coconut oil in rice story

Options
http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/How-Make-Healthier-Rice-37167924

Would a food scale be able to identify the cals in this? Thoughts?

Replies

• Jayceca
    Jayceca Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well my food scale just weighs the food, not calculate calories.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the oil, but I have heard the chilling and reheating of rice and pasta increases the amount of resistant starches. You'd have to count the cals of the oil in that recipe.....
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Stop overthinking things, and reading silly articles about 'healthier rice'. Weigh the rice dry, and then weigh the coconut oil. Cook the rice, add the coconut oil. Eat. There you go. Done.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    Don't know about the oil, but I have heard the chilling and reheating of rice and pasta increases the amount of resistant starches. You'd have to count the cals of the oil in that recipe.....

Good lord.
  • candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Stop overthinking things, and reading silly articles about 'healthier rice'. Weigh the rice dry, and then weigh the coconut oil. Cook the rice, add the coconut oil. Eat. There you go. Done.
    Simmer yourself, no one is forcing YOU to read it but I'm learning about food and when this article popped up in my feed I thought it was interesting which really isn't for you to determine. You are more than welcome to opt out of this conversation.
    P.s. I don't weigh anything, I don't even own a food scale, so my inquisition is apt
  • candythorns
    Options

Good lord.

You're one of those hangry ppl....go eat something
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've read 2 stories on this the past few days. They say that it reduces the calories in the rice, but no one ever mentions about the added calories from adding the coconut oil to it. Both articles start of with "hoping to see up to 60% reduction in calories," but in the lab, they are only reducing calories by 10-12%. I'm not going to count on this method of cooking rice to help me lose weight right now. However, I'm wondering if it changes the taste at all. I may have to experiment on my own... :-)
    Good luck!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Simmer yourself, no one is forcing YOU to read it but I'm learning about food and when this article popped up in my feed I thought it was interesting which really isn't for you to determine. You are more than welcome to opt out of this conversation.
    P.s. I don't weigh anything, I don't even own a food scale, so my inquisition is apt

this is the problem. You're reading things about 'healthier' rice, and trying to figure out how to lower calories but you don't own a food scale? If you want to lose weight and such, you need to weigh your solid foods. You have no idea how many calories you are consuming in a day if you aren't weighing everything you are eating. You can be literally hundreds of calories off if you aren't weighing.
  • candythorns
    Options
    chriscolh wrote: »
    I've read 2 stories on this the past few days. They say that it reduces the calories in the rice, but no one ever mentions about the added calories from adding the coconut oil to it. Both articles start of with "hoping to see up to 60% reduction in calories," but in the lab, they are only reducing calories by 10-12%. I'm not going to count on this method of cooking rice to help me lose weight right now. However, I'm wondering if it changes the taste at all. I may have to experiment on my own... :-)
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the input. I don't even add anything to my rice, but hot sauce, but will try this since I've been trying to fit coconut oil more into my diet.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Good lord.

And no, I'm not 'hangry'. I'm one of those people who has been on these forums for years, trying to help people who are on the wrong track. I've seen all of these silly comments before. There is a lot of misinformation being handed out.
  • candythorns
    Options

this is the problem. You're reading things about 'healthier' rice, and trying to figure out how to lower calories but you don't own a food scale? If you want to lose weight and such, you need to weigh your solid foods. You have no idea how many calories you are consuming in a day if you aren't weighing everything you are eating. You can be literally hundreds of calories off if you aren't weighing.

That is really helpful, thanks....I will look into this further
  • chriskangell
    chriskangell Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mccindy72 is spot on with everything she's said.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options

Good lord.

Actually, she is one of those knowledgeable people who have done this for quite some time and has been very helpful. And she is right. The article itself is a bit of a joke as it doesn't consider a diet in total context, nor does it even prove anything scientifically, like the title suggest.

You can add coconut oil to rice to add some additional fats and/or nutrients but it will also add calories. But overall, you can have either white rice or brown rice in an overall good diet.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Mccindy72 is spot on with everything she's said.

Why thank you. :blush:
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the input. I don't even add anything to my rice, but hot sauce, but will try this since I've been trying to fit coconut oil more into my diet.

Why are you trying to add coconut oil? Are you under the impression that it's superior in some way or just like to cook with it?
  • cbellebaby
    Options

Good lord.

And no, I'm not 'hangry'. I'm one of those people who has been on these forums for years, trying to help people who are on the wrong track. I've seen all of these silly comments before. There is a lot of misinformation being handed out.

Then educate dont undermind peoples curiosity and willingness to learn and ask questions about what they are putting in there bodies. Be helpful not hurtful :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    cbellebaby wrote: »

Good lord.

Then educate dont undermind peoples curiosity and willingness to learn and ask questions about what they are putting in there bodies. Be helpful not hurtful :)

She has been helpful from the original post and on.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good luck!

Why? Only reason I started using coconut oil was because I was using it for skincare and decided to try it for cooking. I only use it if I need something with minimal/no flavour (some CO doesn't have fragrance, especially when it's meant specifically for cooking) or want something sweet.

Nothing inherently special or magic about coconut oil.

ETA I also still use olive oil more than coconut oil.
  • cbellebaby
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Good lord.

Actually, she is one of those knowledgeable people who have done this for quite some time and has been very helpful. And she is right. The article itself is a bit of a joke as it doesn't consider a diet in total context, nor does it even prove anything scientifically, like the title suggest.

You can add coconut oil to rice to add some additional fats and/or nutrients but it will also add calories. But overall, you can have either white rice or brown rice in an overall good diet.

Like i said earlier be helpful. she is trying to learn no need to gang up on her.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    cbellebaby wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

Good lord.

Like i said earlier be helpful. she is trying to learn no need to gang up on her.

Well, you're replying to a forum moderator so pretty sure that wasn't an attempt to "gang up" on the OP, since that would be violating the guidelines.

We cannot hold everyone's hand and speak to them patronizingly as we would the elderly or children. Nothing anyone has said was hurtful.