Coworker's "weight loss" journey gone too far (aka "Don't force your lifestyle change on others")

Options

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @macgurlnet /Lyssa, I don't think this guy goes for subtle. Chomping loudly on carrots would not do it. He probably would think it's attention and ask the chomper out on a date. He needs explicitly spelled out instructions in capital letters. Maybe from HR.

I think you're right - but the note would need to be delivered along with a good punch in the nose to get the message home!

~Lyssa
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    As someone with severe food allergies, waving food in front of my face would earn a warning first and if continued (even just once as a joke) writing an incident report and calling HR.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I had a manager (not my direct manager but one for the technical department) that was like that

she would be on XYZ diet for about a week and then complain on how it isn't working for XYZ reasons (she was fairly obese). She had noticed I lost weight and asked me how I did it since she had noticed how much food I eat ("you eat so much how can you be losing weight?")

I explained how I structured my calories to be at a deficit and I workout every morning before work (for months not weeks) and she was "oh that sounds hard" to which I explained it was but it gets easier once you get used to it and that it takes more then a week to see any results.

She just flat out told me "you must think you are better then me uh" which took me off guard. I told her I don't think of myself above anyone, I just want to improve my life and she is more then welcome to take my advice or to ignore it and continue to live the way she lives"

She then went to HR to make a complaint that I (As a non-manager) was being disrespectful and insulting towards her weight. HR (being my department) looked into it and realized she was an idiot and I didn't get anything....safe to say she wasn't happy about that and eventually quit because she thought everyone was against her
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've learned that people love to wear the badge of a healthy lifestyle, bragging about exercise and eating smart yet you see no results. I have a co-worker like this. She refuses to weigh herself and only judges her success by how she "feels". Yet, since last May, I've lost 52 pounds and she looks the same. She says she runs so much and so intensely and eats like a rabbit but I don't see any results. Makes no difference to me....I'm the better person for actually working hard and getting results. Talk is cheap.

I have an idea.....start a Biggest Loser challenge and see how this guy puts up or shuts up!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Sound like my office but yours is times 10. I have folks coming in telling me about their skinny teas, magic detoxes, refusals to eat any fruit of any kind because of the sugar in them but I see you eating prepackaged weight loss products, plus you decided to stop eating meat because your relative is vegan but you're now acting like a mad cow who is hungry and cranky. I mean yeah, the list could go on but why? I just don't care. I just smile and press my lips together to keep quiet. It's their lives if they want to be miserable trying to lose weight I can't help you. They've asked me what I've been doing and I said, "Reducing my calories, upping my water, and moving more." The expression if often get is :\ or :| . Like, "That's it?" Yup. No waist trainers, no shakes, no wraps, no teas, no pills, nothing. HOWEVER if that's what gets other people by then so be it. I just don't have time to police others I just wish them well and hope they're being safe.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Gosh you are making me wanna punch him in the face, well done for keeping your cool (so far) :)

Oh and this, yes. I want to punch him too and I don't even know the poor guy lol.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    most of that I would ignore and just kinda laugh to myself in my head about, I have noticed there are alot of people who "want" to lose weight and kid themselves into thinking they are actually trying, but really they don't actually want to work for it

the temperature, yeah i would smack the *kitten* out of him for that :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i think you need to start a blog here and relay stories of his on a regular basis.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I worked in HR, but this sounds odd.
    2 harassment claims should have got him fired.

The other stuff, proclaiming his new "healthy" ways, chewing too loud, eating like a weird dog, ect... It sounds like he's just annoying, and there's really nothing that can be done about that if he's otherwise doing his job.

If he's litterally shoving things in your face, and continues after you tell him that it's unacceptable, that would be more of an HR issue. Or if others explained their discomfort with the temp, especially the co-worker going through chemo, HR would certainly need to get involved due to "reasonable accommodations" and all that for your co-worker. The annoying guy doesn't NEED the temp to be that low, plus it's not fair. It really should be the supervisor or manager over that department that handles these issues though.

I wouldn't be able to put up with such a person!!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I used to work with a crazy woman who would trot in to the office in the winter in shorts and sandals (very casual office) and crank up the A/C. A co-worker and I would turn it off, she'd crank it right back up as soon as she noticed. It reached a point where we brought in space heaters and put them under our desks. Then one day the owner came in and asked us why we had the heaters. She got her butt chewed for being so self-centered and was told to keep it a reasonable temp. It was a satisfying moment. :mrgreen:

I hope your guy is less stubborn!
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Send this to him.
    jlskjnx8igw3.jpg
    db.jpg 35.1K
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Maries_wine_calories Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i think you need to start a blog here and relay stories of his on a regular basis.

Yes. This. The *kitten* Diaries...
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Maries_wine_calories Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    LOL D'bag got starred!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    In fairness, I already hate this guy with a passion.

He has zero boundaries, and before he started "trying" to lose weight he used to eat a bunch of junk food in the office and would try to forcibly share, even though nobody else here eats much junk.

He would literally unwrap a mini peanut butter cup for you and hold it on his outstretched palm in front of your nose, like feeding a sugar cube to a pony.

He's been written up twice for harassing me (in non food related ways), and I try to ignore him as much as possible. But this? Makes it almost impossible.

Thermostat has been fixed, and I explained that if it's adjusted again, HR will have to mediate on an appropriate temperature. Headphones are in. Deep breaths are being taken.

Okay, there is NO way I would've been able to restrain myself in that situation. His immediate death would be the only result.
  • Sbivens2383
    Sbivens2383 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

I second this!
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    It sounds like he isn't really into weight loss. This is probably just passing fad for him. How long has this been going on? More than likely he'll fizzle out on the weight loss crap and you won't have to deal with it anymore.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Smallc10 wrote: »
    Bring in a giant bag of peanut M&Ms, put them on his desk - say peanuts are high in protein so they are good for you and that if he doesn't eat them he is actively keeping you from achieving your goals.

Then leave.

Hahaha yes! I literally cracked up when I read this :)
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    In fairness, I already hate this guy with a passion.

He has zero boundaries, and before he started "trying" to lose weight he used to eat a bunch of junk food in the office and would try to forcibly share, even though nobody else here eats much junk.

He would literally unwrap a mini peanut butter cup for you and hold it on his outstretched palm in front of your nose, like feeding a sugar cube to a pony.

He's been written up twice for harassing me (in non food related ways), and I try to ignore him as much as possible. But this? Makes it almost impossible.

Thermostat has been fixed, and I explained that if it's adjusted again, HR will have to mediate on an appropriate temperature. Headphones are in. Deep breaths are being taken.

Okay, there is NO way I would've been able to restrain myself in that situation. His immediate death would be the only result.

I would have said something like,

"I can guess where your hands have been, so get away from me or we're going to have a problem."

I have a feeling he picks on other co-workers since OP has already complained about him.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Use some of these tactics in retaliation:

Ways_c8058d_445070.jpg

ROFL
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    10Ehuw8icPxVwQ.gif

Look at him for a second, then ask him what I ask my kids when I want them to get lost:

"Do you need something to do?"