124»

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is delicious and I cook with it regularly...but it is not a magical weight loss aid. To boot, most of the health claims that are made really have no basis in actual fact.

What I find really interesting though is that not that long ago, coconut oil was considered the most evil of all dietary fats...just goes to show you, todays devil may be tomorrows miracle from heaven.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    itstimeRK wrote: »
    On a slightly related note- another myth I've heard about coconut oil is that it works as an alternative for sunscreen. This is not true, as it does not provide sufficient SPF blockage.

That is funny. When I was young, back before tanning was bad and sunscreen was common, we used to put coconut oil on to increase our tan. :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Coconut oil is delicious and I cook with it regularly...but it is not a magical weight loss aid. To boot, most of the health claims that are made really have no basis in actual fact.

What I find really interesting though is that not that long ago, coconut oil was considered the most evil of all dietary fats...just goes to show you, todays devil may be tomorrows miracle from heaven.

Most nutrition sites (those hosted by medical or health agencies) I've read are still guarded in their recommendation of it. Mostly due to the lack of science where it's concerned.
  • jetsman32
    jetsman32 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Actually it depends on your current all around diet. I eat low carb high fat LCHF (65% 25% protein and 10% carbs). For me coconut oil is an absolute must. I use 1-2 tablespoons a day to cook or in my coffee to make sure I am eating enough fat calories. BTW- I've lost 30lbs in 3 months on this plan and I'm almost never hungry. Coconut oil also contains MCT's which studies show have a number of health and satiation benefits. Here is an article for more info: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa23.htm