Coworker's "weight loss" journey gone too far (aka "Don't force your lifestyle change on others")

Options

Replies

• shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yep, some managerial or HR intervention is definitely needed in this case. Especially considering this guy has a history of harrassment, and write ups don't seem to do much to reign in his attitude.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I would have filed a complaint with HR long before now.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    He's oblivious. He won't notice unless the directions are spelled out in loud Neon. He's not allowed to touch the thermostat, and keep his snacks to himself.

His crazy food choices and snazzy sneakers are his own affair. Let him live his delusion.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I would be tempted to ask him how much he has lost but I would also be afraid that showing interest would open doors that would be hard to close.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Use some of these tactics in retaliation:

Ways_c8058d_445070.jpg
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Oh heck no, this guy would be a goner if I had to work in close proximity to him. I love having my own office far far away from my coworkers (I work in a hospital and my office is in a weird empty corridor between two nursing units)

Nurses have the most shockingly bad theories on weight loss, so I avoid those conversations like the plague. When I worked on the floor it took all my effort to ignore the juice cleanse conversations- we have one nurse who does the miralax and Gatorade diet about once a month. That's the cocktail they give as bowel prep for colonoscopy patients... There's another one who is on a low carb diet but she eats enormous quantities of goetta, sausage, gravy, and tortillas (because they're flat, so no carbs, right?)

Now I just hide in my office until I want to talk to someone.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    I would be tempted to ask him how much he has lost but I would also be afraid that showing interest would open doors that would be hard to close.

LOL!!

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Comiserations OP, I have the opposite problem my boss is a huuuge fat guy, who has been on weight watchers for like 5 years and is in a continuous cycle of losing 40lbs, putting it back on, losing 40lbs, putting it back on. I moved jobs recently to something that requires printing off reports, and he tried to make me move desks so I wouldn't have to walk to the printer, i'd only need to lean over. My current desks is 5 steps away from the printer, 5 STEPS.
    I told him I'm training for a marathon, 5 steps does not bother me!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This guy is beyond fixing. Sounds like A) he likes to hear himself talk way too much, and B ) he has way too much time on his hands.

Get management involved, they may not realize they've got a bigger problem on their hands than a pest because I'm betting it shows in his work, too.
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can do nothing buy gawk at the stories you have shared about this guy. He must be such a huge problem for everyone in your workplace.
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Maries_wine_calories Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    ROFL>>>THE LIST!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you're my friend you can totally put food on my plate without asking (most of the time), but a coworker? That would go right back onto his plate. And then some.

Sounds like the kind of guy that needs someone to be super obnoxious right back at him so he gets a clue. Maybe stop by his desk and chomp loudly on some carrots for a few minutes. lol!

~Lyssa
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @macgurlnet /Lyssa, I don't think this guy goes for subtle. Chomping loudly on carrots would not do it. He probably would think it's attention and ask the chomper out on a date. He needs explicitly spelled out instructions in capital letters. Maybe from HR.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Bring in a giant bag of peanut M&Ms, put them on his desk - say peanuts are high in protein so they are good for you and that if he doesn't eat them he is actively keeping you from achieving your goals.

Then leave.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Or you could just plug in his information to a TDEE calculator, put down how many calories are in his 1 lb thing of peanuts and then leave it on his desk when he isn't there so he doesn't know who did it. Just a thought.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »

:D

Man, I'm sorry. That sounds truly terrible. I must agree with Evankeel and say he's got some issues. I haven't breathed a word about my weight loss to anyone (aside from my husband). It's private.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I hate situations like that!!! I work in Retail(supervisor), and I have coworkers who have started "eating healthier", but they still drive to McDonalds and Wendy's on their lunch break to pick up burgers and fries... There is nothing wrong with that stuff, in moderation, but they practically brag about it... They will be like "I lost 1 pound this month, eating what I want while you eat THAT stuff" and I'm like "well, I've lost 20 in the last ~2.5mos, and I do enjoy what I'm eating, I'm working out and I get to eat those extra calories back too" I don't ever push my losses in anyone's face, nor do I expect anyone to make the same choices as me, but please don't brag to me about your fast food! I am working very hard(not saying they're not) but your style of "eating healthy" isn't the same for me!

Hopefully you(or somebody you work with) can get through to that guy!!!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    In the words of Rodney King, "Can we all just get along?"
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    There's another one who is on a low carb diet but she eats enormous quantities of goetta, sausage, gravy, and tortillas (because they're flat, so no carbs, right?)

WHAT? If they are flat there are no carbs, why didn't you tell me earlier!!!! :wink: Love it!

• granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    ... every day with a 1lb can of honey roasted peanuts which you proceed to eat for breakfast..

And when you show up wearing new sneakers .. You need to shut up with that.

... Don't start pushing the plates in people's faces (and in the case of the lady sitting beside me, actually scooping appetizers onto her plate as she repeatedly told him no) ... Don't. I can't exercise your self control for you. Grow up.

... turn the heat down to 60 degrees because you read that being cold helps you burn more calories as your body tries to maintain temperature? P... The other lady? Is going through ****ing CHEMO and doesn't need to be any LESS comfortable than she already has to be.

... but I'm about to Hulk out on this guy.

Breakfast and runners - for me these are minor. If it bother you, you need to say something to him

Starters and heat - you're all adults, someone should have said something to him. His behaviour is unacceptable. I cant believe someone hasnt confronted him over the heating issue.