Confused about carbs

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Despite what many are saying, consuming carbs to a varying degree does change how your body stores and burns body fat, which can change how well you lose weight. Keeping a low carb diet is best and ideal for your body. Your brain and other major organs thrive on fat and your body converts protein into necessary sugars. Basic low carb, I believe, is under 100g - 50g net carb (that's after subtracting total carbs with dietary fiber and sugar alcohols) and a diet called the Ketogenic diet is 20g net carbs and under.

Here are some illustrations and articles for an easier understanding:
    * http://www.fastcodesign.com/1668916/pasta-not-bacon-makes-you-fat-but-how

* http://www.forbes.com/sites/bethhoffman/2012/04/16/carbs-or-fat-the-battle-continues-infographic/

lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Objective website there I see.

"ditchthecarbs.com" doesn't scream scholarly to you?

Yeah, me neither.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I hope the OP read KGyeser's post, took it to heart, and left before the dumpster fire starts.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    OP, the number of carbs you need is going to be determined by your activity level and your goals. Someone who participates in endurance activities would probably prefer a higher carb intake compared to someone who is mostly sedentary. You might also find that you feel better when you have a certain number of carbs in your diet, and that going above or below that general number doesn't leave you feeling your best or leads to behaviors which derail your efforts. Some people may find that they end up binging after several days of being lower than usual on their carbs, or that too many carbs leave them feeling sluggish or leads to overeating because they don't feel satisfied by the food they are eating.

You don't need to go low carb to lose weight or improve health markers (unless you have a medical condition that requires you to restrict carbs). Find a way of eating that works for you and your lifestyle that includes foods you like and enjoy, which helps you hit your macronutrient needs (which will be based on you specifically), allows you to fulfill your micronutrient needs, and once again, works for you and your lifestyle.

This^^^
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Objective website there I see.

Anyway, I like the carbs, I eat all the carbs. I'm leaner, fitter and stronger than ever.

OP, lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit. Tailor the macronutrient make-up of this deficit for personal preference, performance and sustainability.

Spend the rest of your time enjoying your dietary intake and being amused by the internet arguments surrounding the subject.

This is also solid advice.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    kutedaisy wrote: »
    See I don't know. Is like to believe the cico method but so hard have little success but when I tried south beach where I ate very little carbs I lost 9lbs easily and didn't feel hungry like I do when watching calories.

Water weight loss, high fat = satiety, naturally eating lower calorie.

Track calories with more fat intake.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Despite what many are saying, consuming carbs to a varying degree does change how your body stores and burns body fat, which can change how well you lose weight. Keeping a low carb diet is best and ideal for your body. Your brain and other major organs thrive on fat and your body converts protein into necessary sugars. Basic low carb, I believe, is under 100g - 50g net carb (that's after subtracting total carbs with dietary fiber and sugar alcohols) and a diet called the Ketogenic diet is 20g net carbs and under.

* http://www.forbes.com/sites/bethhoffman/2012/04/16/carbs-or-fat-the-battle-continues-infographic/

Carbs do not change how your body stores fat ...can you explain why you think this with some form of evidence because as an assertion it's fairly odd

Keeping a low carb diet is only ideal if you find it easy and can stick to it for life which most don't / can't

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/why/

Taking a snippet:

"When you consume carbohydrates, they get turned into glucose by your body. The pancreas then secretes insulin to reduce the blood glucose levels. Insulin is our fat STORING hormone and fat burning is switched off. If we have very little amounts of carbohydrates in our diet, we then secrete less insulin, and therefore store less fat and able to burn fat."

If you can't trust ditchthecarbs.com to bring you the unbiased truth about carbs, who can you trust?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I must admit, low carbers make this way of eating sound magical. i have tried a few times but cant stick with it. It's not as if i stuff my face with bread, pasta and potatoes. I rarely eat any of those things, its just that i love milk, fruit, yogurt, veggies, my chocolaty fibre powder and ice cream etc etc, stuff i cant and wont give up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat a lot of carbs, because I thought too many were bad. I keep getting different responses and it's confusing me. I eat around 150 (from fruits and whole grains,etc. not junk food), and someone said I could eat more than this

carbohydrates are just one of three macro-nutrients...nothing more, nothing less. I eat plenty of carbohydrates and I'm a lean, mean machine.

There are certain metabolic medical conditions for which cutting carbs can be beneficial...but for an otherwise healthy individual, it really makes no difference. Also, most people who eat the SAD could stand to reduce their carbohydrate intake in order to better balance out their diets...and said individuals could also stand to make better nutritional decisions in general...like putting down the 40 ounce Big Gulp, eating more whole, nutrient dense foods (including things like legumes, oats, etc which are all carbohydrates), etc.
  • BritDillinger
    Options

Carbs do not change how your body stores fat ...can you explain why you think this with some form of evidence because as an assertion it's fairly odd

Keeping a low carb diet is only ideal if you find it easy and can stick to it for life which most don't / can't

Taking a snippet:

"When you consume carbohydrates, they get turned into glucose by your body. The pancreas then secretes insulin to reduce the blood glucose levels. Insulin is our fat STORING hormone and fat burning is switched off. If we have very little amounts of carbohydrates in our diet, we then secrete less insulin, and therefore store less fat and able to burn fat."

If you can't trust ditchthecarbs.com to bring you the unbiased truth about carbs, who can you trust?

Here, from bodybuilding.com: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keto.htm

I will copy/paste most of the page for you. Read the entire page then if these don’t answer your questions.

BENEFIT 1
    The main benefit being that it increases the body's ability to utilize fats for fuel, which gets very lazy on a high carbohydrate diet. When on high carbohydrate diets the body can usually expect an energy source to keep entering the body. But in the state of ketosis the body has to become efficient at mobilizing fats as energy.

BENEFIT 2
    Ketosis has a protein sparing effect, assuming that you are consuming adequate quantities of protein and calories in the first place. Once in ketosis the body actually prefers ketones to glucose. Since the body has copious quantities of fat this means that there is no need to oxidize protein to generate glucose through gluconeogenesis.

BENEFIT 3
    Another benefit has to do with the low levels of insulin in the body, which causes greater lipolysis and free glycerol release compared to a normal diet when insulin is around 80-120. Insulin has a lipolysis blocking effect, which can inhibit the use of fatty acids as energy. Also when insulin is brought to low levels many beneficial hormones are released in the body such as growth hormone and other powerful growth factors.

BENEFIT 4
    Another small but very important benefit about the ketogenic diet is that when in the state of ketosis, ketones seem to blunt hunger in many people. I mean honestly, what is not better than being on a low calorie diet and not being hungry all the time like you usually are such as on a high carbohydrate diet. Since on the ketogenic diet you have to consume a lot of fat, which hold 9 calories, you are not getting much food volume. This makes not being hungry a very good thing when on the diet. When you add such thermogenics like the ECA stack and prescription appetite suppressants you won't even think about your next meal. It's kind of funny that when the Atkins' diet first came out one of the early criticisms was that the diet blunted hunger too much! What, is it mandatory to be hungry on a reduced calorie diet?

BENEFIT 5
    The last benefit has to do with the fact that a ketone body is an inefficient fuel source due to the fact that when the fatty acid is converted to a KB it contains 7 calories. This means that the normal pound of fat has less than 3,500 calories.

WHERE IS THE SCIENTIFIC DATA?
    The state of ketosis is—for the most part—controlled by insulin, glucagon, and blood glucose levels. Insulin is one of the hormones that the pancreas secretes in the presence of carbohydrates. Insulin's purpose is to keep blood glucose levels in check by acting like a driver, pushing the glucose in the blood into cells. If insulin were not to be secreted, blood glucose levels would get out of control and this would not be good for the body.

Glucagon is on the other side of the spectrum; it is insulin's antagonistic hormone. Glucagon is also secreted by the pancreas when insulin falls to quite low levels. This usually happens when a person skips meals, or does not consume adequate amounts of carbohydrates for an extended period of time. When this happens, glucagon is secreted by the pancreas to break down stored glycogen in the liver into a more usable form, glucose. But what happens if this continues and liver glycogen runs out? This is where the metabolic state of ketosis comes in, because the pancreas can also start breaking down free fatty acids into a usable energy substrate, also known as ketones, or ketone bodies.

Edit:
    This just gives the basics of how the Ketogenic Diet works about converting your new energies. Gaining muscle, losing weight, et cetera. Better? Satisfied? I can pump more out, but many seem to demand evidence from this website, so there you go.
  • BritDillinger
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

Taking a snippet:

Interesting. Please explain fructolysis and insulin's role, or lack thereof, in this process. You know, since fructose is a carb.

Here, from bodybuilding.com: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keto.htm

I will copy/paste most of the page for you. Read the entire page then if these don’t answer your questions.

BENEFIT 1
    The main benefit being that it increases the body's ability to utilize fats for fuel, which gets very lazy on a high carbohydrate diet. When on high carbohydrate diets the body can usually expect an energy source to keep entering the body. But in the state of ketosis the body has to become efficient at mobilizing fats as energy.

BENEFIT 2
    Ketosis has a protein sparing effect, assuming that you are consuming adequate quantities of protein and calories in the first place. Once in ketosis the body actually prefers ketones to glucose. Since the body has copious quantities of fat this means that there is no need to oxidize protein to generate glucose through gluconeogenesis.

BENEFIT 3
    Another benefit has to do with the low levels of insulin in the body, which causes greater lipolysis and free glycerol release compared to a normal diet when insulin is around 80-120. Insulin has a lipolysis blocking effect, which can inhibit the use of fatty acids as energy. Also when insulin is brought to low levels many beneficial hormones are released in the body such as growth hormone and other powerful growth factors.

BENEFIT 4
    Another small but very important benefit about the ketogenic diet is that when in the state of ketosis, ketones seem to blunt hunger in many people. I mean honestly, what is not better than being on a low calorie diet and not being hungry all the time like you usually are such as on a high carbohydrate diet. Since on the ketogenic diet you have to consume a lot of fat, which hold 9 calories, you are not getting much food volume. This makes not being hungry a very good thing when on the diet. When you add such thermogenics like the ECA stack and prescription appetite suppressants you won't even think about your next meal. It's kind of funny that when the Atkins' diet first came out one of the early criticisms was that the diet blunted hunger too much! What, is it mandatory to be hungry on a reduced calorie diet?

BENEFIT 5
    The last benefit has to do with the fact that a ketone body is an inefficient fuel source due to the fact that when the fatty acid is converted to a KB it contains 7 calories. This means that the normal pound of fat has less than 3,500 calories.

WHERE IS THE SCIENTIFIC DATA?
    The state of ketosis is—for the most part—controlled by insulin, glucagon, and blood glucose levels. Insulin is one of the hormones that the pancreas secretes in the presence of carbohydrates. Insulin's purpose is to keep blood glucose levels in check by acting like a driver, pushing the glucose in the blood into cells. If insulin were not to be secreted, blood glucose levels would get out of control and this would not be good for the body.

Glucagon is on the other side of the spectrum; it is insulin's antagonistic hormone. Glucagon is also secreted by the pancreas when insulin falls to quite low levels. This usually happens when a person skips meals, or does not consume adequate amounts of carbohydrates for an extended period of time. When this happens, glucagon is secreted by the pancreas to break down stored glycogen in the liver into a more usable form, glucose. But what happens if this continues and liver glycogen runs out? This is where the metabolic state of ketosis comes in, because the pancreas can also start breaking down free fatty acids into a usable energy substrate, also known as ketones, or ketone bodies.

Edit:
    Satisfied?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    @BritDillinger Source vetting is important ... try it some time. Then again, your pro-keto profile quote does go a long way towards explaining the slanted content of your posts.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    @BritDillinger Source vetting is important ... try it some time. Then again, your pro-keto profile quote does go a long way towards explaining the slanted content of your posts.

What he said but I was too lazy to type.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I think the problem here is the black and white way these things are looked at, and the ferocity of which the proponents of these 'diets' believe in their point. YOU MUST EAT THIS WAY!

I'm sure entering a ketogenic state has some proven benefits. I'm sure a high fat diet has some proven benefits. I'm sure a high carbohydrate diet has some proven benefits. One thing they all have in common is they create a calorie deficit which is the one single thing you need to drop body fat.

A macro range that gives a ketogenic state may be 0.0008% more optimal in fat body fat burning than another macro range, but that's pointless if you can stick with it for 2 weeks because you hate not eating carbs, or your exercise performance plummets.

I have no idea what macro range is optimal for body fat loss, and I don't really care. I do know that ANY macro range will achieve fat loss. Therefore I chose a macro range that I enjoy, can stick to, and allows me maximum exercise performance.

Again, OP, lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit. Tailor the macronutrient make-up of this deficit for personal preference, performance and sustainability.

PS.. Copy and pasting BB.com articles, especially ones that contain this, doesn't really add any gravitas to your argument.
    When you add such thermogenics like the ECA stack and prescription appetite suppressants you won't even think about your next meal
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Are there even any "scientific" papers on keto out there?? Anyone can find pro and con articles, citations etc etc They're only "correct" if one believes what they say :wink:
  • BritDillinger
    Options
    Are there even any "scientific" papers on keto out there?? Anyone can find pro and con articles, citations etc etc They're only "correct" if one believes what they say :wink:

Medical doctor:

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2011/04/14/steve-phinney-low-carb-preserves-glycogen-better-than-high-carb/
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Medical doctor:

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2011/04/14/steve-phinney-low-carb-preserves-glycogen-better-than-high-carb/

Blog/article.

If you want I'll make a mock up website, post a picture of myself, call myself a doctor, and post my opinions on the internet in about half an hour.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Medical doctor:

A doctor using anecdotes and inferences about a dog study. I'll reiterate this for you ... source vetting is important.
  • Christine_72
    Options

ceoverturf wrote: »

Medical doctor:

Blog/article.

If you want I'll make a mock up website, post a picture of myself, call myself a doctor, and post my opinions on the internet in about half an hour.

Se what I mean!? If the above article went against keto would people be so quick to dismiss it?
    Let me reiterate, i'm not a keto or low carb follower,