ana3067 wrote: »
    Don't input it from the app.

And that screencap shows 2lbs/week

I'm sorry?
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    don't listen to MFP. Google the IIFYM TDEE calculator, figure out your TDEE. subtract 500 cals, that's how much you should eat to lose 1 pound per week. 1200 is way too little for you.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Well, OP, regardless of why MFP is giving us these numbers, you should be able to eat more than 1200. I know I did when I first started and I had very similar stats starting out. Raise it up for a while and see what happens after a few weeks.
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1400 calories and believe me, I wouldn't go any lower. It's tough to get enough protein and nutrients the lower you go and I don't want to take supplements. I eat lots of fruit and veggies and usually lean meats/fish/chicken, I exercise a lot so I can eat more than 1400 and that works well. I have type 2 diabetes and I control mine very well with exercise and diet. No medication and my levels are normal. I lost 65 pounds on 1700 calories but now I'm finding I needed to lower my calorie intake a bit.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Don't input it from the app.

And that screencap shows 2lbs/week

I'm sorry?

Your goal is set to 2lb/week. Not 1lb/week. Adjust and recalculate.
  • ana3067
    Options
    don't listen to MFP. Google the IIFYM TDEE calculator, figure out your TDEE. subtract 500 cals, that's how much you should eat to lose 1 pound per week. 1200 is way too little for you.

Only if you include your exercise in that or choose sedentary. TDEE and MFP neat approach are two different things.
  • StarlightAria
    StarlightAria Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Well, OP, regardless of why MFP is giving us these numbers, you should be able to eat more than 1200. I know I did when I first started and I had very similar stats starting out. Raise it up for a while and see what happens after a few weeks.

I think I'm going to go for the 1.5 and around 1500 Calorie diet. It seems more sustainable and it's only .5 less per week. I think I can live with that.
  • ana3067
    Options
    smarie6193 wrote: »
    Cut out all processed foods... eat as much fruits and fresh veggies as possible. If you can't pronounce the ingredients stay away...

13650180391932565339.GIF
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    smarie6193 wrote: »
    Cut out all processed foods... eat as much fruits and fresh veggies as possible. If you can't pronounce the ingredients stay away...

I can't pronounce:
    Thiamine Mononitrate
    Phytonadione
    d-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate
    Cyanocobalamin
    Cholecalciferol

Guess what, they are all vitamins. To be exact:
    Vitamin B1
    Vitamin K
    Vitamin E
    Vitamin B12
    Vitamin D3

Yep, it would be so wise to avoid those just because I can't pronounce them. :eyeroll:

**Sorry if there are a few spelling errors in the Vitamin names. I'm trying to read the tiny print on my multivitamin bottle.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think I'm going to go for the 1.5 and around 1500 Calorie diet. It seems more sustainable and it's only .5 less per week. I think I can live with that.

I think you'll be happier. It doesn't seem like that much more but it goes a long way.

• ana3067
    Options

Good idea. And if you are actually lightly active (or logging accurately enough) then you may still lose more than 1.5lb/week. Remember to eat back at least half of any logged exercise calories as well or you'll just be right back where you started here
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I'm doing 1500 now (though I average 1600 daily net by weeks end). It feels good. I can get full, and eat dessert every night.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hi guys. I'm female, 24, 5"1' and 215 lbs. sigh. My goal weight is about 140, where I was in high school. I have insulin resistance caused by PCOS, and I am on metformin.

That all out of the way, I am finding 1200 calories really difficult to maintain. It doesn't fill me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I am having a lot of trouble restricting due to stress/anxiety/depression issues that are undiagnosed... I just eat. And when I realize what I've done I get more upset.

I feel out of control. I feel like I have no control over my body and my life.

I've thought about meal replacement shakes because lunch seems to be a big problem with me because I have access to so much junk at work.

I need help guys, anything you have to offer would be fantastic because I feel like I'm in way over my head. My doctor says I'm on my way to diabetes if I don't lose weight, and I really don't want that.

you might be able to eat more than that...I know of a success thread from a lady who eats more than that and is also short. Give me a minute to find it.

edit: Here it is -
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1032620/410-and-eats-2000-calories-a-day-eeegads-pics/p1
  • StarlightAria
    Options
    hi guys. I'm female, 24, 5"1' and 215 lbs. sigh. My goal weight is about 140, where I was in high school. I have insulin resistance caused by PCOS, and I am on metformin.

That all out of the way, I am finding 1200 calories really difficult to maintain. It doesn't fill me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I am having a lot of trouble restricting due to stress/anxiety/depression issues that are undiagnosed... I just eat. And when I realize what I've done I get more upset.

I've thought about meal replacement shakes because lunch seems to be a big problem with me because I have access to so much junk at work.

I need help guys, anything you have to offer would be fantastic because I feel like I'm in way over my head. My doctor says I'm on my way to diabetes if I don't lose weight, and I really don't want that.

you might be able to eat more than that...I know of a success thread from a lady who eats more than that and is also short. Give me a minute to find it.
    Thanks I appreciate it
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I think this is sensible. I'm 5'3 but older than you, so had similar stats when I started.

I found that I lost faster than MFP predicted even when I went with 1.5 lbs/week. The most important thing if you have a lot to lose is being able to happily stick with it without feeling deprived. As you go on it may get easier as you start getting used to fewer calories and adjusting your food choices, but might as well give yourself a more realistic--for you--start, and not create an unnecessary struggle. Good luck!
  • StarlightAria
    Options
    You guys are so awesome why didn't I ask for help sooner?
  • ana3067
    Options

edit: Here it is -
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1032620/410-and-eats-2000-calories-a-day-eeegads-pics/p1

Not surprising. Activity level and weight play a much larger role than height.
  • Sramsey2028
    Options
    I would stick it to your 1 lb a week weight loss goal. Putting you around the 1800 calorie goal. Pack your diet completely FULL of good nutriends. I have been buying to precooked rotisserie chicken from sams club (most grocery stores carry them), refrigerate it and the portion it out. The chicken in those rotisseries are amazingly flavorful and great to ad into ANYTHING. You can have a chicken for dinner, lunch, have a chicken in a wrap, with salads, diced up mixed with a baked potato and some bbq sauce. Make sure you LIKE what you are eating. If you dont you wont be able to stick with it. My first week I had my goal set to the 1 lb per week goal around 1970 (I know thats alot, based on current weight and height). I did my best to stay about 200 lower than that, close to 1750. Experiment with diff foods putting them in and seeing how each one affects your numbers. Because everything affects you differently. IF you can handle salads, get you some romain, fresh spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, anything you can put on a salad. (You can PACK a salad completely full of foods a PLATE full and still be less calories than most other lunches). Pack your proteins and carbs (IMO). Good carbs are great for you so dont try to neglect them. I have yoyod for several years, just now doing this again with a 7 lb weight loss my first week (which may be a fluke Im yet to believe it). But this is just my advise with how to slowly eat less. Hope this helps.