Running question...how realistic is this??

Options
13»

Replies

• jimicarpenter1283
    jimicarpenter1283 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! I started the c25k program have moved to the 10k program and am currently running 11 min miles and I'm up to 5 miles in 10 weeks and am currently 279lbs you got this!!!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yep you can totally do it! i don't have much experience with trail running. Most of mine is on streets (well side walks). If you follow a plan and make sure you are not going full out at first then you can totally do it. I have to fight the tendency (even now on my recovery weeks) to not go overboard. I am sure many other runners experience it. I did when training for my marathon. I would feel great when coming to the end of a long run that I just wanted to keep going. I have to fight that all of the time because I don't want to fall into the trap of over training. I did that once before and it sucked big time.

Good luck and happy running!

Oh and like someone said...once you are outside you will understand the dreadmill!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yes- this is realistic. However, it is going to depend how frequent you train. You will need one rest day each week. You should include these types of run in your program:
    -
    1) long slow distance running- this is like steady state running, a pace you could maintain for a while

2) Interval Runs- alternating between short sprints/and slow jog or walk

3) Repetition training- sub max sprint running with work intervals lasting between 30-90 seconds, with recovery.
    4) Pace tempo running- this should be incorporated later on while you build up mileage, but its where you are running at your race pace for 20-30 minutes.

4) Fartlek running- a combo of long slow distance running, running hills, and pace/tempo running

Here is a good article about 4 common running form mistakes that might help you starting out to prevent injuries: http://www.channelyourinnerathlete.com/4-common-running-form-mistakes/

I think all of the different run types are probably too much for a complete novice to be concerned about. Right now, she just wants to get to the point where she can run the distance.

OP, go here for some solid training programs for any distance: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

Pick the novice/novice 1 programs for the first time you train for a particular distance. Worry about all the pace work later. That's in the more advanced programs for the same distance.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You should include these types of run in your program:

Nothing like overcomplicating it. Best bet for a new runner is just to use a standard programme, rather than trying to suggest making it up as they go along.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Yes- this is realistic. However, it is going to depend how frequent you train. You will need one rest day each week. You should include these types of run in your program:
    -
    1) long slow distance running- this is like steady state running, a pace you could maintain for a while

2) Interval Runs- alternating between short sprints/and slow jog or walk

3) Repetition training- sub max sprint running with work intervals lasting between 30-90 seconds, with recovery.
    4) Pace tempo running- this should be incorporated later on while you build up mileage, but its where you are running at your race pace for 20-30 minutes.

4) Fartlek running- a combo of long slow distance running, running hills, and pace/tempo running

Here is a good article about 4 common running form mistakes that might help you starting out to prevent injuries: http://www.channelyourinnerathlete.com/4-common-running-form-mistakes/

I think all of the different run types are probably too much for a complete novice to be concerned about. Right now, she just wants to get to the point where she can run the distance.

OP, go here for some solid training programs for any distance: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

Pick the novice/novice 1 programs for the first time you train for a particular distance. Worry about all the pace work later. That's in the more advanced programs for the same distance.

thanks for this!