Running in street clothes

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see a woman trying to jog in not only a dress but high heels as well.

I used to run in heels. Like the wind. Like you see in movies where there is a chase going on and the girl is just booking it. That was before my injury and weight gain though. Heels are something I'm looking forward to when I reach goal weight and not one second sooner. Running in them is not. I no longer feel the need to look so pretty all the time. Nor do I feel the need to rush everywhere all the time. Sometime ago when I was losing unhealthy habits "people pleasing" was one of them.
  • reaxmadd
    reaxmadd Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm in Las Vegas. If you're running in street clothes it's probably .... 1. from the cops... 2. from a store clerk. ....3. to catch a bus.
  • madsworld1975
    Options
    LOL...that's funny. I tried running in flip flops but that didn't work
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I "run" with my kids... like a fitness test against each other... if we are in the right shoes we will say "I wonder if I can run to the lights without stopping, and we try together... but yea a full on jog for a long time, makes no sense to me. but at least they are doing something.
    I alwys wondered about people at the gym who come in on a sunny day, run on the treadmill, then leave without any other exercise. that's a head scratcher
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm more perplexed by people wearing sporty apparel who obviously don't bother to exercise, I'm weird that way.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Who cares!

I like to workout in my underwear, doesn't seem to bother anyone.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    I think I need to be able to run in my street clothes. Not like I'm gonna tell the zombies "hang on a minute...gotta change..."

:laugh:
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well, if I see someone bicycling in street clothes, I think that they lost their driver's license and need to ride the bike to get from A to B.

Really? I think we have as many bikes on the road here as we do cars. People just use them as another mode of transportation .... even people with drivers licenses and cars.

Yup. It's called saving money, cause we all know gas is expensive.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I was having problems getting to work on time after dropping my son off at daycare and vice versa. My choices were, as I don't drive, to either get a bike or run. As it was only just over a km, the bike would have been more hassle, so I ran.

Mostly I ran in Vivo Barefoot (which I have three pairs of: normal work shoes, running shoes and boots) but occasionally in less comfortable options. I always had work clothes on and a rucksack on my back. I started to enjoy it, trying to up my time using RunKeeper and then Zombies Run!

After running like this for about a year I was wondering if I should try a C25K type programme. Instead, I worked out where was 2.5km from my house and ran there and back pretty easily (with short walks after each zombie chase :laugh:). By running to and from work on a regular basis I had gained enough fitness and technique not to need to build up to it. For the 5K I did wear running shorts (from Lidl!) and shoes that looked like running shoes, but that was because I'd set out for a run, not to get somewhere, and 5k of sweat is much worse than 1k :laugh:

I've had mfp friends say that they can't afford to start running because they think they need a load of special kit, which is an impressive achievement in marketing. As a kid, I ran around all playtime in my school uniform, along with everyone else. We changed clothes for PE, but really I got more exercise at other times. And I ran down the hill to my mum after school too.

Basically, 'haters gonna hate'. If mocking others for their clothes makes you happy, go for it. I wear red sandals and a big pink hat, which I'm sure people find hilarious, but IDGAF. Brightens my day and theirs at once:tongue:
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I've never seen this but really want to, now.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    I'd like to see a woman trying to jog in not only a dress but high heels as well.

I used to run in heels. Like the wind. Like you see in movies where there is a chase going on and the girl is just booking it. That was before my injury and weight gain though. Heels are something I'm looking forward to when I reach goal weight and not one second sooner. Running in them is not. I no longer feel the need to look so pretty all the time. Nor do I feel the need to rush everywhere all the time. Sometime ago when I was losing unhealthy habits "people pleasing" was one of them.

sounds like me lol
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    I'm more perplexed by people wearing sporty apparel who obviously don't bother to exercise, I'm weird that way.

this! so much this!

or the ones that wear yoga clothes as everyday fashion
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Maybe we are not all blind followers of the multi-million dollar/pound sportswear and sportshoe hype-market?

I have run in jeans and T-shirt on occassion where I have had an unexpected hour or so off work, didn't pack any kit and the weather and place I am in is just too nice to pass up a run.

I am just as hooked as anyone else where it comes to fitness wear when it comes to cycling - just has to be lycra and chamois!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    This is what I wear when I run.
    3f30fefa-b335-46ff-bac3-69afcaf63749_zpsfb50dbb6.jpg

adult-banana-flasher-costume_zps708a14b5.jpg
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    When I see others exercising in street clothes I think of how I would feel. If I ran in jeans they would soon be soaked with sweat and when I was done I'd have to walk around in them. A big case of "diaper rash" growing bigger by the moment. Ick

Cotton just doesn't work for me. Gets too wet and heavy. I can get a wicking t-shirt on sale from Target for 4-5 bucks. They last forever and don't hold odors like the old stuff did. I actually will wear it into the shower and wring it out to dry for the next time.

The banana suit idea is long overdue. Perfect for the 5K fruit-run.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    The only response to this that I have is good for them for running/working out. Perhaps they can not afford "proper" athletic wear. Perhaps their religion requires them to wear a dress. Who knows?
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    more power to them, at least they are doing something...
    tumblr_mmjqd9P0u71sozp26o1_500_zps5e571e38.gif

Unless it's this, run just run for your life...
    somajestic_zps182886f8.gif
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I stopped my sister when she was about to go on a run in converse and jeans and lent her some trackies and trainers. We were visiting my dad, so it may have been she just didn't have the proper workout stuff, but she's also very poor and so probs can't afford them. But at least she was getting out to do the exercise and wasn't about to find excuses!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I'm perplexed that you would post this on a fitness site, where many of us started exercising at rather heavy weights.

My husband is a lifelong runner, so when I started running he went out and bought me great tech gear--some of it in Men's XL so it would fit my not-at-all-svelte frame. I'm sure I would have earned your disdain if you'd seen me in it back then. But while my shape might have suggested to others that I "obviously" wasn't bothering to exercise, I assure you I was getting my butt out there.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Attention people who can't afford work out clothes: Old Navy has running shorts for $5 today only!