Book: The science of fat loss

Options

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For myself I noticed after I started being more active and eating healthy and monitoring my calorie intake my stress and depression was gone also oh and abut 60lbs, and yes I did see a doctor about my depression. I was was given anti-depressants but did not like the way they made me feel. Doctor said the endorphin's released during physical activity are great at reducing stress and depression.
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    Yo
    Silly misrepresentation. Find out what he is saying and then give evidence to the contrary if you can.

How would I give evidence to contradict the statement that if you don't detoxify, losing fat will be impossible and dangerous? There isn't any proof to support that statement at all.

And how can something be both impossible and dangerous? Wouldn't someone have to do it (thereby making it possible) in order for us to know that is is dangerous?

so you are so familiar with all the evidence that you can say off the cough there isn't any. Impressive. When the pope dies, you could be a candidate to take his place. (I would look at the evidence Phil Richards presents first though, just in case your not omniscient.)

There is so much wrong here, but I'm just going to point out that the Pope is not -- within the Catholic Church -- held to be omniscient.

What toxins is the author talking about though? If it is impossible to lose fat without detoxification, how does he explain how so many people have done so? And if it is dangerous to do that impossible task, what danger is he specifically talking about?

I know the pope is not held as omniscient I was exaggerating - but only just! He can speak infallibly, so he can create his own absolute truth for his followers. I guess that's the next best thing to being omniscient.

The difference between the human construct of papal infallibility (when speaking to matters of doctrine) and omniscience is huge. It's as huge as the difference between a reasonable and scentifically supported plan to lose weight and a plan that tells you it is impossible to lose weight unless you detoxify your body first.

Whether it is a human construct, and whether your pitting science against a straw man of toxicity, are valid depends on your epistemology and the nature of reality. I presume you can't prove that we are not right now living in the Matrix. And that being the case, your basing your opinions on unprovable assumptions. And doing so with great certainty.

Wow. Just wow. You are exactly the type of person diet books like these are written for, aren't you?

I choose to take that as a complement, so I guess you mean the type of person who thinks instead of hiding behind false certainty, lol
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Yo
    Silly misrepresentation. Find out what he is saying and then give evidence to the contrary if you can.

How would I give evidence to contradict the statement that if you don't detoxify, losing fat will be impossible and dangerous? There isn't any proof to support that statement at all.

And how can something be both impossible and dangerous? Wouldn't someone have to do it (thereby making it possible) in order for us to know that is is dangerous?

so you are so familiar with all the evidence that you can say off the cough there isn't any. Impressive. When the pope dies, you could be a candidate to take his place. (I would look at the evidence Phil Richards presents first though, just in case your not omniscient.)

There is so much wrong here, but I'm just going to point out that the Pope is not -- within the Catholic Church -- held to be omniscient.

What toxins is the author talking about though? If it is impossible to lose fat without detoxification, how does he explain how so many people have done so? And if it is dangerous to do that impossible task, what danger is he specifically talking about?

Now these are intelligent, sensible, and reasonable questions. Much better than the iron clad certainty otherwise demonstrated here, without asking such questions. Bravo.

So what are the answers to those questions?

I'm not sure I want to do the work to try and give those answers as the toxin issue is not something I raised or am overly interested in. Perhaps it's something you could research more?

Wait so you don't know the toxins and would have to do research to know the answers? Didn't the author answer those questions? Didn't you read the book? If you did read it then why would you have to research to find the answers?

I'm in danger of oft repeating myself. I haven't finished the book, and haven't paid huge attention to the toxin issues that I have read as it wasn't a major point of interest for me. I shared about the information regarding depression. I didn't even bring up the toxin issue.

If this book is so great why wouldn't you at least attempt to see what the toxins section was all about? It could have had great information no?

The book is massive and I'm a slow reader. Im not cherry picking, it will just take me a while to finish it. Thanks for the encouragement.

But you said before that you didn't pay attention to that section are you now saying that you haven't gotten to that section yet?

All he is saying is that depression impacts weight loss. I kind of thought it would of been common knowledge since major of people know what happens in the body with depression. I guess the book by whoever it is doesn't know that.

It depends on how that statement is meant.

If the intent is to say depression affects impulse control and reduces motivation to get the body moving, then yes, depression affects weight loss because it can contribute to both over-eating and under-burning.

If the intent is to say that CICO doesn't apply to depressed people, then no, that is completely false.

Maybe I should read the book to learn about the toxins. :wink:

The best idea I've read so far in this thread
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yo

I know the pope is not held as omniscient I was exaggerating - but only just! He can speak infallibly, so he can create his own absolute truth for his followers. I guess that's the next best thing to being omniscient.

The difference between the human construct of papal infallibility (when speaking to matters of doctrine) and omniscience is huge. It's as huge as the difference between a reasonable and scentifically supported plan to lose weight and a plan that tells you it is impossible to lose weight unless you detoxify your body first.

Whether it is a human construct, and whether your pitting science against a straw man of toxicity, are valid depends on your epistemology and the nature of reality. I presume you can't prove that we are not right now living in the Matrix. And that being the case, your basing your opinions on unprovable assumptions. And doing so with great certainty.

Wow. Just wow. You are exactly the type of person diet books like these are written for, aren't you?

I choose to take that as a complement, so I guess you mean the type of person who thinks instead of hiding behind false certainty, lol

You're quite certain that's what you're doing, are you?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Yo

Now these are intelligent, sensible, and reasonable questions. Much better than the iron clad certainty otherwise demonstrated here, without asking such questions. Bravo.

I'm not sure I want to do the work to try and give those answers as the toxin issue is not something I raised or am overly interested in. Perhaps it's something you could research more?

Wait so you don't know the toxins and would have to do research to know the answers? Didn't the author answer those questions? Didn't you read the book? If you did read it then why would you have to research to find the answers?

I'm in danger of oft repeating myself. I haven't finished the book, and haven't paid huge attention to the toxin issues that I have read as it wasn't a major point of interest for me. I shared about the information regarding depression. I didn't even bring up the toxin issue.

If this book is so great why wouldn't you at least attempt to see what the toxins section was all about? It could have had great information no?

The book is massive and I'm a slow reader. Im not cherry picking, it will just take me a while to finish it. Thanks for the encouragement.

But you said before that you didn't pay attention to that section are you now saying that you haven't gotten to that section yet?

All he is saying is that depression impacts weight loss. I kind of thought it would of been common knowledge since major of people know what happens in the body with depression. I guess the book by whoever it is doesn't know that.

It depends on how that statement is meant.

If the intent is to say depression affects impulse control and reduces motivation to get the body moving, then yes, depression affects weight loss because it can contribute to both over-eating and under-burning.

If the intent is to say that CICO doesn't apply to depressed people, then no, that is completely false.

Maybe I should read the book to learn about the toxins. :wink:

The best idea I've read so far in this thread

google. Finds it in torrent. You thought wrong if I was giving money for a comedy book to laugh at.

• slowbutsure2
    Options
    Yo

Yet you are not answering them.

Correct. The reason being that I never set out to prove such things. I've recommended the book, gave a personal example of how it has helped me. I baulk at ignorant certainty and so challenge it. I applaud openness and wanting to discover more, and having some level of self doubt. That's how progress, discovery, and science proceed rather than stagnate.

Yet you seem to be 100% sure that this one book is correct when there's been many many people telling you otherwise.

Also if you want to be scientific, you don't just claim things and dare others to prove you wrong. That is the exact opposite of how this works.

I am doubtful that weight loss is purely tracking calories consumed and burned, with a deficit. Of course it's the bedrock, but I'm not convinced that hormones, disease, liver problems, very high stress etc do not impact weight loss even when you are working at a deficit.

Since you like personal anecdotes, here's mine.

Let's start with this, though.

CICO is an equation.

The medical conditions don't negate the equation, they factor into it.

I have hypothyroidism, hence, for me, CI - CO becomes CI - ( Projected CO -hormonal adjustment).

Therefore, I go to the doctor, get my thyroid adjusted and make some tweaks in my diet (I moderate my carbs. CICO still applies.

Thanks, yes I agree with that. Posters have wanted to polarise the discussion between cico and non-cico. I don't subscribe to that. I have said that it's not 'just' cico in the sense that if your not losing weight it's not always because you are eating more than you think, or burning less than you think (not working out as hard as you think you are).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yo

So you think your position is based on one "who thinks" and those who disagree with your conclusion are "hiding behind false certainty"?

What if I were to suggest that you have this backwards? That those who disagree with you are basing their disagreement on an enormous body of research and you seem to be basing your certainty on a single book. People who have actually practiced their beliefs and found it to be effective...who have coached others in its application and still found it effective...who, when they have found instances where it might not seem to be effective initially, eventually conclude that it is still effective and that their application simply needed adjustment.

Who do you believe is more likely to have this right and who is more likely to have this wrong?
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    Yo

Why do you want to try and catch me out instead of assuming the best first? Really sad. The book is encyclopaedic. I have dipped into and scanned all sections very lightly, but I'm reading in detail from the beginning. I can't comment intelligibly on things I've quickly scanned to get a rough idea of what's in each section. Sigh.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yo

But you aren't thinking. You haven't been able to answer any of the questions that have been asked in this thread. You just keep repeating "Read the book, read the book."

Accepting outlandish statements on faith isn't thinking.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yo

Anyone got some Alanis Morissette handy to cue up?
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Yo

So you think your position is based on one "who thinks" and those who disagree with your conclusion are "hiding behind false certainty"?

What if I were to suggest that you have this backwards? That those who disagree with you are basing their disagreement on an enormous body of research and you seem to be basing your certainty on a single book. People who have actually practiced their beliefs and found it to be effective...who have coached others in its application and still found it effective...who, when they have found instances where it might not seem to be effective initially, eventually conclude that it is still effective and that their application simply needed adjustment.

Who do you believe is more likely to have this right and who is more likely to have this wrong?

I was hoping the flippant nature of my comment was apparent, as I was responding as seriously as I took the posters comments. Responding in kind. I'm sure there are very intelligent, thoughtful people here.
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    belgerian wrote: »
    For myself I noticed after I started being more active and eating healthy and monitoring my calorie intake my stress and depression was gone also oh and abut 60lbs, and yes I did see a doctor about my depression. I was was given anti-depressants but did not like the way they made me feel. Doctor said the endorphin's released during physical activity are great at reducing stress and depression.

I guess the difference with us then is that I was just as active before with my personal trainer than I was after.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have said that it's not 'just' cico in the sense that if your not losing weight it's not always because you are eating more than you think, or burning less than you think (not working out as hard as you think you are).

What someone "thinks" they're eating is not part of CICO - what someone is actually eating is.

Ditto for the burning side.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Yo

Correct. The reason being that I never set out to prove such things. I've recommended the book, gave a personal example of how it has helped me. I baulk at ignorant certainty and so challenge it. I applaud openness and wanting to discover more, and having some level of self doubt. That's how progress, discovery, and science proceed rather than stagnate.

Yet you seem to be 100% sure that this one book is correct when there's been many many people telling you otherwise.

Also if you want to be scientific, you don't just claim things and dare others to prove you wrong. That is the exact opposite of how this works.

I am doubtful that weight loss is purely tracking calories consumed and burned, with a deficit. Of course it's the bedrock, but I'm not convinced that hormones, disease, liver problems, very high stress etc do not impact weight loss even when you are working at a deficit.

CICO is an equation.

I have hypothyroidism, hence, for me, CI - CO becomes CI - ( Projected CO -hormonal adjustment).

Therefore, I go to the doctor, get my thyroid adjusted and make some tweaks in my diet (I moderate my carbs. CICO still applies.

Thanks, yes I agree with that. Posters have wanted to polarise the discussion between cico and non-cico. I don't subscribe to that. I have said that it's not 'just' cico in the sense that if your not losing weight it's not always because you are eating more than you think, or burning less than you think (not working out as hard as you think you are).

Well, no, actually, you said:
    "it's just calories in and out" camp won't like it as the whole book dispels that myth. (No offence intended)

And you've been backpedaling away from it ever since.

The larger point is that factoring medical conditions into CICO doesn't dispel it.

If you read most of the posts around here long enough, when they analyze why someone is not losing weight, if their logging is looking good, medical conditions are indeed brought up.

There really is nothing new in what you're saying, and given the way you've back-tracked, the whole thing was needlessly inflammatory.
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    Yo

CICO is an equation.

"it's just calories in and out" camp won't like it as the whole book dispels that myth. (No offence intended)

The larger point is that factoring medical conditions into CICO doesn't dispel it.

If you read most of the posts around here long enough, when they analyze why someone is not losing weight, if their logging is looking good, medical conditions are indeed brought up.

There really is nothing new in what you're saying, and given the way you've back-tracked, the whole thing was needlessly inflammatory.

You may be right, but I'm not aware that I have backtracked. My experience of the simply cico crowd in threads on myfitnesspal has been to just blast people who are not losing weight as kidding themselves about how many calories they are eating or how much exercise they are actually doing. I think that's too simplistic, which is what I have said many times here, and meant in my original post when I used the word 'simply'
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    I have said that it's not 'just' cico in the sense that if your not losing weight it's not always because you are eating more than you think, or burning less than you think (not working out as hard as you think you are).

What someone "thinks" they're eating is not part of CICO - what someone is actually eating is.

That's not the way it is often expressed here on my fitness pal.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yo

CICO is an equation.

You may be right, but I'm not aware that I have backtracked. My experience of the simply cico crowd in threads on myfitnesspal has been to just blast people who are not losing weight as kidding themselves about how many calories they are eating or how much exercise they are actually doing. I think that's too simplistic, which is what I have said many times here, and meant in my original post when I used the word 'simply'

Sounds like a potential case of reader bias...

...because this is not what I recall reading in the "help I've stalled/not losing weight" threads...

...and I have read (and participated in) a lot of them.

Have you?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

That's not the way it is often expressed here on my fitness pal.

I don't know what threads you are talking about, but what I see stressed is the importance of understanding what is actually being consumed -- not what the person thinks is being consumed.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Yo

CICO is an equation.

How many "help I'm not losing any weight" threads have you read?

The ones where the original poster is posting in earnest contain no blasting whatsoever. There's the odd thread where the OP is looking for validation for unhealthy behavior or a preconceived notion of what their problem is instead of help, and those threads might go differently, but for the most part, all of the analysis threads are very helpful if the OP is open to taking information on board.