taste like cookies.

Oh my goodness, this would be AWESOME!

To be clear, I have counters that tell me that I DO burn that many calories, but after playing this weightloss game for almost 3 years, I can say with authority that they are optimistic. Big time.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The point here, imo, isn't whether it's possible to burn 1000 calories walking if you're large, but whether it's possible for the OP who is . . . not large. She's my size, and I would only burn 650ish walking 10 miles.

And the larger point is whether it's a good idea for her to be trying to burn that much. My opinion is that it isn't. She's already a healthy weight (honestly I'm 5'4" 125ish lbs and I can't imagine trying to lose another 17 lbs), is aiming for a goal weight that's dangerously close to underweight, and she's just looking for a way to lose "as quickly as possible." Even if she speed-walks 10 miles, that 2 hours of exercise per day and she's not talking about eating those calories back. It's much more responsible, imo, to tell her not to try than it is to tell her how to achieve her goal.

tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif