Your favorite black

Options
MyChocolateDiet
MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
...coffee?

I want to switch coffees and I want something easy to make at home with no special equipment THAT I CAN DRINK BLACK. The most important thing is that it taste good with no cream or sweetener because I plan to have 2-3 cups a day and need to save my sugar, fat, and dairy cals for other things. Like oatmeal and sour cream.

What is your favorite black coffee?

Replies

• jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The trick to great, black coffee is to buy whole beans and grind them yourself right before you make your coffee. You can pickup a simple grinder for $15 or $20 and they are easy to use. As far as beans, I like a medium roast, such as Starbucks house blend or Dunkin donuts original blend.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Im most xurious aboit these two products has anyine tried them?

&h=480&w=640&tbnid=rfiZZZ4y6HJD3M:&zoom=1&docid=deyVINvJPY8HiM&ei=laAYVZCJCpetoQSzqoD4DQ&tbm=isch&client=ms-android-boost-us&ved=0CCAQMygDMAM
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Trader joes cold brew coffee
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Starbucks House Blend is my go to. World Market coffee is really good, too.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Because it makes coffee for one person from grounds and i would imagune that woukd be milder or less axisic than any instant stuff.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    *acidic
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    At starbucks i like Blonde roast, Kulawe or something. Pikes peak and christmas blend are okay but i have to put so much sugar and xreme. Sometimes i just want a cup of good black coffee. I want to bw able to make it at home though and i dont have room on the countwr for a coddee makwr.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Oh god, sorry everyone im on my cell and ugh! Spelling!
  • phogbear
    phogbear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Check for a local roaster. There is a shop near me where the owner roasts his own beans. It is more expensive but OH SO GOOD! It is just amazing how great the coffee is. Well worth the drive.

One coffee I enjoy is Eight O'Clock coffee. Its really good and cheap. I started buying it awhile back when it was ranked rather highly by Consumer Reports. Go with their light roast because I can drink that black.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    The trick to great, black coffee is to buy whole beans and grind them yourself right before you make your coffee. You can pickup a simple grinder for $15 or $20 and they are easy to use. As far as beans, I like a medium roast, such as Starbucks house blend or Dunkin donuts original blend.
    I like dunkin donuts in the keurig, probably will like it ground. That can be put it that cuptraption i linked above rihht?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Starbucks House Blend is my go to. World Market coffee is really good, too.
    Ill tell my mom gwt me some world market xofdew she goes there a lot.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I should probably mention I also don't like "smoky"... or as I called it on one of my first Starbucks visits " I-think-yer-machine's-broken-or-too-close-to-an-ashtray"
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    This is what i am referring to.

classic_pour_over_brewer_0.jpg?sw=638&sh=638
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    ^that seems like an easy inexpwsivee precursor to a french press, no?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    And i guess I will start with starbucks house blend because it got two recommendations here.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Well i found a press for 16 bucks so. Guess I'll get that.

• MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    phogbear wrote: »
    Check for a local roaster. There is a shop near me where the owner roasts his own beans. It is more expensive but OH SO GOOD! It is just amazing how great the coffee is. Well worth the drive.

One coffee I enjoy is Eight O'Clock coffee. Its really good and cheap. I started buying it awhile back when it was ranked rather highly by Consumer Reports. Go with their light roast because I can drink that black.
    thanks I will look for it at the supermarket. I cant even imaginenwhere to find someone roasting their own beans, i live in a city where I have, no joke, 4 starbucks within walking distance. Add to that the smatterings if dunkin donuts, coffee bean and tea leafs and I cant imagine an independant making it here.

• jddnw
    Options
    This is what i am referring to.

classic_pour_over_brewer_0.jpg?sw=638&sh=638

I have something just like this made by Melita. It makes great coffee and it's much easier to clean than a french press. I definitely recommend it.
  • jddnw
    Options
    This what an inexpensive grinder looks like. I can't emphasize enough the taste benefits of fresh ground from whole beans.

krups_twin_blade_grinder_500x500.jpg