Jeeeeeese give yourselves a break!

Options
12346»

Replies

• shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Like it or not, eating IS a social activity, and it can be weird to show up to an eating event (dinner party, BBQ, etc.) and then not eat anything. A little etiquette tip - when invited somewhere, always call or text beforehand to see if the host needs any help, or to let them know of anything special (we're coming late, we won't be eating, should we bring anything, etc.) Usually the host doesn't need anything, but I still try to bring something that I can eat without feeling bad about it (veggie trays or fruit salad are usually pretty popular). If you fill up on things that are good for you, then eating smaller amounts of something less healthful shouldn't be a problem. If you don't feel that you can do that, it's okay to come to a barbecue after the eating part is over, to hang out and have a few drinks. It is extremely rude to come to someone's event with no food or drink, without having stated that you have special food needs, and then complain that someone has not made arrangements for you.

That being said, my grandpa is diabetic, but when he comes up for a visit my dad still buys all sorts of pies and pastries and such. Because he doesn't want to be a party pooper, he eats too much and ALWAYS has a sugar spike. As a host, it's always nice to be aware of your guests needs/tastes, and have a healthier option for people who want to take it.

It's kind of like going to the mall with someone who doesn't have any money. It can make YOU feel like you're doing something wrong by spending a lot, since they are abstaining. Ideally, you should feel free to spend as much as you can afford, and they should feel free to spend nothing at all - but it can be miserable to go with someone who just wants to complain about how they would LOVE that pair of shoes but they can't afford it...
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Having a "cheat meal" is not so bad. What people need to learn is portion control! Even on a cheat. What I don't understand is why people "diet" in the first place. It is SO FOREIGN to me! If I am going to make a change with my eating habits and I'm not going to compete, you bet your sweet *kitten* that I have made a LIFESTYLE change! Diets are temporary! When you get to your "goal weight" what are you going to do? Eat like you did before the diet and then wind back up in the same spot you were in the beginning? We all need to preach a healthy lifestyle. NOT a diet. I've been maintaining since March 2011... I ate my cake at my wedding, I eat snickers ice cream bars with my kids, I have doughnuts, etc etc etc! It's just ALL in moderation! I RARELY eat these things but when I do, I CAN control myself because I don't DEPRIVE myself. Your friends just need more knowledge on what works and what doesnt... Not bashing them.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well done to everyone losing weight and trying so hard etc.

but you are all going to hate me for saying this............

I'm sick of seeing people whinging about family occasions, BBQs, parties etc and oooooooh what can they avoid eating during that time and what else shall they bring/maybe even turn down the invite?
    Tip- go to the gym before and then the day after! Live a little for gods sake!

I had a BBQ last Friday, loads of yummy food i prepp'd that I cooked and paid for and 2 of the 4 people that were there......didn't eat anything because they were fussing over putting weight on ( they are the perfect weight and im heavier than them) its so rude, i wish they hadn't bothered coming!
    I spend six days of the week being careful and working out so i deserve a treat!

I've been away from mfp for a week due to being ill and being generally too busy, and i actually feel better and less guilty for it!

Hardly anyone that's on here can seem to ever enjoy themselves properly!

I'm all up for healthy alternatives but think about the Host on the other side, and life's to short!

Very well said...I I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Why if they are so worried about their diet are they drinking her beers but not eating her food? If they were going to be a decent guest they should eat her food she spent time preparing and just have one or two beers if so worried about gaining weight! Also the left over beerw will keep for ages but food doesn't.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Why if they are so worried about their diet are they drinking her beers but not eating her food? If they were going to be a decent guest they should eat her food she spent time preparing and just have one or two beers if so worried about gaining weight! Also the left over beerw will keep for ages but food doesn't.

Yeah What she said !
  • Tigg_er
    Options
    We watch what we eat pretty closely, but when we went on vacation a couple of weeks ago my daughter and her girlfriend had an itinerary planned for us that pretty much centered around great places to eat in Kansas City. We pretty much ate our weight in food (and I mean thousands of calories every day). We were expecting to gain, and were just hoping it would be no more than ten pounds or so, including water weight from higher salt contents. I weighed 4.5 lbs more when we got home, and hubby weighted almost 9 lbs. more. It only took us a week to take it back off, plus a little more. We planned for it, we expected it, and we took it in stride. It was so much more fun than ruining the girls' plans and depriving ourselves on vacation.

Special occasions are bound to come along. We should be glad we have family and friends to share them with.

I would bet you made your daughter very happy the time you spent with her like that . I would be more then happy to gain 10 lbs just for the memories, I put it on I can take it off. It would be worth it.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Yeah What she said !

Your $50 is in the post x
  • Tigg_er
    Options

Yeah What she said !

Your $50 is in the post x

Oh You made me blush.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Only thing that irks me is when people are asking how to stay on their diet when going on vacation, and here am I sitting here, having not had a vacation in 18 years, with little hope of one anytime soon. They don't know how fortunate they are to get a vacation.
  • lillith1991
    Options

Yeah What she said !

Yup! Its rude especially if they're going to drink beer instead. Srry people but beer is high in calories. They could easily go way over calory wise on beer alone.