WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2015

Options

Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Janet - yep, that was on my list, too, and happy dance for 50 pounds! We're so hooked on those zero milestones, aren't we?

Katla - now THAT is going to be stuck in my head all day, thankyouverymuch! :)

Carol in NC - I keep reading and re-reading that title, and hard as I try, I keep seeing it as "From Fat to Thin, BUTT Back Again." This may be because I am mildly (largely) overendowed in the um, nether regions. A little too much sand in the bottom of the hourglass, if you get my drift. Ahem.

I'll stop. :*

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Kim: I'm in Canada...no Trader Joe's here that I'm aware of...sigh

Heather: So glad you had a good time with your son. :) Have a wonderful trip home.

April Goals

1. Do menu planning and cooking for April. - Celebrate with a massage when the planning is complete. (Completed! Yay! and the massage was lovely)

2. Eat 3 meals a day - Blue Star! (I ate 3 meals a day ... did I celebrate with a blue star..nope!)

3. Log all meals - Purple Star! (I logged all meals...did I celebrate No)

4. Review next day's menu when making supper and take out appropriate meat from freezer. - Red Star! (I only did this a couple of times...did I celebrate Nope)

5. Do 10 reps of the clam exercise before getting out of bed each morning. Give yourself a Gold star! (Not sure I even did this once...couldn't tell because I didn't have any stars on my calendar!)

Apparently I'm not very good at celebrating my successes! What the heck is that all about anyway? I struggled to be consistent with my first 3 goals although I thought I had developed these into a habit. I'm not sure why I didn't get the 2 new goals accomplished much at all. I'll have to think some more on that.

Thought for the day: “You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.” ~ Margaret Thatcher

Carey-Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    damnit - i wouldn't mind 10-12 invading the cabana, the more the merrier!! and i haven't fully decided if i'm going to do another marathon.

momkim - i can relate to your situation with regards to your furniture n budget. when i left my first husband, i left with my clothes, 2 forks, 2 spoons, 2 knives, 2 plates, 2 glasses & my tupperware; nothing else. all my stuff that i got was in the alley, given to me, etc.. i slept on the floor (i did take his sleeping bag) and that was it. there is no shame in starting from scratch or where you get your stuff.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy thurs.Hubby is taking out to lunch for an early b/day celebration as he works on my b/day
    Have a great day.
    hugs
    jane
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm baaaaack! ! ! ! ! ! Hooray, hooray! So tired zzzzzzzzzzz. :)

Katla - The station with the takeaway sushi concession is the biggest one in Britain - Waterloo. All kinds of retail therapy there. I bought a big box of sushi, but as I was earlier than I expected I saved it until I got home.
    This trip I ate sushi going up, fish curry while I was there, grilled tuna for lunch today and sushi tonight. I will look like a fish! ! ! ! :D
    It was nice to see my friends. The husband shared a flat with my ex, then my boyfriend, at university. We've kept in touch over the years. One thing I hate is that the wife, whom I'm very fond of, keeps on putting her husband down and it makes me very uncomfortable. He bears it all with a good grace and they've been together nearly 50 years, but I don't like it at all. :|
    She did say I was looking sexy and glamorous! But she does her best to look grungy and old. :ohwell:

Over on calories today as the only exercise I've had is dragging my bag through London on the underground. Back to it with a vengeance tomorrow.
    My pirate candles arrived today. They are small, but perfectly formed. :laugh: I will make blue, yellow and green butter icing tomorrow and finish the cake on Saturday. The party is Sunday afternoon.

So, early night tonight. :yawn:

Gilly - I had two small children when I actually wrote the book. My life was very staid and I was wrestling with depression and a sense of life passing me by. Amazing what the imagination can dream up! The scenes at the hospital, morgue, funeral director etc were more or less true as my DSIL had been killed in a car accident in 1975. She and her husband lived in the same house as us. Extraordinary times. Have a great trip! I love trains.

Best love to you all. Bye for now, Heather, on the sofa in Hampshire UK :D

27681614.png
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday ! ! !

I totally believe everyone about not keeping my phone in my bra-ket. However, after last night, it will still be put there while I am driving my car. If it had been in my purse on the seat next to me, there’s no way I would have been able to call the police after the young man rear-ended me, because my purse was thrown to the floor where I could not reach. For other times, I will start looking for a case and carrier, so I can keep it on my hip or somewhere else safe.

Cindy – good luck keeping your travel food under control.

Carol – Prayers!

Linda – (and everyone else who is new to this board) Welcome. Congrats on quitting smoking, and starting a new healthy lifestyle.

Meg – I’ve also noticed young people who try to get baby to drink an entire bottle without burping at least once. Nursed babies burp when changing sides, so a bottlefed baby should do the same. It’s just so hard to convince our kids that we know what we’re talking about. Hugs and prayers for all of you.

Godmomkim – Wow. That is helicopter parenting, for sure. I’m glad you now know how to dress yourself :) (lol)

Heather – Hugs for you and DS and the depression.

Gilly – safe and healthy travels.

Lisa – thanks for sharing about the surgery differences. They do sound more different than I had imagined. Hugs for your job, and the company. I like “ . . .Butt back again”. It’s catchy and funny.

Janet – I’m sure hubby and the mechanics are aware, but don’t forget to have the alternator checked, too.

Since I never had surgery when I herniated a disc in 1992, the muscles in my back tighten and spasm after even a minor car accident, so I did make an appt to see the MD where I work. He said I have typical symptoms of a bulging disc, which didn't surprise me. He gave me a few muscle relaxers so I can sleep at night. No pain meds, and no shot, as I will be able to manage my pain if I am well rested. I also talked to the Physical Therapists, so I can keep exercising a little, and get back to normal as quickly as possible. I made it 10 minutes on the bike this morning, and 4 minutes on the handbike at lunch. As long as I get up and stretch often, things will be okay. I just need to figure out where to cut back calories and fat, since my exercise will be reduced a little for a few days. I'm thinking supper, since I shouldn't save so many calories for that late into the evening anyway.

Now, time to do a google search for an iPhone case and/or carrier.

Everyone, Hugs all around ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I decided when I got home the lawn did not need mowed so do that another day. Food was better last evening, still over some but better and I will take that.

Heather--I started reading your book last evening and ended up reading the whole thing. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.Sounds like you are having a good trip and visit with DS.

Carol--Sending prayers for DD and the job.

Linda--Welcome. You have come to a great place for friendship and support. Come often.

Tonight we have a spring concert to attend for DGD that is in kindergarden. Some friends that lived out of state for the last 10+ years are camping at the lake just outside of town. Want to meet with them to catch up after the concert. So will be a late night. I have to be up at 4:30 to work in the morning. Then tomorrow evening we have our monthy CMA meeting and I have to get the agenda made out. Time is flying by so fast. It will get done.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I went swimming with my friends and came home and did my kickboxing. now I have to spend the rest of the day cleaning and shining up the house. We have a showing scheduled for tomorrow evening. I really hope we get an offer soon!

Kim - I am just like you I grew up on hand me downs and hand me over just like you . How did you sleep on the opposite side of the bed last night?

Joyce - I don't know about your church but ours has a program that is in place for people in the area that are in need of help from time to time. They would come over and help you move things around yard work, housework things like that.

Heather - I'm glad that you had a nice visit with your son. Have a good day with your friends and train ride back home.

Gilly - it is hard to keep up on here! I just checked two or three times a day. Have a fun mini break!

Lisa - you can change your title to finally, the weight is over, or is it?

Janet - yay on the 1 / 2 pound loss! 50 pounds lost will be exciting when you get there!

Katla - thanks for the reminder! This month has gone really fast.

Carol from NC - that call that you got about your speed of walking was a great NSV!

Carey - I think the three goals that you did master are excellent goals congratulations!

Terri - I hope the muscle relaxers work for your back pain. If anything they should relax you enough so that you can sleep. I had to stop taking flexeral for my tight muscles because it wrecked my eyesight and I didn't know that that was a side effect. I just thought my eyes were blurry because of age.

Vicki - have fun watching your granddaughter concert. it will be fun meeting up with your friends after such a long time apart. it will probably energize you for tomorrow morning.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    OMG..how do you all keep up? I log in at lunchtime and there are SO many posts..LOL...Happy Thursday so ready for a weekend!
  • prarie
    prarie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am back on MFP and afraid to weigh myself until I "feel" I have lost weight! Idiot! Right?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,065 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Good afternoon,

Carol prayers for your DD and job situation.

Went to Art in Bloom at our art museum today with a couple of friends and then out to lunch at a restaurant we could eat outside on such a beautiful day. Local florist use a work of art as inspiration to create a floral arrangement to accompany the work of art. They only have it for four days.

Here are a few of my favorites. 1gru1huidwz2.jpg
    ywtgnzvk4k6s.jpg
    gdvj814l008r.jpg
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, just a quick round of good wishes. Long day, now in kind of a funk (Mom sick and refuses to listen to a single suggestion; last day at old job and exactly one person said something as I left the building) and too tired to respond better.

Better next time.
    Cynthia
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

A driver is pulled over by a policeman and the policeman approaches the drivers door.

"Is there a problem, Officer?"

The policeman says, "Sir, you were speeding. Can I see your license please?"

The driver responds, "I'd give it to you but I don't have one."

"You don't have one?"

The man responds, "I lost it four times for drunk driving."

The policeman is shocked. "I see. Can I see your vehicle registration papers please?"

"I'm sorry, I can't do that."

The policeman says, "Why not?"

"I stole this car."

The officer says, "Stole it?"

The man says, "Yes, and I killed the owner."

At this point the officer is getting irate. "You what?"

"She's in the trunk if you'd like to see."

The Officer looks at the man and slowly backs away to his car and calls for back up. Within minutes, five police cars show up, surrounding the car. A senior officer slowly approaches the car, clasping his half-drawn gun.

The senior officer says, "Sir, could you step out of your vehicle please!"

The man steps out of his vehicle. "Is there a problem, sir?"

"One of my officers told me that you have stolen this car and murdered the owner."

"Murdered the owner?"

The officer responds, "Yes, could you please open the trunk of your car please?"

The man opens the trunk, revealing nothing.

The officer says, "Is this your car sir?"

The man says, "Yes" and hands over the registration papers.

The officer, understandably, is quite stunned. "One of my officers claims that you do not have a driving licence."

The man digs in his pocket revealing a wallet and hands it to the officer. The officer opens the wallet and examines the licence. He looks quite puzzled. "Thank you, sir. One of my officers told me you didn't have a licence, stole this car, and murdered the owner."

The man replies, "I bet you the liar told you I was speeding, too!"

:D
  • pipcd34
    Options
    prarie wrote: »
    I am back on MFP and afraid to weigh myself until I "feel" I have lost weight! Idiot! Right?

uhhhhhhhh, I wouldn't say idiot butttttttttt I would say and don't take this wrong, suck it up. see where you are at, weigh yourself
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all those who kindly responded to my situation w/husband. It appears he does not want to actually go do anything with me; but wants me to stay home (the gun may be the best suggestion).
    So presenting a smiling, positive, sympathetic face! Going to just keep doing my thing and ignore negativity - life is too short.

Mollywhippet - thank you for your jokes, they are great!
    Good things this week - swam this am, productive at work, have some clothes will pass on (trying to declutter).

Linda in Calif
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,
    I love it when I can read in groups of 40-50 instead of being behind!!!

So Yes Janet, my mom picked out the pattern, the fabric, and made all of my clothes (including undergarments) then laid them out for each day. It was a true labor of love that I HATED. The teasing in the locker room when we changed for PE and I had homemade panties and bras, all white all “mom” style. I was never in fashion. But the upside is now I don’t care about fashion I always like to be “well turned out” but not a fashion plate. Clean, neat, classic is my fashion style.

Amazing but true, I slept fine on Levi’s side, he was not as happy about it all and slept as close as possible, he’ll adjust.

So the thing I don’t think I have shared or maybe not shared enough; is that my Dad was wonderful. He made living with my mom ok, he never undermined her, but would try to get me to see that she was doing her best, wanted the best for me…. When things were really bad he would find a way to ease the situation. He bought me my first “adult” dress, panty hose, shoes and underwear for my 8th grade graduation. The only thing I wanted for graduation was to go in store bought clothes. I am daddy’s girl and miss him still. He died in 1979 of a heart attack – medicine has learned so much since then; so many have been saved.

Margaret the pictures and flowers are stunning.

I don’t remember who said they liked seeing the “fun thing log” but I was glad I did that, it some weeks motivated me and some weeks helped me acknowledge/remember that there had been more than just work in the week. I’ll be continuing that as a May goal. My success or lack in my April goals re-affirms that I am taking the scenic path to weight loss as the direct path would use the tool I know works…Logging!

April goals:
    Walk every day 100%
    Log all bites everyday - almost never logged – oh my! But did not gain or lose…
    Eat slower – 40%
    Plan and do a fun thing every week 100%
    Week 1 – went to Hakone gardens it is a beautiful Japanese garden established in 1917 and just amazing.
    Week 2 – easter (?)
    Week 3 - leaving in a minute to go to a gardening party hosted by Monrovia Growers that a gal in Garden Club invited and bought me a ticket to go to - a new friend!
    Week 4 – back at my hiking club nice to see everyone again and to do the walk without any ankle pain.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png

• patmid
    patmid Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I know how you feel, I was exactly the same, but having joined MFP again I knew I had to have a starting weight, so I bit the bullet and weighed myself. It was good to know in first week that I had lost 3lbs, but I know I can do better and it has spurred me on to improve my choices this week. Good luck, face the demon scales and let us know how you are getting on.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    patmid wrote: »

I know how you feel, I was exactly the same, but having joined MFP again I knew I had to have a starting weight, so I bit the bullet and weighed myself. It was good to know in first week that I had lost 3lbs, but I know I can do better and it has spurred me on to improve my choices this week. Good luck, face the demon scales and let us know how you are getting on.

LOLOLOL... that was a really nice way of saying what I said... hopefully she will suck it up and face the demon :0)
    we've all been there and it does suck
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Blaize is in the BAD books as he shredded the coverings on Mildred's lounge seat outside. Oh dear he is just a puppy Stan he did not know it was Mildred's favourite seat. oops
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Prarie - weighing yourself is a starting point, but so is taking your measurements and pictures. If you eat at a deficit and do some type of exercise you should see a change in your body. If you are doing both of those you will be very successful! Move more eat less. Welcome to this thread!

MNMargaret - thanks for the art work that you shared with us! . It felt like I was there!

Mary from Minnesota