7 foods I am cutting out.

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    tturley wrote: »
    I've completely eliminated carbs, fat and protein. Other than that I don't believe in depriving myself.

It's impossible to completely eliminate carbs, fat, and protein. You're joking, right? If not, provide an example of what you do eat.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love all of the things you mentioned, OP. Delicious!

I found that, with the exception of gluten (and that's not for faddish reasons or the hope of more weight loss; GF replacement foods are by no means a calorie savings, overall), "cutting out" certain foods entirely made me eventually freak out and overeat the "forbidden" foods. Eating basically what I like makes it easy to stay within my calorie goals because I don't have a preemptive deprivation set in place. That may be all mental, but it's what has happened for me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Good luck. And ignore the weird comments about eliminating dirty, moldy food, and vegetables.

Right. Ignore anything that might be silly or fun. Because we have to 100% serious 100% of the time.
    Not what I said. Not even close.

I like moldy food, especially when I know I need an antibiotic. It's free. >:)

Interesting....um you sound like a person that is living off the grid or something.. just kidding :-D

I was just kidding too. I'm allergic to penicillin.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    actually I don't feel deprived or lacking...just substituting this for that.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Good luck. And ignore the weird comments about eliminating dirty, moldy food, and vegetables.

Right. Ignore anything that might be silly or fun. Because we have to 100% serious 100% of the time.
    Not what I said. Not even close.

I like moldy food, especially when I know I need an antibiotic. It's free. >:)

Interesting....um you sound like a person that is living off the grid or something.. just kidding :-D

I was just kidding too. I'm allergic to penicillin.

you need a bracelet made..."I don't like moldy food, I am allergic to penicillin". Like your sense of humor about a pretty serious thing. :-)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Brussels Sprouts (or as I call them, "The Devil's Balls"). Because I hate them.

This, plus asparagus.

I'll take your brussel sprouts and asparagus and give up quinoa which tastes like dirt

I have tried and tried to like quinoa, but I just can't!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oregonian still has the floor...hahaha...Was curious. I am deleting 7 foods from my intake. They are; soda, trans fats, regular pasta, fried foods, high fat dairy, white flour and added white sugar. How about everyone else....what have you decided to elliminate?

I don't cut things out. I don't see the point. I do attempt to eat a healthy diet and there are lots of foods I end up never eating.

If I hadn't switched to other drinks years ago, I probably would have given up sugary soda, though, as I don't like drinking calories, and I never found it anything worth wasting calories on. Similarly, there are various foods I never eat because I don't like them enough to waste calories on. Bread and rice are (sort of) such foods--I'll eat them if they are part of something tasty or serve a need (I had rice today because I went to work immediately after a hard workout and wanted some carbs and protein, and there was leftover rice here from our Friday work lunch, as well as a tofu dish), but I never eat them at home. I don't usually eat full fat dairy because I use it to meet protein needs, but I see no reason to cut it out, and I'd certainly eat some full fat greek yogurt when it fit (and I definitely eat cheese and butter). I use whole wheat pasta mostly at home, but am not adverse to ordering pasta in a restaurant--the sauce is going to be the most important factor in whether it's a good choice or not, IMO. I do eat very little fried foods. I don't add sugar to anything like beverages or the like (never have), but I still will bake on occasion, and that means I won't eliminate flour or sugar.

On the whole I'm against elimination because if you eat enough of it to make a difference to your goals it will be hard to eliminate, why not start with cutting down. And if you don't eat that much to begin with (I rarely bake pies, I don't eat bread at home, etc.) why bother with elimination vs. just continuing to eat it sparingly? I really think it's healthier to focus on the foods you think are good to eat rather than making a fetish out of not letting something pass your lips.

But people are different.

I agree that finding equally satisfying versions of foods that provide more nutrients or fewer calories or are easier to fit into your healthy diet is an extremely reasonable thing to do and I've done it. I've just never thought of that as cutting out foods. It was choosing different foods.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oregonian still has the floor...hahaha...Was curious. I am deleting 7 foods from my intake. They are; soda, trans fats, regular pasta, fried foods, high fat dairy, white flour and added white sugar. How about everyone else....what have you decided to elliminate?

I don't cut things out. I don't see the point. I do attempt to eat a healthy diet and there are lots of foods I end up never eating.

If I hadn't switched to other drinks years ago, I probably would have given up sugary soda, though, as I don't like drinking calories, and I never found it anything worth wasting calories on. Similarly, there are various foods I never eat because I don't like them enough to waste calories on. Bread and rice are (sort of) such foods--I'll eat them if they are part of something tasty or serve a need (I had rice today because I went to work immediately after a hard workout and wanted some carbs and protein, and there was leftover rice here from our Friday work lunch, as well as a tofu dish), but I never eat them at home. I don't usually eat full fat dairy because I use it to meet protein needs, but I see no reason to cut it out, and I'd certainly eat some full fat greek yogurt when it fit (and I definitely eat cheese and butter). I use whole wheat pasta mostly at home, but am not adverse to ordering pasta in a restaurant--the sauce is going to be the most important factor in whether it's a good choice or not, IMO. I do eat very little fried foods. I don't add sugar to anything like beverages or the like (never have), but I still will bake on occasion, and that means I won't eliminate flour or sugar.

On the whole I'm against elimination because if you eat enough of it to make a difference to your goals it will be hard to eliminate, why not start with cutting down. And if you don't eat that much to begin with (I rarely bake pies, I don't eat bread at home, etc.) why bother with elimination vs. just continuing to eat it sparingly? I really think it's healthier to focus on the foods you think are good to eat rather than making a fetish out of not letting something pass your lips.

But people are different.

I agree that finding equally satisfying versions of foods that provide more nutrients or fewer calories or are easier to fit into your healthy diet is an extremely reasonable thing to do and I've done it. I've just never thought of that as cutting out foods. It was choosing different foods.
    Her follow up posts note that she's found substitutions for the foods she said she was "eliminating".
    I guess it's all comes down to semantics.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Why all the dislike for moldy food?

xes5ngf96t69.jpg

I've largely given up on sugar-free or dairy-free coffee creamers. They just don't do it for me.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Haven't cut anything out for weight loss. Cut out gluten almost 5 years ago for digestive relief, and otherwise I don't cut anything out that I enjoy (I also eat the GF alternatives instead). Only things I "cut out" are things that I genuinely do not like or that I don't eat regularly enough anyways to really bother going out of my way to keep in my diet (e.g. pickles, but if I really want pickles I'll eat them.;.. they just aren't something I'm ever all that into regardless of weight management goals).
  • ana3067
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Why all the dislike for moldy food?

xes5ngf96t69.jpg

I've largely given up on sugar-free or dairy-free coffee creamers. They just don't do it for me.

:/
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

I have not eliminated any food or drinks. I eat what I like every single day and fit it in my calories. I have limited eating certain foods that are not filling or nutritious enough for their calorie count.
    On a more positive note, I am adding more vegetables and fruits to my diet. I am being more aware of sodium, protein and fiber content of the foods I eat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I guess it's all comes down to semantics.

Yes, if you eat low fat dairy because you like it as well as the other plus like that it has fewer calories, I don't see that as cutting out a food. But OP started a thread to ask people what they cut out, so she seems to find something significant in that terminology.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Added sugar and wheat.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out to lose weight, but I've cut out alcohol (screws up my runs the next morning) and I don't eat pork. Other than that if I like it (and it fits in my calories) I eat it
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies. But only because I can't be trusted with a box of them.

So true for me. Though very occasionally, I'll get a box. I wish they sold them individually.

OP I haven't totally cut anything that I really like out. I have drastically reduced some things. ie the Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies and sweet tea. Other things, I've decided don't taste good enough to justify their calorie count like pop tarts and grocery store bakery cake.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I ♡ brussels sprouts and whole milk and 4% fat cottage cheese and full fat yogurt. Yum.

Can't think of anything I've cut out entirely. One thing that I turn down a lot is donuts. The calorie cost isn't usually worth it to me.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

This thread, you'll soon see, will be wildly unpopular here.

When I first began learning how to eat right, I cut out soda, fried foods, bleached, enriched white flour, and foods with more than 3 grams of added sugars. (14 years ago). Now I would say I *limit* those foods, and consider them "treats". And when I eat them, I make sure they are darned tasty, well prepared, and evened out in terms of glycemic impact. Trans fats I eliminated later.

Your approach to this sounds a lot like the south beach diet. There's a group here who aim to eat "low glycemic". If it appeals to you, join the group.

There are certainly foods that I don't really eat any more, simply because the calories are too high for me to justify them. However, just knowing that I have chosen not to eat them at this time versus, "OMG I can NEVER eat that food again" makes all the difference in the world. I don't typically eat a lot of bread. I like it, I just don't have it on even a daily basis. However, if I were to tell myself "no more bread" I'd start craving it like a fiend. That's just how MY brain works. The first time I tried Atkins, it ended after a few days with an entire loaf of French bread. :lol:
    Not sure why you quoted me, but yes, apparently saying "never" makes some folks want things more.

Well, since you commented on the flippant answers and I gave one, I thought I'd explain my thought process a little more seriously. My bad.
  • ana3067
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies. But only because I can't be trusted with a box of them.

So true for me. Though very occasionally, I'll get a box. I wish they sold them individually.

OP I haven't totally cut anything that I really like out. I have drastically reduced some things. ie the Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies and sweet tea. Other things, I've decided don't taste good enough to justify their calorie count like pop tarts and grocery store bakery cake.

Pop tarts were never good to begin wtih... only the hard icing shell, which I used to bit off and then I'd only eat that and the jelliest parts. Donuts are way better
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Same here, but with Swiss Cake Rolls. I will buy a box and eat two, then give the rest away to family. I'm sure they make threads on here about sabotage ;)

Oh man, Swiss Cake Rolls. I go for a while forgetting that those exist and then I'll get one single-serve package on a whim while I'm out and about. They never disappoint.