1200 is really difficult

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    My meds right now PREVENT me from eating too much and KILL my appetite.....

I cant WAIT to eat FOOD again..... You guys are SO LUCKY to be healthy and to be able to eat in a healthy range.....

Folks killing your self at 1200.... I dont get how you do it.... I feel like crap right now......

Dont mess with your health....rejoice in living because it could all change, one day one moment in time could alter your health, then you end up like me, on a life time of regimented pills that mess with your body, your appetite, your hair, your hormones....

Take care of your selves, take your weigh loss slow and serious, dont rush things. Give yourselves the biggest defecit you can, not the smallest. Eat well when you can, but eat a pop tart or donut when you want and dont beat yourself up for it. Life is too short.

It just kills me with all this debating. You guys are so lucky and you dont even know it. To walk around healhty and to function and to have the ability to tinker with your calories as you want. I dont have that. I have a brain injury and when my meds get adjusted it kills my apetite and I go through weeks or months at a time where I can barely eat or I over eat it sucks.

You are so lucky and you are killing it by wasting your time trying to speed ball weight loss and feeling hungry on 1200 when you could have a slower effect and be happier with a few hundred more calories.

Be serious here OP.

We had a rational discussion and the OP decided on a higher number. :huh:

• StarlightAria
    StarlightAria Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I cant WAIT to eat FOOD again..... You guys are SO LUCKY to be healthy and to be able to eat in a healthy range.....

Folks killing your self at 1200.... I dont get how you do it.... I feel like crap right now......

Dont mess with your health....rejoice in living because it could all change, one day one moment in time could alter your health, then you end up like me, on a life time of regimented pills that mess with your body, your appetite, your hair, your hormones....

Take care of your selves, take your weigh loss slow and serious, dont rush things. Give yourselves the biggest defecit you can, not the smallest. Eat well when you can, but eat a pop tart or donut when you want and dont beat yourself up for it. Life is too short.

It just kills me with all this debating. You guys are so lucky and you dont even know it. To walk around healhty and to function and to have the ability to tinker with your calories as you want. I dont have that. I have a brain injury and when my meds get adjusted it kills my apetite and I go through weeks or months at a time where I can barely eat or I over eat it sucks.

You are so lucky and you are killing it by wasting your time trying to speed ball weight loss and feeling hungry on 1200 when you could have a slower effect and be happier with a few hundred more calories.

Be serious here OP.

I am sorry for your health struggles. Thank you for weighing in on my situation. However, please don't make me feel bad about my struggles. I have my own health problems.
  • gwenpally
    gwenpally Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try to cut down on your starchy carbs - potatoes, chips (fries), white rice, white bread, etc.

I like brown rice, sweet potato and butternut squash (amazing, more like treat food) and veggies like carrots, parsnips (also amazing, especially roasted) and turnip are good for filling up your plate more than straight carbs. Get your protein in good measure as well to fill you up.

Drink LOTS of water.

Personally, I don't count my exercise so I hope that moving around has me in a deficit. Try more exercise, even if you have to up your calories a bit but don't eat more just because you've done some exercise.

Son't get disheartened if you don't see immediate results, it takes time. If you loose weight too quickly, you'll just put it back on. I think with your condition you probably find it harder but your symptoms might alleviate a bit if you lost some weight. Keep at it and stay positive, you'll get there :)
  • StarlightAria
    Options
    I would stick it to your 1 lb a week weight loss goal. Putting you around the 1800 calorie goal. Pack your diet completely FULL of good nutriends. I have been buying to precooked rotisserie chicken from sams club (most grocery stores carry them), refrigerate it and the portion it out. The chicken in those rotisseries are amazingly flavorful and great to ad into ANYTHING.
    I really like this idea! Thank you!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I have to make this short. I am 6’ and was 405. I ate at a low range but did a lot of research / planning on devising meals that were very nutritious and filling. I really was satisfied.

Below are some samples of the low calories meals I ate (and continue to eat). I weigh everything. Portion control was very important to me. I always saved a small amount of calories for a night time snack (popcorn, yogurt etc). Just some ideas -

MealSamples_border_zps65f882d4.jpg

Breakfast%20Samples_under250_zps9pikccgd.jpg

Hope everything works out for you.

73641431.png

• StarlightAria
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    I have to make this short. I am 6’ and was 405. I ate at a low range but did a lot of research / planning on devising meals that were very nutritious and filling. I really was satisfied.

Below are some samples of the low calories meals I ate (and continue to eat). I weigh everything. Portion control was very important to me. I always saved a small amount of calories for a night time snack (popcorn, yogurt etc). Just some ideas -

MealSamples_border_zps65f882d4.jpg

Breakfast%20Samples_under250_zps9pikccgd.jpg

Hope everything works out for you.

73641431.png

Thank you and congrats on your hard work!
  • StarlightAria
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Be serious here OP.

What do you mean exactly? I altered my goal to 1.5lbs lost per week, and it gave me 1530 which is more sustainable to me. What's not rational about that?
  • StarlightAria
    Options

Be serious here OP.

I am sorry for your health struggles. Thank you for weighing in on my situation. However, please don't make me feel bad about my struggles. I have my own health problems.

It wasnt intended that way

The point is you have a healthy body, PCOS and all

treat it as such, dont torture yourself any further

before my brain injury I had a thyroid condition, still do which affected me similair to how people are affected by PCOS

You can still lose with other methods more comfortable than 1200

Thank you, I believe that is what I have decided upon. I really hope you can manage your situation I couldn't even imagine.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Be serious here OP.

What do you mean exactly? I altered my goal to 1.5lbs lost per week, and it gave me 1530 which is more sustainable to me. What's not rational about that?

What do you mean, what do I mean? Exactly what I said. We were accused of debating and I said that we all had a rational discussion and you decided to eat more. There's no hidden meaning.
  • StarlightAria
    Options

Be serious here OP.

What do you mean, what do I mean? Exactly what I said. We were accused of debating and I said that we all had a rational discussion and you decided to eat more. There's no hidden meaning.

Oh okay I though that you meant what I decided upon wasn't rational when you meant that we had a rational discussion and not a debate. My misunderstanding. I'm sorry.
  • StarlightAria
    Options
    I'm on 1400 calories and believe me, I wouldn't go any lower. It's tough to get enough protein and nutrients the lower you go and I don't want to take supplements. I eat lots of fruit and veggies and usually lean meats/fish/chicken, I exercise a lot so I can eat more than 1400 and that works well. I have type 2 diabetes and I control mine very well with exercise and diet. No medication and my levels are normal. I lost 65 pounds on 1700 calories but now I'm finding I needed to lower my calorie intake a bit.
    65 is amazing. Thanks for your input.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1,200 calorie / day diet, too, and I feel your pain. One thing that's really helped me is walking for 30+ minutes. The longer I walk, the more calories I earn. If you have access to a treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical machine, etc, it's really helpful to watch TV while exercising (it makes you forget you're exercising). And the endorphins released by the exercise make you feel great (I can't emphasize enough the positive affect this has on one's state of mind) . If 1,200 is too low, then up your calorie count but eat lean meat and good vegetables. In my humble opinion, the type of food you eat is more important than keeping calories so low. I wish you all the best!

wuhwhat.gif
  • _madshope
    _madshope Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    IIFYM [If It Fits Your Macros] Reverse Dieting. Check it out. It really can be a life saver
  • dmelissa1991
    dmelissa1991 Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I also have a calorie limit of 1200 and I'm currently 5'5 and 214. If you decide to stick to your weekly weight loss goal & calorie intake limit, then I'll give you some tips that help make the change easier for me.

First, I would suggest that you try not to focus so much on the fact that your trying to lose weight. What I mean by that is...throughout your day (at work, at home, at the gym, at the store..where ever) think about the moment that you're in at the time, not "Omg, I'm on a diet". That gets your mind off the fact that you're even hungry. Focusing on the fact that you're trying to lose weight all day may make your journey more misreable. Instead, train yourself to think about your "food & diet life" when it's time to prepare &/or eat. Remember, health & weight loss is a lifestyle not a quick fix. So if you really want to meet your goal, you have to pretend like the goal is not even there (if that makes any sense).

I'd also suggest drinking more water throughout the day which might help satifsfy your hunger. I carry my water in a 2.2L water bottle & have it with me almost everywhere that I go. I've found that a person is more likely to drink water when it's sitting in front of them as opposed to having to get up & find it or fix it. I freeze my water over night & it thaws & stays cold throughout the day which makes me want to drink it more often.

You can also try eating fruit or low calorie snacks throughout the day to curb your appetite. I recommend Fiber One 90 calorie brownies & chocolate chip cookie bars They're awesome (especially after letting them warm for a few seconds in the microwave).

With the calorie limit, be sure not to starve yourself. Just make healthier food choices. Remember to incorporate protein, fiber, veggies good carbs & WATER into your diet. Everything else is really unnecessary if you really think about it. Now, I do not deprive myself of cookies or pizza or ice cream; however, I do eat it in moderation...as a treat not a meal (maybe a small something once a week).

What I've had to learn is...just because I'm not full, doesn't mean I'm hungry.

Miss lady, you are very capable of doing anything you put your mind to! Just stay focused, stay consistent & keep your eyes on the prize!

We're in this together!

Best of luck to you!

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I am also on 1200 cals per day for a 1 lb loss per week - in 50, 5'4" and aim for a total 20-25 lb loss. I'm down about 13 lbs, so my approach following MFP has been good (for me). I also exercise every day - sometimes it's just a hike for 50 min with dog, sometimes a tough series of HIIT with additional cardio, sometimes it's 30 min on the elliptical as I watch the news. The exercise is *really* important to me, because I eat back some of those calories and I'm immensely more comfortable.

Admittedly, it was tough of the first weeks but then I got used to the feeling of not being "really full". Drinking lots of water before meals helps. Having tea helps me wait until my next meal
    if I want a snack. Discipline increases as you see (and become proud of) progress.

We are all different, but I believe that many of us need to shift our notion of satiety. Once you get going, it will likely get easier for you.

Alternatively, as many have suggested, slow down your projected loss and eat more. That's better than giving up! Courage!!!
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I also have a calorie limit of 1200 and I'm currently 5'5 and 214. If you decide to stick to your weekly weight loss goal & calorie intake limit, then I'll give you some tips that help make the change easier for me.

First, I would suggest that you try not to focus so much on the fact that your trying to lose weight. What I mean by that is...throughout your day (at work, at home, at the gym, at the store..where ever) think about the moment that you're in at the time, not "Omg, I'm on a diet". That gets your mind off the fact that you're even hungry. Focusing on the fact that you're trying to lose weight all day may make your journey more misreable. Instead, train yourself to think about your "food & diet life" when it's time to prepare &/or eat. Remember, health & weight loss is a lifestyle not a quick fix. So if you really want to meet your goal, you have to pretend like the goal is not even there (if that makes any sense).

I'd also suggest drinking more water throughout the day which might help satifsfy your hunger. I carry my water in a 2.2L water bottle & have it with me almost everywhere that I go. I've found that a person is more likely to drink water when it's sitting in front of them as opposed to having to get up & find it or fix it. I freeze my water over night & it thaws & stays cold throughout the day which makes me want to drink it more often.

You can also try eating fruit or low calorie snacks throughout the day to curb your appetite. I recommend Fiber One 90 calorie brownies & chocolate chip cookie bars They're awesome (especially after letting them warm for a few seconds in the microwave).

With the calorie limit, be sure not to starve yourself. Just make healthier food choices. Remember to incorporate protein, fiber, veggies good carbs & WATER into your diet. Everything else is really unnecessary if you really think about it. Now, I do not deprive myself of cookies or pizza or ice cream; however, I do eat it in moderation...as a treat not a meal (maybe a small something once a week).

What I've had to learn is...just because I'm not full, doesn't mean I'm hungry.

Miss lady, you are very capable of doing anything you put your mind to! Just stay focused, stay consistent & keep your eyes on the prize!

We're in this together!

Best of luck to you!

Really good advice here about not being super full does not mean hunger... Thanks
  • SlimBride2Be2016
    SlimBride2Be2016 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1210....5'4.25 age 27 started at 192 now at 187.4... The key is exercise.. If I know it's something I want that I'm not suppose to have I double my exercise. I've never gone into the red... The more active you are the more calories you can intake..
  • Fit4Life0901
    Fit4Life0901 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1, 23 and 105lbs. I eat around 1200- 1300 calories a day. At first it may seem hard but I haven't had a problem. Just have to structure your meals. Eating more protein helps too.Healthy low calories snacks when you feel hungry.I work out about 5 times a week doing cardio and weight lifting. Good Luck!
  • StarlightAria
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I just can't seem to get the energy to exercise, it has to do with the insulin resistance where I get tired. I'm working on it and will be going to the gym 2x a week starting this Tuesday if my ophthalmologist gives me the go ahead (something is wrong with my eye) and getting back on the wagon tomorrow after a particularly stressful day today.