Clean Eating

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    beth557755 wrote: »
    I feel fuller and can it more food by eating "clean". That to me is eating whole foods like whole grains, veggies, fruit etc. basically unprocessed food.

How are whole grains not processed?

I'd actually be interested in a response to my comment upthread, not that I'm optimistic I'll get one or an actual discussion.
    I guess I could eat pop tarts and microwave meals and still hit my calorie goals and lose weight, but I prefer the good stuff for my body because I want to lose and keep the weight off so changing the foods I eat and tastebuds to those I think will help me in the long run because it will be my new "base" foods.

Tons of "non clean" foods are reasonably considered "good stuff" (again, see my post above) and go well beyond the proverbial pop tarts. Also, although I have zero interest in eating them, not cutting pop tarts out of one's diet doesn't mean they eat a diet made up of pop tarts.

Also, I make myself microwave meals for lunch all the time (in that I make the meal from whole foods and put it in tupperware to bring to work). Similarly, I can buy a whole range of reheatable options, some of which claim to be "clean" (company marketing based on that), and many of which are store-bought but seem to have decent ingredients. I don't buy them since I prefer to cook (or just buy food I like for lunch, again with ingredients similar to what I'd use, so I'm not sure why that makes it "unclean"), but choosing a healthy microwave meal might be a nutritious option for someone. Isn't whether a meal heated in the microwave is healthy or not depend on what's actually in it, not that it's in a form to be reheated?
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I thought clean eating meant you applied the 3 second rule to any food you dropped on the ground ? Dang
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    I thought clean eating meant you applied the 3 second rule to any food you dropped on the ground ? Dang

Clean eating is when I bother to wash my hands after playing with my cat prior to eating food.
  • ana3067
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I love how the clean eating proponents presume everyone else always eat boxed food all the time.

There's another poster who presumes no one else ever eats fresh food except people who eat a certain way. It's mind-boggling.

I scratch cook all the time. My other meals? Gasp! Packaged Greek yogurt and cottage cheese with either fresh or frozen fruit and vegetables. Unless I eat... GASP! canned!!!! pumpkin puree with them.

And I'm going to go enjoy a store bought chocolate covered macaroon right now.

Best of all worlds, methinks.

All the food I ate today that comes in a bag, container, or carton:

279u6l9johjw.png

Guess I ate bad :(

(eta cherry tomatoes in a plastic tub, carrots in a pre-wrapped plastic bag,PB cookies made with a tub of PB)

and apparently you'll have to pry cheese from my cold, dead hands before I give that up lol.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Lemurcat: I think I eat similar to how you describe...feels clean to me. Cook most things from scratch, try to focus on vegetables, lean proteins, fruits, healthy fats for the vast majority of my diet. As a girl raised on hamburger helper and the like, my current diet is much cleaner! I also will indulge in the occasional treat if my calorie budget allows and a craving is present.
  • ana3067
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Aydeejai wrote: »
    Lol...I have no idea what you guys are talking about...sigh. Thanks Pootler74 for attempting to answer ,y question. For the record, "clean eating" refers to choosing all the right foods to eat but also avoiding all junk and processed foods. Geesh!

Found a eating clean for dummies cheat sheet that seems helpful...

There are no 'all right foods' to eat - which is the problem we come up against time after time when people talk about 'clean eating' because what they mean always depends on their interpretation

there are no good foods / bad foods

eat generally healthily - hit your protein and fat macros, eat lots of lovely vitamins in vegetables, fruit and eat foods you love

thiis.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Clean eating is when I bother to wash my hands after playing with my cat prior to eating food.

We're meant to do that?? Yup, defs not a clean eater.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Heh--brief change of avatar, so you can see there's no clean eating at my house. (Not actually normal, FTR, cupboard has been fixed.)

Edit: Argh, for some reason it won't let me change now. All I can say is that it's in my photos.
  • ana3067
    Options
    it's caaatday caaatday gotta get down on caaatday
    tumblr_masy6sZSPV1rxye79o1_500.jpg
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Proof that clean eating can have different meanings and yet still be clean eating.
  • ana3067
    Options

Proof that clean eating can have different meanings and yet still be clean eating.

uh..........................................
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Heh--brief change of avatar, so you can see there's no clean eating at my house. (Not actually normal, FTR, cupboard has been fixed.)

Edit: Argh, for some reason it won't let me change now. All I can say is that it's in my photos.

Brilliant :)

This one shows not only one of my cats on the bench (how else is she meant to watch her fish??), but on the bench immediately after getting home from having hyperthyroid treatment, meaning she was radioactive.

12m0btfytdlm.jpg
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Aydeejai wrote: »
    I agree. After researching it, I don't think it's for me...

The best thing I ever did for my weight loss was to chuck all rules and regulations out the window. I focused strictly on calories and the weight started coming off. :)

Couldn't agree more
  • beth557755
    beth557755 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    beth557755 wrote: »
    I feel fuller and can it more food by eating "clean". That to me is eating whole foods like whole grains, veggies, fruit etc. basically unprocessed food.

I'd actually be interested in a response to my comment upthread, not that I'm optimistic I'll get one or an actual discussion.
    I guess I could eat pop tarts and microwave meals and still hit my calorie goals and lose weight, but I prefer the good stuff for my body because I want to lose and keep the weight off so changing the foods I eat and tastebuds to those I think will help me in the long run because it will be my new "base" foods.

Tons of "non clean" foods are reasonably considered "good stuff" (again, see my post above) and go well beyond the proverbial pop tarts. Also, although I have zero interest in eating them, not cutting pop tarts out of one's diet doesn't mean they eat a diet made up of pop tarts.

Also, I make myself microwave meals for lunch all the time (in that I make the meal from whole foods and put it in tupperware to bring to work). Similarly, I can buy a whole range of reheatable options, some of which claim to be "clean" (company marketing based on that), and many of which are store-bought but seem to have decent ingredients. I don't buy them since I prefer to cook (or just buy food I like for lunch, again with ingredients similar to what I'd use, so I'm not sure why that makes it "unclean"), but choosing a healthy microwave meal might be a nutritious option for someone. Isn't whether a meal heated in the microwave is healthy or not depend on what's actually in it, not that it's in a form to be reheated?

Wow you are taking this way too seriously. I am by no means one of those militant people on "clean" foods. I was referencing me with the pop tarts and microwavable food which I have lived off of for years and years, the unhealthy meals until they cut gallbladder out. I primarily ate junk pure junk. So me switching things up to actually cooking stuff and making quinoa, millet, buckwheat, amaranth, and oatmeal etc. as a unprocessed or rather if you want to get all technical, minimally processed food instead of the highly processed carbs like bread, pasta, etc is what I found to be better for me. In my experience making that stuff with veggies, fruit, healthy fats, and lean meats fills me up more than a tiny microwavable meal or something I can grab ready made at the store with unhealthy ingredients. It is way more food on my plate. I am fuller longer leading me to not have snack between meals and I feel better. I was just sharing my experience and made a suggestion hoping to help. In no way was it an attack or condemning someone else's choice in how they choose to spend their calories. I don't care what you do or what you eat. Your diet or anyone else's diet is none of my business. Thus, I am holding no pitchfork. I simply looked at the topic and realized that I have some experience with "clean" eating and shared hoping to help someone who was soliciting advice on the subject.
  • ana3067
    Options
    aw, my cat knows better and just takes up the couch.
    10991183_10153041659576427_1239422921449610489_n.jpg?oh=c825a44f0093799a54ff038eec8ea8b4&oe=55B2E057

all the couches, actually.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    as soon as this half is done I plan on eating an entire thing of raw cookie dough (still raw food diet though right?)
    LOL!

lemurcat wrote:
    Um, because they're not?
    Because the only thing done to (most of) them between the field and your bowl is basically cleaning, some drying.
    ana3067 wrote:
    tumblr_masy6sZSPV1rxye79o1_500.jpg
    For a looong time, I have called the position the cat is in the "catloaf".
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    It is simple a choice people make based on what they believe is better for their body. Non-biased research (meaning not paid for by the book, program, meal supplement, etc company making money off its' marketing) has no conclusive evidence it improves health by large measures. Some people swear they feel better eating more wholesome, so if you try it and that works...continue.

I typed this drinking a Pepsi.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    It is simple a choice people make based on what they believe is better for their body. Non-biased research (meaning not paid for by the book, program, meal supplement, etc company making money off its' marketing) has no conclusive evidence it improves health by large measures. Some people swear they feel better eating more wholesome, so if you try it and that works...continue.

I typed this drinking a Pepsi.

I read it while drinking a Coke Zero. :tongue:

• beth557755
    beth557755 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's basically calories in calories out and everything tolerable in moderation. If you happen to have a stomach of steel when it comes to food, then you're golden. There are all kinds methods and ways of eating claiming to be the "optimal" diet. That is how they sell books and make money. It really goes back to your basic food groups. If you have food allergies or intolerances like I do, then it actually makes a real difference to not buy a lot of packaged food because then you are not ingesting the crap you aren't suppose to eat and is hindering weight loss. Thus, truly feeling better. Plus My suggested calorie intake is 1200, so I don't have many calories to play with, so I have to be smart with what foods I pick and what will give me the most bang for my buck so to speak in keeping me full and satisfied so I am not starving while I try to lose weight.