Your favorite black

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    jddnw wrote: »
    This what an inexpensive grinder looks like. I can't emphasize enough the taste benefits of fresh ground from whole beans.

krups_twin_blade_grinder_500x500.jpg

My son just bought me this one for my birthday. I have a keurig with the My k cup reusable cups. The difference is tremendous with grinding your own beans. That said, he also bought me some 100% Kona coffee beans. Wonderful, but it's a medium roast. I also get beans from a coffee shop a couple hours away from me. It's flavored though--dark chocolate raspberry truffle. It's my favorite.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    This what an inexpensive grinder looks like. I can't emphasize enough the taste benefits of fresh ground from whole beans.

krups_twin_blade_grinder_500x500.jpg

My son just bought me this one for my birthday. I have a keurig with the My k cup reusable cups. The difference is tremendous with grinding your own beans. That said, he also bought me some 100% Kona coffee beans. Wonderful, but it's a medium roast. I also get beans from a coffee shop a couple hours away from me. It's flavored though--dark chocolate raspberry truffle. It's my favorite.
    Jesus that sounds good.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    techgal128 wrote: »
    Denzel Washington. :wink:
    Really?

Yep.

Seriously though, I like Don Francisco. Might just be a California product, I don't know. I do know that it's doesn't upset my stomach and the vanilla hazelnut is amazing. Plus I'm not a fan of spending a ton of money on coffee.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Naomi Campbell....no doubt
  • MyChocolateDiet
    edited April 2015
    Really?

Yep.

Seriously though, I like Don Francisco. Might just be a California product, I don't know. I do know that it's doesn't upset my stomach and the vanilla hazelnut is amazing. Plus I'm not a fan of spending a ton of money on coffee.

Omg I remember that one. Its delish.

Also you look a Lil young to be a denzel fan. I would have thought someone younger. He's awesome though.

• MyChocolateDiet
    Naomi Campbell....no doubt

She purty.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    edited April 2015
    Really?

Yep.

Omg I remember that one. Its delish.

Also you look a Lil young to be a denzel fan. I would have thought someone younger. He's awesome though.

Older and more refined. :smile: Especially in the Book of Eli.

Alright back to the topic. Yeah Don Francisco coffee is pretty great. I like it better than Starbucks which a lot of people seem downright offended by. lol It doesn't burn my stomach and also doesn't have that bitter taste that a lot of coffee has.
  • iamfashiontribes
    iamfashiontribes Posts: 26 Member
    Stumptown coffee is really good if on the spendy side. For el cheapo, I started drinking Cafe Bustelo when I lived in Miami - made w/a Moka Pot on the stove (I always see them cheap at Goodwill). Love me some strong, hot Bustelo. :)
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited April 2015
    The trick to great, black coffee is to buy whole beans and grind them yourself right before you make your coffee. You can pickup a simple grinder for $15 or $20 and they are easy to use. As far as beans, I like a medium roast, such as Starbucks house blend or Dunkin donuts original blend.

A lot of people say that pour over brewing is far better than using an electric pot or the like.

I have yet to try it, I keep reading about using this filter or that... gonna sort it out.

I get whole beans from a local market, which are probably mass roasted beans anyway... and use a conical grinder. I will say the taste is better even in my electric pot than having bought pre-ground even from the same beans bought from the same market.
  • eat_hike_b33r
    eat_hike_b33r Posts: 82 Member
    I've never been a fan of starbucks as it tastes bitter to me and needs a lot of cream and sugar to cover that up.
    I love Level Ground Trading - Peru medium coffee, whole bean is one of the only ones I like black. You can order big boxes online for cheaper if you drink a lot rather than small bags.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Storble wrote: »
    I've never been a fan of starbucks as it tastes bitter to me and needs a lot of cream and sugar to cover that up.
    I love Level Ground Trading - Peru medium coffee, whole bean is one of the only ones I like black. You can order big boxes online for cheaper if you drink a lot rather than small bags.

Starbucks pike is like that. I like blonde and Verona though.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    I tried Sumatra the other day, meh.

Blonde as a pourover too. Not better than regular blonde. Didn't have the heart to tell the Barista ( or the line that formed behind me.)
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Starbucks Sumatra or Komodo Dragon

For amazingly rich black coffee, check out Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica...wow!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Feistycat wrote: »
    Starbucks Sumatra or Komodo Dragon

For amazingly rich black coffee, check out Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica...wow!
    By rich, do you mean smoky?/ I don't like that tobacco flavor in my coffee.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    sunrise611 wrote: »
    This is what i am referring to.

classic_pour_over_brewer_0.jpg?sw=638&sh=638

I have something just like this made by Melita. It makes great coffee and it's much easier to clean than a french press. I definitely recommend it.

I have been wanting to try a french press as an alternative to the Keurig but this looks interesting. I will check it out. Thanks!

I think they will be very different things. Press doesn't "tamp" but I think it still extracts more than a puourover situation. I could be wrong..
  • Daisies4Days
    Daisies4Days Posts: 76 Member
    Sumatra
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Kicking horse coffee.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Try Costa Rican coffees. They have very, very little natural bitterness.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Try Costa Rican coffees. They have very, very little natural bitterness.

Thsnkd!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    foursirius wrote: »
    Kicking horse coffee.

What a cute name.