Do you have cake on your birthday

Options

Replies

• bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    absolutely have the cake if you want it. MFP is great because of the flexibility. I find if I deprive myself of something like birthday cake I will overindulge in something else even worse somewhere down the line.

Happy Birthday to YOU!!!!!!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    rebasue55 wrote: »
    Sunday is my birthday and I've been debating whether I should have a piece of cake with everyone. I think...it's my bday, I deserve it. But on the otherhand are all the calories worth the 2 minutes of delicious cake? I'm thinking no.

What do you do?

We're buying my friend who is on a diet like all of us an edible arrangement and I think it's just as fun and yummy as a cake!

man, I would be so upset if my friends did that to me…..

Really? I would think it was really nice of my friends to get me something like that for my birthday. Of course, I love fruit, especially if it's covered in chocolate. I actually like just about anything as long as it's covered in chocolate.

• Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! And to make it even better I savor each bite as if it were the last piece of cake I'd ever have. ;)
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me nostalgic for the nutella-swirled cheesecake with shortbread crust that my sister made me for my birthday last month. /drool.

(of course, I have just a hair of a hangover and that makes cake and cheesecake sound even better than usual)
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I didn't have cake, but I am following a low carb life style plan and cake would just make the next couple days miserable with cravings. Maybe this year I'll have a piece since I will be at my goal weight, but I have until August to decide that
  • nrogersfitandfab
    nrogersfitandfab Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes! Have the cake! Celebrate YOU!! and choosing cake one day will not ruin your progress! If you can make it so there are no leftovers or send them home with someone else it might be easier the day after the birthday party. The next day get back to your good eating and exercise!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I would hate to have an Edible Arrangement instead of cake on my birthday.

I love fruit and did receive two while I was in the hospital recently, but I also got donut holes and all sorts of good sweets.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    eat whatever the hell you want for your birthday

i eat whatever i want for my birthday weekend and it is amazing (*)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Of course! My husband makes a great chocolate cheesecake. No way am I passing that up. Why would I?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    rebasue55 wrote: »
    Sunday is my birthday and I've been debating whether I should have a piece of cake with everyone. I think...it's my bday, I deserve it. But on the otherhand are all the calories worth the 2 minutes of delicious cake? I'm thinking no.

What do you do?

We're buying my friend who is on a diet like all of us an edible arrangement and I think it's just as fun and yummy as a cake!

man, I would be so upset if my friends did that to me…..

Really? I would think it was really nice of my friends to get me something like that for my birthday. Of course, I love fruit, especially if it's covered in chocolate. I actually like just about anything as long as it's covered in chocolate.

yes, if I was expecting an ice cream cake and they showed up with strawberries covered in chocolate I would be extremely upset...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't eat cake for my birthday.

Cheescake or gluten free pie?

Oh yes. Even when I was a kid, I asked my mother to make one of those for my birthday. I never liked cake much. Not a fan of frosting.
  • artlover47
    artlover47 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My birthday was the 24th, and my daughter turned 2 the next day. I did not eat the cake I made for her. For me, it was not worth the calories because I really want to hurry up and reach my goal. 400 calories or even 200 would not fit in my daily allowance since I am short, and I didn't want to spend that much of my allowance on cake and be hungry later. I chose to give myself a treat that was a bit healthier and way lower in calories...graham crackers and peanut butter. It was enough to satisfy my sweet tooth and I felt good about it. But as other posts mention, do whatever makes you feel good on your birthday. If you eat some dessert, have a great time and savor it. But if you decide that you'd rather skip it, passing up the cake is not that difficult.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Ohh, I wont knock those who prefer fruit for their bday instead of a cake or some other special treat...

All I know is, if my friends ever gave me fruit for my birthday instead of a cake or ice cream or something that actually is a special treat for what to me is a special day... I would be so full of sadness! Not to mention, Id wonder if they think so little of my willpower / ability to succeed to decide I'm better off not having any cake at all / dont deserve any.

Oh man....that is such a sad thought!!!! Im going to look at the delicious cake pictures again now..LoL
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! On my kids birthdays too :)
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    On my last birthday I ate a GIGANTIC piece of cheesecake, it was one of the best things I've ever eaten and I have no regrets
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    artlover47 wrote: »
    My birthday was the 24th, and my daughter turned 2 the next day. I did not eat the cake I made for her. For me, it was not worth the calories because I really want to hurry up and reach my goal. 400 calories or even 200 would not fit in my daily allowance since I am short, and I didn't want to spend that much of my allowance on cake and be hungry later. I chose to give myself a treat that was a bit healthier and way lower in calories...graham crackers and peanut butter. It was enough to satisfy my sweet tooth and I felt good about it. But as other posts mention, do whatever makes you feel good on your birthday. If you eat some dessert, have a great time and savor it. But if you decide that you'd rather skip it, passing up the cake is not that difficult.

Graham crackers and peanut butter are an interesting choice, I might try it....but how did you mange to not eat 200 calories of that since you said you had no room for even 200 calories of cake since you're short? Last time I checked 15g of peanut butter is 100 cals (I eat it every single day) and graham crackers aren't exactly the "cheapest" on calories either...I think I would have just ate the cake.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    artlover47 wrote: »

I am sorry but going over by 400 calories on your daughter's birthday is not going to ruin your progress. It is one day out of 365….or .00225% of the year….
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    My birthday is this Thursday. I plan on working out in the morning. Dieting during the day as usual. But having a good dinner. Something I wouldn't normally eat. I will make sure I stay within my calorie limit, but I will splurge a bit. That is my version of cake. It really depends on you though.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    RJ0274 wrote: »
    I had sugar free cupcakes for my birthday on Wednesday (great). Scraped most of the icing off, but yes! Go for it! Enjoy!

I'm having trouble reconciling all of these four statements. Specifically, I'm struggling with the last two vs the first two.