New Orleans or Key West?

Replies

• SniffyDoodle
    SniffyDoodle Posts: 129
    New Orleans. I used to live there. It rocks. Save up your calories all day and eat at Mother's in the CBD. Get a debris roast beef po' boy. Don't ask for anything different on it, just eat it the way it comes. They'll send you to the back of the line if you ask for something extra. ZOMG. So jealous.

What's CBD?

LOL @ sending people to the back of the line!

Central Business District. It's on the outskirts of the Quarter.

Thanks!!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    If single go to NOLA.

It's SO fun!

Key West is a such a lovely and fun place for couples.
    Just my opinion.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Personally I'm not a big fan of New Orleans. It's okay for a day or two, but it's not somewhere I'd choose to vacation. I went to college about 1.5 hours away and frequented the city a lot. Mardi Gras was fun (obviously) but we went during an "off" week and it looked like a ghost town.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Been to both, LOVE Key West, not much of a fan of New Orleans.
  • Shampres
    Shampres Posts: 64 Member
    Been to both. Key West is beautiful but the drive isn't so much fun because it's so swampy is South Florida. New Orleans has a unique culture and the people are super friendly. A lot of the "to-do" in New Orleans is booze but there's a lot to do otherwise too, like Jackson Square and the Aquarium and the cemeteries. Key West is laid back and there's touristy stuff to do, but he best part is the reef and water sports. The most beautiful sunrise/sunset I've ever seen was in Key West. If it were me, with a couple days and the drive through South Florida, I'd go to New Orleans but you're bound to have a great time at either destination.
  • Mary9921
    Mary9921 Posts: 100 Member
    I'd choose Key West in a heartbeat!!

Found New Orleans kinda dirty....

I live about 300 miles north of Key West and would love to go down there again some time soon. I go to Key Largo almost once a week...It's like a whole different world in the Keys....very laid back way of life...very relaxing

Beautiful weather, beaches, people, etc.... :drinker:
  • SniffyDoodle
    I lived in Florida my whole life so, I'm a die-hard salt life, salt water girl. (and now I live in Eastern Washington State - OY!) :laugh: If your husband is an outdoors kinda guy, I'd go with Key West. It's gorgeous, great places to dine, local shops. With that being said, if you don't have time because of the drive to really enjoy it (FISHING!) ....I'd go with NOLA. I love it there. It's fun, plenty to do, you'll get plenty of walking in also :wink: Although, the beignets, hurricanes, gumbo, boudin, and po' boys may negate all the cardio you get while walking. LOL

Either way, you'll have a good time, I'm sure. Watch the weather though, they're predicting a lot of named storms this year. Most of all, have fun with your hubby and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ! :flowerforyou:

Aw, thanks!!

I live in Florida, so I always watch the weather... I think we'll be safe this early in the season, and so close to our trip with no storms out there at the moment. :)

The more I think about it, the more I think that more money for less time seems silly. I don't want to be rushing to get there to only have a few hours on the town. Ya know?

If we left for Key West at 5am we wouldn't get there until 1pm, and that's if we made absolutely no stops. We'd have late afternoon and evening, the night in the hotel, then we'd have to leave early Tuesday afternoon to head back home. We'd spend about $100 on gas, average seems to be about $160 on a room (prefer a B&B).

If we caught the 6:55am flight to New Orleans we'd be there around 7:25am. We would have all day on Monday and could potentially stay in the area until around 4pm on Tuesday. Cost.... about $8 on a bus if we choose cheap transportation, or $80 for cabs + $120 for the hotel I want to stay in.
  • SniffyDoodle
    Ugh, this is not helping as much as I had hoped! I wish we could fly to Key West!!! Problem solved!! LOL
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member

Aw, thanks!!

I live in Florida, so I always watch the weather... I think we'll be safe this early in the season, and so close to our trip with no storms out there at the moment. :)

The more I think about it, the more I think that more money for less time seems silly. I don't want to be rushing to get there to only have a few hours on the town. Ya know?

If we left for Key West at 5am we wouldn't get there until 1pm, and that's if we made absolutely no stops. We'd have late afternoon and evening, the night in the hotel, then we'd have to leave early Tuesday afternoon to head back home. We'd spend about $100 on gas, average seems to be about $160 on a room (prefer a B&B).

If we caught the 6:55am flight to New Orleans we'd be there around 7:25am. We would have all day on Monday and could potentially stay in the area until around 4pm on Tuesday. Cost.... about $8 on a bus if we choose cheap transportation, or $80 for cabs + $120 for the hotel I want to stay in.

The bus line runs from New Orleans to Kenner (like $2 or so) and you can take the Ferry to Algiers. Also, the cable cars run up and down Canal Street so you shouldn't have to pay anything for cabs. I recommend the Doubletree downtown. It's the cheapest hotel for the location it has.
  • SniffyDoodle

Aw, thanks!!

The bus line runs from New Orleans to Kenner (like $2 or so) and you can take the Ferry to Algiers. Also, the cable cars run up and down Canal Street so you shouldn't have to pay anything for cabs. I recommend the Doubletree downtown. It's the cheapest hotel for the location it has.

We just stayed at a Doubletree in Baltimore last weekend. It was really nice!!! But if we go to New Orleans I really want to stay in one of the old mansion/hotels that are supposed to be haunted.

At the moment, I'm thinking this place: http://www.hotelprovincial.com/

Yes? No? Good? Bad? Other suggestions?
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    I lived in Florida my whole life so, I'm a die-hard salt life, salt water girl. (and now I live in Eastern Washington State - OY!) :laugh: If your husband is an outdoors kinda guy, I'd go with Key West. It's gorgeous, great places to dine, local shops. With that being said, if you don't have time because of the drive to really enjoy it (FISHING!) ....I'd go with NOLA. I love it there. It's fun, plenty to do, you'll get plenty of walking in also :wink: Although, the beignets, hurricanes, gumbo, boudin, and po' boys may negate all the cardio you get while walking. LOL

Either way, you'll have a good time, I'm sure. Watch the weather though, they're predicting a lot of named storms this year. Most of all, have fun with your hubby and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ! :flowerforyou:

Aw, thanks!!

Though you can walk it, the Quarter does get small after a while. It would probably be cheaper to rent a car.

http://www.neworleanscvb.com/things-to-do/
  • AllTehBeers

Aw, thanks!!

We just stayed at a Doubletree in Baltimore last weekend. It was really nice!!! But if we go to New Orleans I really want to stay in one of the old mansion/hotels that are supposed to be haunted.

LOL actually a good friend of mine worked there for a while. Her supervisor was a *****, but it is exactly what you want. Old and creaky.

If you want to stay right in the center of it all, I suggest The Omni, The Royal Sonesta or The Monteleone. They're better quality but with a New Orleans feel.
  • SniffyDoodle

Aw, thanks!!

Though you can walk it, the Quarter does get small after a while. It would probably be cheaper to rent a car.

http://www.neworleanscvb.com/things-to-do/

Since we'd only be there Monday and part of Tuesday, "small" is probably not going to be an issue. And I've heard that when you consider the cost of parking renting a car is expensive and unnecessary. Do you have a different perspective on that? Is there free or cheap parking that would make renting a car a better option?

Great link! Thanks!!
  • SniffyDoodle

Aw, thanks!!

LOL actually a good friend of mine worked there for a while. Her supervisor was a *****, but it is exactly what you want. Old and creaky.

If you want to stay right in the center of it all, I suggest The Omni, The Royal Sonesta or The Monteleone. They're better quality but with a New Orleans feel.

I want "haunted"... LOLOL!! I have a goal list, and staying in a supposedly haunted hotel is on it!! Are any of those "haunted"??
  • AllTehBeers
    I want "haunted"... LOLOL!! I have a goal list, and staying in a supposedly haunted hotel is on it!! Are any of those "haunted"??

This I can't help you with. While there is LOTS of voodoo culture here, "haunted" is something kind of ambiguous.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    New Orleans....for the food.
  • AllTehBeers

Since we'd only be there Monday and part of Tuesday, "small" is probably not going to be an issue. And I've heard that when you consider the cost of parking renting a car is expensive and unnecessary. Do you have a different perspective on that? Is there free or cheap parking that would make renting a car a better option?

Great link! Thanks!!

Most hotels have valet parking but it usually starts at $30 (plus the rental cost) you'd be better to do a cab.
  • SniffyDoodle
    New Orleans....for the food.

Love me some good food! Lots of people are saying New Orleans for the food. There must be some seriously good food there! :D
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    I like to wander around the cemeteries in New Orleans. Really beautiful.