Is Fitbit worth the money?

Options

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love my fitbit.. It has been my new toy for nutrition and fitness and activity...

However let me add my personal experiences (and I speak on behalf of the others that has the same issues)...

Fitbit does make some crappy "equipment". I own the "charge" and the band does not hold up and the display button falls off when you are or not looking. For the $130.00 + and up you pay, you may get a week, month or maybe 6 months before the defects start showing through.. These are know issues and are all over the Fitbit community about these mfg and or design flaws...

Do your homework and read all the posiive and negative reviews on any tracker and look for not just does it track things well but is the equipment optmal and long lasting...

I have been through three trackers in 6 months and that's were I will end it ...

Edited to add the batteries also have major issues...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    a fitbit zip is £38 and free delivery on Amazon
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, absolutely. It motivates me like crazy, especially when I'm in challenges with friends.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    kpkitten wrote: »

It's really great for me to be able to see how active I am, when I manage to be active without really noticing it, and vary my calories daily according to how active I've *actually* been, not just my appetite or an "average" that doesn't take into account the huge difference between my most and least active days.

This is the main reason why I have not switched over to TDEE. I can have a difference of 1200 calories between my most active days and my least and I feel more confident eating according to that day's burn rather than an average. (I eat back an average about 50% of my exercise calories earned. Some days more, some days less). When I get closer to my goal and am getting ready to switch to maintenance I will switch from NEAT to TDEE

• KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Charge HR. The heart rate monitor on it makes all the difference for me, I like being able to view my workout to see where my heartrate was throughout the workout and how many calories I burned. I also do step challenges with coworkers and definetly get more steps in during the day just in pure motivation to beat them.
  • Andreake08
    Andreake08 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It is. WHEN it works!! I got one Saturday and I must have gotten a dud, because the thing loses charge within the HOUR.

So frustrating.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I love my fitbit.. It has been my new toy for nutrition and fitness and activity...

However let me add my personal experiences (and I speak on behalf of the others that has the same issues)...

Fitbit does make some crappy "equipment". I own the "charge" and the band does not hold up and the display button falls off when you are or not looking. For the $130.00 + and up you pay, you may get a week, month or maybe 6 months before the defects start showing through.. These are know issues and are all over the Fitbit community about these mfg and or design flaws...

Do your homework and read all the posiive and negative reviews on any tracker and look for not just does it track things well but is the equipment optmal and long lasting...

I have been through three trackers in 6 months and that's were I will end it ...

Wow, I've had my Fitbit One for just over one and a half years and never had any problems with it, still working perfectly.
  • trillionblue
    trillionblue Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think the fitbit zip would be a good option like rabbitjb said. I have the fitbit flex which has encouraged me to walk more and get off my desk when I've been sitting for a long period. Though sometimes I forget to put it on and I don't always want to have it on my wrist. I think being able to clip it anywhere would be a better option! Best of luck :smile:
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have the basic Zip and I would not want to live without it now! It has encouraged me to get much more exercise throughout the day and the evening too! Even at uni on every break I am up to fill my water bottle up, taking the stairs instead of the lift and am pacing while waiting for the train. I am 5ft1 and 42 years old but have a TDEE of over 2000 cals a day calculated over 30 days. I honestly think I will wear a Fitbit for the rest of my life!
  • earlnabby
    Options

Wow, I've had my Fitbit One for just over one and a half years and never had any problems with it, still working perfectly.

I have had my Flex for a little over a year and it is still working perfectly. I wear it 24/7 except when I am charging.

• earlnabby
    Options
    Andreake08 wrote: »
    It is. WHEN it works!! I got one Saturday and I must have gotten a dud, because the thing loses charge within the HOUR.

So frustrating.

Have you contacted customer service? They are great and will resolve your issue quickly.

• SyllyReth
    SyllyReth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It is definitely woth th money for me. I wear my Flex ALL the time and rely pretty heavily on it to change my calorie intake throughout the day. It's making a huge difference and I absolutely love it. Do not regret spending the money at all.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

All I am saying is that I speak for my self and others (and there are others) that do have issues with the "equipment" it self.

I love the app and even the desktop website. It tracks well and it does more than I need and is awesome. The equipment does not hold up long term and I wear mine 24/7 except charging, showering and washing dishes.

My advice is to simply do your homework so that the money you spend is something you will get your moneys worth. I have had a replacement given to me everytime and that is great.. but when you are away from your tracker, then you do not get the data recorded and it is a hassel, and decide how you want your money spent...

There can't possibly be 100% positive feed back on every single formum about every single product or thing... SORRY
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    IMO you're better off getting a heart rate monitor that can track your heart rate for a work out period rather than something that just estimates your steps all day. A HRM will give you an estimated calorie burn for your workout, too, and let you know when you're really burning those calories.

Also some HRMs have the added bonus of GPS features, etc. I have a Polar.

Seems to me that the fitbits are too inaccurate to rely on... and I've heard a lot of people say they overestimate calorie burn.
  • prairiegirl0109
    prairiegirl0109 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've owned my Fitbit Charge HR for about a month now, and am not disappointed at all with spending the money on it! It keeps me accountable and motivated. In my opinion, it is worth it if you feel YOU are worth it! xoxo
  • Andreake08
    Andreake08 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Andreake08 wrote: »

So frustrating.

Have you contacted customer service? They are great and will resolve your issue quickly.

Yes, but I live in Belgium and things resolve a "tad" slower than in the UK or the States... In the meanwhile, no answer from fitbit.com, nor from the place I got it (I got it at Mediamarkt "insert Flemish name here", but I contacted mediamarkt.be first, then the branch).

I really want it to work properly, because during the hour it does, it's amazing!
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit one, I've had it for 2 years now. The only problem I had was the silicone holder started to break a little about a year into my owning it, I emailed Fitbit customer service with a picture and they were super prompt and nice and sent me a new one for free.
    I have a separate HRM I use for my specific workouts that I then sync to my Fitbit account and my Fitbit account to MFP. TBH I am not sure about the heart rate monitor on the wrist that the Charge has as far as accuracy, but anyhow I don't like to wear things on my wrist so will stick with my One.
    I will second others, on my non active days I can be VERY non active so I like to eat based on my daily activity and my Fitbit lets me do that :smile:
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ive got a Fitbit Surge. Absolutely love it and when coupled with MFP is a great way for me to track exactly where I am calories wise at any particular moment. The only difficulty I have is taking it off! Think Im a bit addicted!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My first fitbit zip broke after 2 months and they replaced it within 7 days (I just went back to my flex whilst I was waiting)

thinking about it I think it's cos I wore it facing inwards in my bra and it possibly got sweat damaged :blush: