Husband won't let me get a dog unless I lose 10 lbs

Options

Replies

• tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Good God. Don't get a dog. Get a neutral third party to help you both sort this out.

It would be horribly unfair and would only increase the pressure on eeryone to bring a dog into this. It's already horribly unfair and pressure-filled to have a child in this, but the child is a given. The dog is not yet a given. Don't make it one. Please.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    You already have a dog..................it's your husband.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^ This.
  • paulamcampbell
    Options
    Yes I agree and she should tell him that the dog will be her fitness pal along with the 7 year old. And the 7 year old is probably getting ready to take on some responsibility also.
  • DenverGirl93
    DenverGirl93 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow you story sounds like a parent (your husband) talking to a child (you) . Something that I would say to my teenager..do your chores then you are rewarded. I am sorry. have no advice just shocked. But I hope you get your dog even if you dont lose the weight as you seem fine the size that you are.
  • danglarity
    danglarity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I "promised" my 13-year old daughter a dog if she maintained a 90+ average for the entire 2012-2013 school year (slap me in the mouth because she is doing it). You can see the comparison here. If that were me, hubby would come home to a kiss from me and something wet licking his ankles. Decision made!!
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    Does anyone seem to understand this is a `one sided` post

I am all for women being women and fighting for their femininity etc. but really....she has a husband that wants to eat healthily and is having arguments about her weight.

Was the OP overweight when they got married? Maybe hubby is trying to give her an incentive to lose weight in a nice way, which we are not reading from the OP`s account?

There are 2 sides to every story, don`t always condemn the person from the story of the person that you hear from first

OP is a healthy weight! Her "hubby" already has eating issues that he is trying to push on her.
  • WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    LOL how are you going to come on the forums and complain about something you created? Babydoll, you brought up the weight loss/ dog trade so if you want that dog SQUAT lol. In all seriousness if you cant stick to a diet and lose ten pound or even 5 then how will you stick to the responsibility of caring for another animal? You already have ALOT of animals dear maybe clean out the cat pantry then bring it up ;D.
  • WhyFlowersExist
    Options
    Does anyone seem to understand this is a `one sided` post

I am all for women being women and fighting for their femininity etc. but really....she has a husband that wants to eat healthily and is having arguments about her weight.

Was the OP overweight when they got married? Maybe hubby is trying to give her an incentive to lose weight in a nice way, which we are not reading from the OP`s account?

There are 2 sides to every story, don`t always condemn the person from the story of the person that you hear from first

OP is a healthy weight! Her "hubby" already has eating issues that he is trying to push on her.

Maybe i read the original post wrong but didnt she say SHE wanted to lose weight for herself?
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    He sounds like a sociopath and if he is, he probably wont go to counseling bc in his mind, he is always right. I used to be married to one. I walked on pins and needles for ten wasted years. Just sayin'
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'd get a DIVORCE and a dog! :)
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I like a controlling man. :blushing:
  • WhyFlowersExist
    Options
    I like a controlling man. :blushing:

Problem solved!! Hand your man over OP lol
  • DestinyS29
    DestinyS29 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my marriage. My ex was a bigger guy so the control issues weren't weight related but there were other things he controlled. It wasn't healthy and even after much personal and couple counseling our problems just got bigger and bigger till they ended. I'm a crazy dog lady (Ok not really I only have two little pups) but I wouldn't advise bringing a dog in until you figure out where things stand between the two of you. I hope your talk goes well and maybe you can work on the control issues and if things get better then hopefully he will be ready for a pup too. I wish you the best and I sure hope you get that doggy! (And YAY for rescue pup/dogs!!!! :happy: )
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Did you miss the part where she's already at a healthy weight for her height? Looking at her profile pic, she's probably got some decent lean body mass too. She may never lose 10 pounds unless she does something unhealthy. Her husband has issues, that should not keep her from living her life.

Did you miss the part where she said:
    I acknowledge that I could lose some weight and am working on it, ideally would like to get to around 121.

I suspect she knows if she wants to lose 10 lbs better than you or I.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend knows not to pull stuff like this...
    Lose 10 pounds and get a dog...

Oh the fun I could have with that
    Clean the house and you can have sex
    Forget about going to the football match and you can have sex

The list is endless!!! :tongue:

Ps go out and buy yourself TWO dogs.

Good luck x
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

What if you turn the little dial on the scale a little bit and then weigh yourself after getting rid of some water weight at the right time of the month. That should take care of like 4-6 lbs and then the cheating with the scale dial should take care of the rest. Make sure you get him drunk first so he doesn't notice the cheating.:drinker:
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    A dog will love you unconditional, I dont think your hubby does.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    He sounds like one of those psychos that would accuse the dog of trying to dominate him. Then go Cesar Millan on the poor thing. :noway:

Honestly. I'm sure this ****head is stressing you out, your dog would pick up on that and be driven neurotic by all the crazy signals being shot at him. Don't get a dog until you guys sort your problems (and priorities) out.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Tell him the dog is going to be your exercise partner.

This ^^^ Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Good God. Don't get a dog. Get a neutral third party to help you both sort this out.

It would be horribly unfair and would only increase the pressure on eeryone to bring a dog into this. It's already horribly unfair and pressure-filled to have a child in this, but the child is a given. The dog is not yet a given. Don't make it one. Please.

^^^ this 1000x

At first I thought this OP is trolling,.... profile not filled up, only 5 friends, 1 photo.....

If you (OP) are for real, I have only two solutions for you: therapy or divorce - you both need a lot of help, please go get it!