Is Fitbit worth the money?

Options

Replies

• jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! I have a Fitbit Flex since it's got the smallest profile and I can swap bands out on it (got a black and white polka dot one on right now). Plus, from several online studies and reviews, it proved to be one of the most accurate AND consistent. The only other one I'd consider right now is the Garmin Vivofit but they need to work on some software improvements before then. The Flex syncs up with my phone and my computer and it links with everything from MFP to my doctor's website (yes, I share that info with my doc LOL).

Above all else, it makes me pay attention to what I'm doing. I work a desk job and it encourages me to make those few extra steps or go run errands at work to get in more of a burn. I try not to eat the calories it gives me back unless it's a special day. I have my goals set on MFP to lose 1 lb / week but, with the Fitbit encouraging me, I lose anywhere from 1lb (good ol' TOM) to 2 lbs a week. Plus with the extra accountability, it makes it even harder for me to "cheat" on my diet. TOTALLY worth the money.
  • UncreativeMe123
    UncreativeMe123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a charge HR and I have really mixed feelings on it. I love the tracking, that I can get at least a rough HR estimate if I want it, and find the step counting to be accurate. I also like the stop watch function so that you can use if you hold the button down, and use it frequently if I am doing short bursts of something. Stair climbing isn't that accurate, HR isn't that accurate (I still wear a chest strap if I really care about watching my HR during a workout), plus you're stuck with it on your wrist. I also suspect the calorie burn might not be that accurate....

Another issue with these is that it puts emphasis on steps, which is fine, except it's really frustrating to swim and cycle and have these basically be useless, I would prefer a different measurement of activity, or some calculation to have these count towards the step goal.

Oh! And another thing, the screen on this scratches so easily, it looked months old within a few days. Other than that quality is holding up. The band did stretch, but I eventually was able to just wear it a notch tighter (there was just a frustrating period where I was in between notches)

I received this as a gift, and am contemplating exchanging it for a One, since overall that seems to be more reliable and costs less. Plus you can clip it instead of wearing it like a watch.

So, I'd say go with a cheaper fitbit version, and hope that in the next year something more comprehensive and reliable comes out :)
  • 1triciakae
    1triciakae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had the jawbone Up24 and after a couple weeks I began to notice that my wrist would get itchy. Then I developed like bumps and super itchy and red. I am pretty sure i am allergic to the small amount of metal on the button on the end. After awhile it started to space out and then it stopped working all together. Also with the JAwbone you have to push the button to start the sleep cycle and I kept forgetting so I had no logged sleep.
    To replace my broken Jawbone up24 I bought the fitbit Charge not the HR because they were sold out. I love it! I love how you can tap it and see your steps it automatically monitors your sleep cycle.
    I set a goal for myself every day and I will try my hardest to meet that goal so it is motivating for me.
  • asitstszpd44
    Options
    I won the Fitbit Flex from work, I don't think it is worth it. I was so excited to get and start using it, but it is not accurate. I like using the app RunKeeper to track my runs. I just got a Polar Heart Rate Monitor FT4 (it is about half the price of a Fitbit) and am pretty excited to start using it. I think this will work better for me!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Just my $0.02. No.
  • FitForLife2015
    FitForLife2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me, yes. I have the one. I've had it for a week, and I've found myself wanting to go "all green". That makes me get up and move my bum, but before, I'd just sit and eat. As long as I ate within my calories, no harm no foul. At least that's what it used to be! Love it!
  • RussellSchenck
    RussellSchenck Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lost over 50 pounds to date. I am a numbers guy and the fitbit helps motivate me to walk more because I have a daily goal and try to max it every day, rain or shine. I use the Ultra and have no need for the other bells and whistles on the more expensive models. It syncs up with MFP to help me stay under my daily calories and continue to lose weight.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR. I've found it instrumental in getting me moving more regularly. I have been using it since January. I like all it's features, including the sleep tracking. I find I get credit for things that aren't steps (like if I'm drumming or sanding the walls on the renovation I'm doing)... but I'm ok with that because those activities are usually still ones that are physically taxing.

I did have a problem with mine about a month and a half in. The unit stopped responding. I called their customer service line, and they told me how to reboot the device, and if that didn't work, I could return it to the store or send it back to fitbit. The reboot worked, but if it spaces out again, I will be replacing the device.

I've made a point of reaching my step goal for the entire work week, and had a "woosh" of weight loss this past week. I'd like to think that it's working to keep me motivated well enough to lose the weight. :)
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I save up and spend the money. But that's just me. To me it's important to have. I feel like I'm not guessing as much. Lots of people rave about HR monitors for tracking calories and such. So you could also go that rout. I love the fitbit. My problems is, I keep getting new ones when they advance. (and no, I don't have much money, I just really want it and save up for it).
  • Jillian1104
    Jillian1104 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For me, it definitely was. I work in a place where I can't bring my cell phone into the building and thus, can't use any walking/movement trackers already imbedded there. It has helped me to ensure that I'm moving enough each day, and as a result, I've broken my previous plateau. I also like how it links to MFP nutrition, though I think MFP adds too much to the added calories for the day.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    My husband is addicted to his Fitbit...it really helps him get his steps in. Me on the other hand...I have an office job so getting walking in throughout the day is pretty much not going to happen...I like Tabata and crossfit or using dvd's much more than plain old walking. I have started running but I use an free app on my phone to track distance.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Or any other tracker for that matter.

I'm aware this will have been asked a 100 times before but I don't feel like wading through all the previous posts.

My sister has one which has peaked my interests but the price puts me off, yet I realise it may have the ability to motivate me.

I got a Jawbone Up 24 for Christmas and I used it for about a week. I don't really care about reaching a certain number of steps through the day or anything. I go to work (in an office) and move when I can, and then I work out. Also the sleeping function just didn't work at all. I was awake when it said I was sleeping and I was sleeping when it said I was awake. :) Oh well. At least now I know it's just not for me.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that if you're using a flex, and doing something where your hands are full, or you're pushing a cart or whatever, you should take your flex off and shove it in your pocket so that it picks up your steps.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I got the Misfit Shine about 5 months ago and I really like it. It's completely waterproof (I walk the perimeter of the swimming pool in summer, so the waterproof feature was important to me) and it uses a watch battery which lasts about 18 mos. so no need to ever take it off. It tracks steps pretty accurately (when I compare it to my smartphone tracker and MapMyWalk) and also tracks sleep. You need to sync it with a smartphone app, and I do wish the app was a little more robust. I wear mine on my ankle, but you can wear it on your wrist or as a pendant around your neck.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I loved mine for all of a week.... then i realized that the info was of no value to me, and didn't motivate all that much. I prefer a more accurate chest strap HRM to use during actual workouts. To each their own.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Angierae75 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that if you're using a flex, and doing something where your hands are full, or you're pushing a cart or whatever, you should take your flex off and shove it in your pocket so that it picks up your steps.

Mine picks up steps no matter what my hands are doing. I have tested it many ways and have seen no difference. The only time it doesn't pick up all of the steps is when I am jogging in the pool. No matter what my arms are doing, I get about 80% of my steps because there isn't enough impact on the bottom of the pool because of the buoyancy of the water.

This whole thing about "your arms have to be moving" is a falsehood.

• hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with my fitbit. Love it!!
  • thyme4
    thyme4 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Upgraded from a One to a Charge HR in January. It is an essential tool for me, and I love having my TDEE records so that I can adjust my eating or my activity as necessary to hit my goals. Also with the HR it does a better job of adjusting for the hills and inclines in my daily walking route.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    thyme4 wrote: »
    Upgraded from a One to a Charge HR in January. It is an essential tool for me, and I love having my TDEE records so that I can adjust my eating or my activity as necessary to hit my goals. Also with the HR it does a better job of adjusting for the hills and inclines in my daily walking route.

I really wanted one but I need a tracker that I can swim with so I am sticking with my flex.

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Angierae75 wrote: »

Mine picks up steps no matter what my hands are doing. I have tested it many ways and have seen no difference. The only time it doesn't pick up all of the steps is when I am jogging in the pool. No matter what my arms are doing, I get about 80% of my steps because there isn't enough impact on the bottom of the pool because of the buoyancy of the water.

This whole thing about "your arms have to be moving" is a falsehood.

I'm glad this has been your experience. It has not been mine. I've spent an hour in the grocery store and only a very small % of my steps have been picked up while I was pushing the cart around.

80% of my steps isn't enough accuracy for me. It might be for others.