The Truth About Calories.

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    MFP - From calorie misinformation to housework duties in less than three pages.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    My main issues were the continual reference to 2000 Kcal as a person's requirements, as this is merely an average, and a bad one at that, plus the fudging of activity levels. Clearly cleaning a house for four hours burns more than aerobic exercise for one. I'd wager most people don't spend four hours every day cleaning the house though.

It was way too simplistic to be of any use.

I want to know how these people cleaned. Most people flick a dust rag around a push a vaccum, wipe down the surfaces in the bathroom, then swish the toilet bowls clean.

This is not a great effort, unless maybe you're moving heavy furniture vacuuming, and even then, it's not a sustained thing like aerobics.

I can see bored housewives everywhere, flicking feather dusters "feeling the burn".

I'd hate to see what those houses looks like. Not saying I claim to burn a ton of calories when I clean the house, but I do a hell of a lot more than flick a feather duster around and wipe a few surfaces down.

I think the amount of effort you have to put into cleaning depends on how often you clean. I clean almost every day, so there's not really all that much effort needed to keep on top of it.

I agree that DEEP cleaning is a different matter.

And please, the outrage over me using "bored housewives". I am one. Spare me the PC brigade. I'm was making a sarcastically veiled reference to the way information like this dribbles down to the general public through a sensationalist press and how excuse makers assimilate it. It becomes... HOUSEWORK BURNS MORE CALORIES THAN AEROBICS... and people think they can flick a Swiffer around for 15 minutes and earn enough calories to burn off 3 donuts.

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    My main issues were the continual reference to 2000 Kcal as a person's requirements, as this is merely an average, and a bad one at that, plus the fudging of activity levels. Clearly cleaning a house for four hours burns more than aerobic exercise for one. I'd wager most people don't spend four hours every day cleaning the house though.

I want to know how these people cleaned. Most people flick a dust rag around a push a vaccum, wipe down the surfaces in the bathroom, then swish the toilet bowls clean.

This is not a great effort, unless maybe you're moving heavy furniture vacuuming, and even then, it's not a sustained thing like aerobics.

I can see bored housewives everywhere, flicking feather dusters "feeling the burn".

Everyone is different, but when I clean, I CLEAN. Feather duster my Aunt Tilly. <snip>
    I'm with you. There's a difference between straightening up your house and actually cleaning it. Whenever I hear people say cleaning isn't work I assume their houses are dirty. lol Wrong, I'm sure, but that's what always crosses my mind.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    vitaminski wrote: »
    Oh dear what have I done? I was just referring to myself when it came to the chips, chocolate and cheesecake as I love them all and need a bit of motivation to eat less and found the programme motivational. As I said if you don't find this helpful to you am sure there is something out there that is. To each their own. :D

I know "for me", that when I start eating chips, chocolate and cheesecake, I start to crave them more and be hungry more. I will most likely and have eaten those things (in particularly chips), but it has become rare now. I ate Chinese food two weeks ago and kept going back for more. At bite here, a bite there. I could not stop thinking that there was still more in the little boxes in the fridge. I went back to the way I am eating now over the past 4 days and found myself not being hungry.

I will treat myself to what I want. The point for me is that I don't want to crave the foods that will keep me from feeling satiated.

At this point, a raw mushroom, tomato, cooked spinach with egg, protein (only lean if I want more of it, because I do eat fat), whole mayo, but leveled tbsp. (100 calories per) etc... IDK for other people, but it works for me and is better than a diet pill. After 4 days of eating this way, I don't crave the Chinese anymore. I will eat Chinese food, of course, but I know I will get cravings and it will take a bit of effort to get back on track. I will wait till maintenance to do it now and then only on occasion, because it will trigger my hunger senses.

I will have treat days in the future, but for now I don't even want to remember what that food tastes like, so I can stay with my plan and not crave.

Again, this is how my appetite seems to be working. I don't want to be thinking about food all day and chips, chocolate and cheesecake seems to trigger me to eat more.

I know that cico is key. I just don't want to suffer thinking about food.

Anyway, I'm my own experiment so I like these threads and find them helpful.

Thank you OP!

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options

I'd hate to see what those houses looks like. Not saying I claim to burn a ton of calories when I clean the house, but I do a hell of a lot more than flick a feather duster around and wipe a few surfaces down.

I think the amount of effort you have to put into cleaning depends on how often you clean. I clean almost every day, so it's not really all that much effort needed to keep on top of it.

I clean every day. Most days, normal maintenance stuff and then on designated days, rotation of mopping, vacuuming and so on. Do you have children?

• PeachyCarol
    Options

I think the amount of effort you have to put into cleaning depends on how often you clean. I clean almost every day, so it's not really all that much effort needed to keep on top of it.

I clean every day. Most days, normal maintenance stuff and then on designated days, rotation of mopping, vacuuming and so on. Do you have children?

Yup, but they're not little. I don't move furniture except quarterly. Someone else moves it, I have a bad back.

I will say, they vacuum the steps for me. I hate doing that. They also keep their rooms clean. I'm pretty picky about how things are done, so I do most of the actual cleaning, though. They pick up their stuff.

• LAWoman72
    Options

Yup, but they're not little. I don't move furniture except quarterly. Someone else moves it, I have a bad back.

I will say, they vacuum the steps for me. I hate doing that. They also keep their rooms clean. I'm pretty picky about how things are done, so I do most of the actual cleaning, though. They pick up their stuff.

My middle son loves to sweep the floor. My husband thinks it's odd (for anybody to like sweeping a floor), as do I, but I secretly kind of dig it.

They pick up their own toys and clothes, absolutely.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I tried to watch it, I really really did

The presenter was engaging, but it moved at the speed af a reversing heavy freighter and my head was screaming where's the revelations

In the 20 turgid minutes I managed to watch I found out

Average calorie burns for males 2500 and females 2000 - that's an average and little help to me ...my TDEE used to be around 1800 and now it's more like 2200

Packaged foods are out by about + or - 10% calories but they average out over time - yup knew that

And that a scientist can present an armband HRM as a "calorie counter" without mentioning that the formula that underpins that is based on steady-state cardio

I think my personal standards for a documentary might be much higher than that

The take-out I assume is CICO

Also opening sequence and he held up an apple and said 2 of these = 100 calories, same as a banana - weigh the buggers ...my average apple is 72 calories, my average banana more like 120
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

My middle son loves to sweep the floor. My husband thinks it's odd (for anybody to like sweeping a floor), as do I, but I secretly kind of dig it.

They pick up their own toys and clothes, absolutely.

Mine used to like to "help" when they were really little. I had a carpet sweeper and small broom and dust pan back then. My son especially loved going after the sliding doors to the backyard with a squirt bottle of water and and a rag.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    No, the bored ones will just flick feather dusters. The unbored ones will go hardcore. What are you looking for?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    How many of you watched the documentary?
    What are your objections to it?

I didn't watch the documentary. I object to the idea that we should evaluate information on whether or not it is helpful to us instead of whether it is accurate.

So you didn't watch documentary, you don't know what it says, but you are going to object to it anyway despite not having the facts, and then you are going to claim you only evaluate information on its "accuracy".

Ok then....

:drinker:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Exactly. I know what it feels like to seriously burn calories and I know what an average cleaning feels like. They aren't even comparable.

• Sued0nim
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When this wife gets bored she heads to the gym, why do the cleaner out of a thankless task?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    So you didn't watch documentary, you don't know what it says, but you are going to object to it anyway despite not having the facts, and then you are going to claim you only evaluate information on its "accuracy".

Ok then....

Did you read my post? I don't object to the documentary. I object to OP's defense of it. Please respond to my actual point of view, not what you would like it to be.

• LAWoman72
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hey, someone told me there were some bored wives that are available for cleaning a house. Is true?

It is absolutely true! I am so bored taking care of the house, working my job from home five hours per day, and taking my two kids to their various sports, attending all school functions, IEPs and so on that I am looking for, you know, something to do.

PM me. My rate is $275/hour. More if you want me to move couches.

I am ready when you are.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Ok then....

Did you read my post? I don't object to the documentary. I object to OP's defense of it. Please respond to my actual point of view, not what you would like it to be.

That doesn't change a thing. If anything, it deepens the irony.

• Sued0nim
    Options

Ok then....

Ooh you've been paroled

• janejellyroll
    Options

Me not objecting to the documentary doesn't change a thing about your statements accusing me of objecting to the documentary?

So you are determined to let your assessment of me stand regardless of the facts? This seems like it has much more to do with you than it does with me. If my actual statements and beliefs make no difference, then project away.