Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cbellebaby wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    flumi_f wrote: »
    Don't know about the oil, but I have heard the chilling and reheating of rice and pasta increases the amount of resistant starches. You'd have to count the cals of the oil in that recipe.....

Good lord.

You're one of those hangry ppl....go eat something

Actually, she is one of those knowledgeable people who have done this for quite some time and has been very helpful. And she is right. The article itself is a bit of a joke as it doesn't consider a diet in total context, nor does it even prove anything scientifically, like the title suggest.

You can add coconut oil to rice to add some additional fats and/or nutrients but it will also add calories. But overall, you can have either white rice or brown rice in an overall good diet.

Like i said earlier be helpful. she is trying to learn no need to gang up on her.

We aren't ganging up on her. We are correcting her misinformation based on a silly article. And just because we don't agree doesn't mean we aren't being helpful. In fact, the stuff that isn't helpful in this thread are your post suggesting we need to be nice. Many of us have been doing this for years and consistently help people over and over.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Interesting article, but despite the science-y words in it (e.g. glycogen) I find that hard to believe. Plus, I’d rather overestimate calories than underestimate them.

Honestly, I’d rather invest my time in weighing your foods and logging everything. My food scale cost something like $15 and it’s my favourite thing in my kitchen. I eat anything (including white rice): as long as it’s within my calorie targets for the day, it’s not worth stressing over in my opinion.

I highly recommend you try the weighing foods route and worry less about how to make things healthier via weird methods like that one. Eating less/more balanced usually does the trick just fine. Good luck with everything :smile:

P.S. @mccindy72‌ Love the top you’re wearing in your profile pic! So pretty.
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    chriscolh wrote: »
    I've read 2 stories on this the past few days. They say that it reduces the calories in the rice, but no one ever mentions about the added calories from adding the coconut oil to it. Both articles start of with "hoping to see up to 60% reduction in calories," but in the lab, they are only reducing calories by 10-12%. I'm not going to count on this method of cooking rice to help me lose weight right now. However, I'm wondering if it changes the taste at all. I may have to experiment on my own... :-)
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the input. I don't even add anything to my rice, but hot sauce, but will try this since I've been trying to fit coconut oil more into my diet.

Why? Only reason I started using coconut oil was because I was using it for skincare and decided to try it for cooking. I only use it if I need something with minimal/no flavour (some CO doesn't have fragrance, especially when it's meant specifically for cooking) or want something sweet.

Nothing inherently special or magic about coconut oil.

ETA I also still use olive oil more than coconut oil.

I personally use olive oil too. It would be interesting to see if there is a huge difference in nutrients. I know coconut water is beneficial in the fact it has electrolytes in it.

One side note, most of the articles I have read would suggest that olive oil has more nutrients.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I've read 2 stories on this the past few days. They say that it reduces the calories in the rice, but no one ever mentions about the added calories from adding the coconut oil to it. Both articles start of with "hoping to see up to 60% reduction in calories," but in the lab, they are only reducing calories by 10-12%. I'm not going to count on this method of cooking rice to help me lose weight right now. However, I'm wondering if it changes the taste at all. I may have to experiment on my own... :-)
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the input. I don't even add anything to my rice, but hot sauce, but will try this since I've been trying to fit coconut oil more into my diet.

Why? Only reason I started using coconut oil was because I was using it for skincare and decided to try it for cooking. I only use it if I need something with minimal/no flavour (some CO doesn't have fragrance, especially when it's meant specifically for cooking) or want something sweet.

This is a good point - the olive vs coconut oil. Olive oil being a monounsaturated fat, and coconut oil being a saturated fat. Not that saturated fats are 'bad', as the current belief seems to be, but for those trying to lower or watch cholesterol levels, saturated fats need to be limited. Olive oil is definitely a better choice in that situation.
  • cbellebaby
    Options
    Don't know about the oil, but I have heard the chilling and reheating of rice and pasta increases the amount of resistant starches. You'd have to count the cals of the oil in that recipe.....

Good lord.

Actually, she is one of those knowledgeable people who have done this for quite some time and has been very helpful. And she is right. The article itself is a bit of a joke as it doesn't consider a diet in total context, nor does it even prove anything scientifically, like the title suggest.

You can add coconut oil to rice to add some additional fats and/or nutrients but it will also add calories. But overall, you can have either white rice or brown rice in an overall good diet.

Like i said earlier be helpful. she is trying to learn no need to gang up on her.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Interesting article, but despite the science-y words in it (e.g. glycogen) I find that hard to believe. Plus, I’d rather overestimate calories than underestimate them.

Honestly, I’d rather invest my time in weighing your foods and logging everything. My food scale cost something like $15 and it’s my favourite thing in my kitchen. I eat anything (including white rice): as long as it’s within my calorie targets for the day, it’s not worth stressing over in my opinion.

I highly recommend you try the weighing foods route and worry less about how to make things healthier via weird methods like that one. Eating less/more balanced usually does the trick just fine. Good luck with everything :smile:

P.S. @mccindy72‌ Love the top you’re wearing in your profile pic! So pretty.
    Thank you, Emilia. It's actually a dress. :wink:
  • psuLemon
    Options
    cbellebaby wrote: »

Good lord.

Right now, you are the only one being not helpful. And if you continue this path, I will let you know you will be violating the below rule:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

I personally use olive oil too. It would be interesting to see if there is a huge difference in nutrients. I know coconut water is beneficial in the fact it has electrolytes in it.

One side note, most of the articles I have read would suggest that olive oil has more nutrients.

I don't even really care which has more nutrients, since I'm probably consuming no more than a few tbsp per WEEK of oil total. Mostly just use it for my omelets, which only needs half a tsp, so if I made an omelet daily (which i don't always do) then that's only a bit more than a tbsp for the entire week! Not worth it to be concerned with nutrients.
  • candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Good lord.

Just an fyi to all the above posts, saying "good lord" to someone's innocent reply is in no way helpful ;)

Thank you for your thoughts on the topic though, I was just curious since I know food has properties that can change under circumstances

In regards to the coconut oil, I'm trying to eat more of it because I know how good it is for skin when applied topically, and I'm a firm believer of "you are hat you eat"

• occultllama
    occultllama Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

They are currently only doing the experiments with what they believe is the more difficult types of grains of rice, they are guessing they can get better results with different grains.
  • jeshutt
    jeshutt Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is a good point - the olive vs coconut oil. Olive oil being a monounsaturated fat, and coconut oil being a saturated fat. Not that saturated fats are 'bad', as the current belief seems to be, but for those trying to lower or watch cholesterol levels, saturated fats need to be limited. Olive oil is definitely a better choice in that situation.
    -And yet there is plenty of evidence to indicate that saturated fat does not raise cholesterol levels. Nor is there much evidence to suggest that high cholesterol levels are unhealthy.
    Look for example at traditional Inuit or Masai diets - a lot of fat, much of it saturated, some protein, few or no carbs.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This study was conducted on one variety of rice only, and they merely hope that they will be able to get results as high as 50% eventually on all rices.

It's far too premature to assume anything at all about the rice in your supermarket.

Until then, it's best to use a food scale, limit portions, and if you want to add fat to your rice, I'm personally a big fan of Kerry Gold butter.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Stop overthinking things, and reading silly articles about 'healthier rice'. Weigh the rice dry, and then weigh the coconut oil. Cook the rice, add the coconut oil. Eat. There you go. Done.

It's not so simple. I heard a story on NPR in which a scientist discussed this process. But for reasons I forget, I believe it is not currently available or practicable for the home.