7 foods I am cutting out.

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Kale isn't pretentious, just trendy. And it's been trendy for quite some time, so people will be over it soon. Hipsters will be able to eat it again then.

Edit: Ack! I made the hipster point before I saw mamapeach's post.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Usually, I don't cut out anything except foods I don't like. But right now I'm in treatment for insomnia and I've had to cut out the following foods for six weeks: caffein (any), cheese, cauliflower, garbanzo beans, cranberries, turnips, and ham. Don't ask me why. ;-/ It has something to do with mercury. lol
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I cut out nothing. Unless you can do something forever this is not really very reasonable. Why not use moderation CICO seems to work no matter what your diet is.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    : waves cane around :

I liked kale long before those hipster paleo kids came along and made it a "thing". They can all get off my lawn.

LOL

Well some good did come out of it being labeled "superfood"...it's more readily available.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    : waves cane around :

I liked kale long before those hipster paleo kids came along and made it a "thing". They can all get off my lawn.

LOL

Well some good did come out of it being labeled "superfood"...it's more readily available.

I miss the acai craze. It was just more fun to pronounce.

And blueberries. Anyone else remember when blueberries were a superfood?

• Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Kale because its too pretentious

And totally gross! Lol!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Yum blueberries. I always have blueberries in my freezer. I must have missed their super status.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I never know about superfoods--must not read the right things. I just happen to like blueberries and kale, but I've yet to try acai or flax seeds or chia seeds or eating spoonfuls of coconut oil (ugh, although it's fine to cook with).

Moreover, I can't think about chia seeds without that annoying chia pet tune running through my head.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I'm only cutting out foods that are "not worth" the calories for me. I don't want to drink my calories, so I rarely drink soda. When I drink calories, I want it to be wine or Blue Moon. Or maybe an occasional - super rare - latte or cappuccino.

I choose not to eat foods that are high in calories vs. the satisfaction. Unless I have a lot of calories to spare. If I want to eat girl scout cookies, I will not be happy with 1 serving of 4 thin mints. I have to have enough calories to be able to eat at least 8 or maybe even 12 of them. Otherwise, it's not enjoyable for me.

I don't eat most breads simply because the impact on my calorie count is not worth it - I don't enjoy most breads enough to justify using calories on them. Unless it's toasty garlic bread, garlic knots, or a Mediterranean Veggie Sammich at Panera.

I choose not to eat snack cakes like Ring Dings or Twinkies simply because I don't get enough enjoyment or satisfaction from them to justify the calories.

I don't worry if I go "over" on my "goal totals" for sugars or fat for the day as long as I stay within my calorie goal. I frequently go over my sugars and all I've had is 1 cup of vanilla yogurt..and the rest is fruit. LOL
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Okra, okra,okra,okra,okra,okra, and okra.

Have you tried fried okra? If it is cut thinly enough it's pretty good and doesn't have the gooey vomit thing going on.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Haggis
    Natto
    Head cheese
    Blood pudding
    Blood sausage

WHHHHHYYYYYY would you have eaten those things to begin with???

Okay I'm just ignorant and don't know what they are or what they taste like, but still ;)

• marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Soda - I drink it occasionally, but gave it about about 10 years ago.
    I haven't really given anything else up, but I am eating a lot less bread and pasta. I don't eat as much of those because the portion I want is often not worth the calories. Similar to @wizzybeth's explanation
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Brussels Sprouts (or as I call them, "The Devil's Balls"). Because I hate them.

:drinker:

Yes, absolutely. Nasty, nasty food.

And cauliflower, too, that's gag-me gross.

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Oregonian still has the floor...hahaha...Was curious. I am deleting 7 foods from my intake. They are; soda, trans fats, regular pasta, fried foods, high fat dairy, white flour and added white sugar. How about everyone else....what have you decided to elliminate?

I thought I'd eliminated all these things, when it just turns out I didn't buy a lot of them to prepare food in the house but happily ate them if someone else cooked... Only thing is I replaced soda with diet and (hopefully) don't consume any trans fat. Do foods still have them?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Kale is poor-people, salt-of-the-earth food. It's one of the few crops that overwinters well.

I grow my own kale...I would love to grow okra, but I don't have space in my garden.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Brussels Sprouts (or as I call them, "The Devil's Balls"). Because I hate them.

:drinker:

Yes, absolutely. Nasty, nasty food.

And cauliflower, too, that's gag-me gross.

So you're not a fan of cauliflower rice, then? Or mashed cauliflower? I tried the latter once. Per the recipe we had to add so much crap to it that it wound up WAY more calories than the real thing ever would be. Turns out the creator's goal was low CARB, not low calories...

• Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am not eliminating anything. As soon as I do that I want it like mad and end up eating loads.
    So I eat what I want when I want in small quantities.
  • Tea_Lord
    Tea_Lord Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Fizzy drinks
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Having come to this thread, i now want green beans, asparagus, fresh beets (but not canned because they're disgusting), and i have the chia pet song stuck in my head.