Clean Eating

Options
so I've heard a lot of great thing about eating clean and prepping all your meals ahead of time. Is there anyone out there eating clean and if so can you give me a crash course and enlighten me on your journey?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Washing your vegetables is sensible

But don't wash raw meat
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Also don't wash ice cream...it doesn't work
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

But don't wash raw meat

Actually, I was always taught to rinse with fresh water certain raw meat (like whole chicken breasts). That could just have been something my family made up though lol.
  • Sued0nim
    edited March 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

But don't wash raw meat

Actually, I was always taught to rinse with fresh water certain raw meat (like whole chicken breasts). That could just have been something my family made up though lol.

Yeah they used to advise it ...now they say it just spreads bacteria so don't do it

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/washing-food-does-it-promote-food-safety/washing-food
  • Aydeejai
    Aydeejai Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Lol...I have no idea what you guys are talking about...sigh. Thanks Pootler74 for attempting to answer ,y question. For the record, "clean eating" refers to choosing all the right foods to eat but also avoiding all junk and processed foods. Geesh!

Found a eating clean for dummies cheat sheet that seems helpful...
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Aydeejai wrote: »
    Lol...I have no idea what you guys are talking about...sigh. Thanks Pootler74 for attempting to answer ,y question. For the record, "clean eating" refers to choosing all the right foods to eat but also avoiding all junk and processed foods. Geesh!

Found a eating clean for dummies cheat sheet that seems helpful...

There are no 'all right foods' to eat - which is the problem we come up against time after time when people talk about 'clean eating' because what they mean always depends on their interpretation

there are no good foods / bad foods

eat generally healthily - hit your protein and fat macros, eat lots of lovely vitamins in vegetables, fruit and eat foods you love
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

But don't wash raw meat

Yeah they used to advise it ...now they say it just spreads bacteria so don't do it

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/washing-food-does-it-promote-food-safety/washing-food

Thanks for that link I always wash roasts before cooking them. Not sure why, just because it says so in my cook book. I can't say I've ever questioned it before. And dear god it's a pain too- washing the sink all clean, then washing all the counters and sink again. Thanks for taking away a painful step.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Clean eating restricts a whole heap of food that isn't going to harm you or your weight loss if eaten as part of a balanced diet (ie staying within your allotted calories and meeting your nutritional needs in terms of micros and macros). If you're prepared to go without that stuff that is entirely up to you, but it really isn't necessary.

I'm off to get some gelato.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I tried to 'eat clean' at the advice of the PT at my gym. There is only so much root veg and roast chicken a girl can eat!!

Counting calories and being sensible about the 'treats' makes much more sense. :)
  • Aydeejai
    Options
    I agree. After researching it, I don't think it's for me...
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Define "clean"

Extra Credit: Justify your answer.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I agree. After researching it, I don't think it's for me...

The best thing I ever did for my weight loss was to chuck all rules and regulations out the window. I focused strictly on calories and the weight started coming off. :)

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Honestly I gained weight on, "clean eating," because I was probably eating close to 3000 calories a day.

Right now the majority of my calories are, "clean eating," only because I'm training for a half marathon here soon and when I eat processed food I seem to not run as far for as long. But as soon as this half is done I plan on eating an entire thing of raw cookie dough (still raw food diet though right?)
  • Aydeejai
    Options
    Cool thanks maidentl. That is my main focus now.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For the record, "clean eating" refers to choosing all the right foods to eat but also avoiding all junk and processed foods.

The problem is that people use "clean" to refer to totally different ways of eating or different rules, and seem to define even "processed" and "junk" quite differently.

For example, I try to eat really healthy and eat lots of veggies and cook a lot of my meals from whole foods (and when I buy meals they are basically similar to those I'd make at home, with similar ingredients and so on). So as a result I've had people tell me they consider me a "clean" eater. But I also enjoy baking for holidays and eat homemade pie and cookies on occasion (not all that often) and also enjoy a bit of ice cream or chocolate if it fits in my day after getting in a nutrient-dense diet. And I actively seek out certain foods that I think are processed under any reasonable definition (like smoked salmon and greek yogurt and protein powder and some whole grains like oatmeal and bagged greens and frozen things like fish) to include in my diet because I think they make it healthier. I'd assume this made me not a "clean" eater, except most or all of the self-proclaimed "clean" eaters have as many deviations or more, and just claim that those aren't really processed foods, although of course they are.

I find this confusing.

So I am in favor of healthy eating and interested in a discussion of how to improve one's diet to be more nutritious (and am always interested in good ideas about that), but I really don't get the "clean" thing at all.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Also don't wash ice cream...it doesn't work

lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I think most people would benefit from cleaning up their diet. But I doubt there is any advantage to eating 100% "clean". Focusing on balance seems more reasonable to me.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    so I've heard a lot of great thing about eating clean and prepping all your meals ahead of time. Is there anyone out there eating clean and if so can you give me a crash course and enlighten me on your journey?

Can you define what your version of clean eating is?
  • beth557755
    beth557755 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feel fuller and can it more food by eating "clean". That to me is eating whole foods like whole grains, veggies, fruit etc. basically unprocessed food. I do buy store bought hummus. I'm not all militant about it, but I feel better and am full so I am not craving junk food. I guess I could eat pop tarts and microwave meals and still hit my calorie goals and lose weight, but I prefer the good stuff for my body because I want to lose and keep the weight off so changing the foods I eat and tastebuds to those I think will help me in the long run because it will be my new "base" foods. It is actually working because as a treat, I tried to have some candy and it was way too sweet for me and I'm a former candyholic.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I love how the clean eating proponents presume everyone else always eat boxed food all the time.

There's another poster who presumes no one else ever eats fresh food except people who eat a certain way. It's mind-boggling.

I scratch cook all the time. My other meals? Gasp! Packaged Greek yogurt and cottage cheese with either fresh or frozen fruit and vegetables. Unless I eat... GASP! canned!!!! pumpkin puree with them.

And I'm going to go enjoy a store bought chocolate covered macaroon right now.

Best of all worlds, methinks.