The truth about "I still eat the foods I love"

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Supplies-Needed.jpg
    Here we go. A picture of one of the single servings beside a spoon. LOL tell me that's more than 4 spoonfuls. If you think it is you're drinking the Kool-aid a bit. Again, not that it's wrong to resign yourself to only eat that. That's not what I'm saying. My argument is that talking about it in a way that seems bragging is silly.

Nothing wrong with this amount. Would fit into the smaller bowls I typically use for ice cream (i.e. no longer using large soup bowls for ice cream). Could easily last a good 10 minutes.

dreyers-slow-churned-mint-chip.jpg
    EdysSlowChurnedChocolateandChocolateChip.jpg
    Looks reasonable and generous to me.
  • MarkJCherry
    MarkJCherry Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big fan of sweets so I'm fortunate there. I've removed high calorie ingredients from things I love. For instance, I used to take a can of tuna, mix in some mayo, some relish, and put it on toast. Now I take a can of tuna, mix in some relish, and wrap it in lettuce. Nix the bread and the mayo and it's much healthier. I don't use dressings on salad any more.

Perhaps my biggest change was cutting back on the amount of pop I drink. It was pretty much all I drank. Now I have 1-2 20oz bottles of diet pepsi a week, if that. I used to have 3 Amps (the energy drink) a day, I've had one this year.

Some things just can't be done different though. For instance, Skyline Chili. Here it's about changing quantity and my intake pattern. I'll do a small 4-way bean (430 calories) instead of a regular (850), and one coney (290 calories) instead of 3. My stomach has shrunk as I've gotten used to eating less, too. That's still an incredibly dense meal, and I'll spend most of the day leading up to Skyline eating very low calorie foods.

I've also switched my snacking habit. For me this isn't a big deal - I was never big on chips. Now I snack on vegetables. They have water in them, and are very filling. I was hungry when I woke up, so instead of waiting until my usual breakfast (which would have been torment as it was an hour or so away) I had a thing of greek yogurt and a handful of snap peas - about 70 calories. Last night before bed I wanted something to snack on, so again I had snap peas. Very healthy, low calorie, crunchy and tasty. They work perfectly.

But the most important change I made was tracking every last calorie I put in. When you look at each meal as a fraction of a limited amount of calories for the day (I'm limiting myself to 1200) every last bit counts. I looked at candy bars the other day, and walked away when none of them were under 200 calories. My protein bars are 160 and keep me sated for about 3 hours.

Another trick is not looking at your stomach like a gas tank that you fill and go. I no longer have a leaden feel in my gut - which I never realized was there until it went away. A little bit of food holds me over for a couple hours, then I have some more. Now even McDonalds isn't a terrible option - a McChicken with no mayo is 250 calories and a buck. Sure it's not a Big Mac, but that's way more food than I can eat anyway, now, too!

It took some restraint when I first started, but I've lost over 140lbs since
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    If a small serving of ice cream isn't "worth it," then you need to evaluate why you'd consider a "food you love."

Honestly, if you need a full pint to feel like you got your ice cream on, you might be either buying crappy ice cream or eating too fast. Or maybe you just don't like ice cream as much as you think you do. Everyone needs to examine his or her own TRUE preferences and loves. Shoving food in your face without thinking about it isn't a love, it's a bad habit. When you break down tasty treats into proper portion sizes, it doesn't take that much to fit them into even a fairly low calorie limit. (I was eating premium gelato every night when I was at 1300, and I didn't have to starve myself all day to do it.) And, if you take the time to enjoy your treats, they will satisfy you.

^^This. Seriously.

And considering that, in my experience, most ice cream is ~160 calories per serving, its really not that hard to fit it in.
    Most Ben & Jerry's seem to be 250+ a serving. I get fitting in a serving is possible I just don't think one single serving is a practical size for a normal human. It's like 3 bites.

Honestly I don't buy the 250+ calorie a serving ice cream much because I tend to agree that it's just not much food. That being said, I had some 290 calorie Haagen Dazs ice cream yesterday, and not even half a serving, and it was actually enough... because I took my time and enjoyed every bite. I do make it a point though not to do anything else when I eat my dessert... I mean, sure, if you mindlessly eat your ice cream while watching TV, a whole pint might not even be enough... but you can try and learn not to do that.

I would probably have laughed at you a year ago if you had told me that I would be happy with one square of chocolate... but I am. I just eat it in 2-3 bites instead of one.

I mean, once I realized that I had to either give it up (and probably binge on it later) or learn to appreciate smaller portions, the choice was actually pretty simple.

I however still avoid perishables that have a bazillion calories like brownies unless I have 500 calories to use up on one (and I can find a 500 calories brownie, and not a 2000 calorie brownie pan that I'll probably not be able to finish before it gets bad).
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    BTW - my diary is open.....my diet (nutrition wise) is awful. But I'm still losing weight by fitting all my junk food into my calorie goals.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    P3100726.jpg
    Here we go. A regular size pint next time a "serving" of Ben & Jerry's. Sad small container is sad.

The listed serving size here is larger than the typical serving size for my Breyer's ice cream, which I consider to be a fairly reasonable and enjoyable serving size. It's also lower in calorie than my Breyer's.

So................ why complain.
    I was pointing out what a "serving" of Ben & Jerry's really looks like. See how tiny that container is? You're telling me that's more than like 4 spoonfuls? As for the pint, it looks like it's something soy based. For the record, I eat pints of Halo Top protein ice cream. 300 calories a pint give or take, 24g of protein. It's not Ben & Jerry's but it tastes better than Arctic Zero and it's easy on the macros.

FYI, I would probably choke trying to eat that container in 4 bites. It's definitely more than that.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    This pretty much echoes my feelings but you do have to keep in mind the different calorie goals people have. It's definitely eye roll inducing to hear someone bragging about how they eat ice cream every day only to see they're putting down a whopping 3 spoonfuls in the middle of the 1600 calories they're allotted. On the flip side of that you do have people who are really eating a pint of ice cream after a half of a pizza because they're bulking or they have a job that requires they walk 9 million miles a day on top of the 2 hours they work out each day. The real takeaway is don't put so much stock in other people. Mostly because people are crap but also because you have to do what works for you because that's all that really matters.

You're still here?

Stating that one eats x and y within their calories isn't bragging. Doesn't matter if their goal is 1500 calories or 3000 calories.

You really need to stop complaining about this subject ad nauseam.

It's kind of bragging. It usually follows someone saying how they gave up something and it helped them. Right off the bat you'll get 10 "but I eat X and Y daily!!!!!!" OK. So? Good for you that you want to squeeze in .3454545 nano liters of ice cream a day but to some people it's not even worth it. It's basically people wanting to brag about how wild and free they are with their food when really they're almost insanely controlled with it.

You are reading into what is said and filtering it with your own personal struggles. People are not bragging about being wild and free, they are saying that through being controlled with intake they still fit what they enjoy in.

Exactly. I don't think anyone here is saying it's easy. It takes a lot of thought to practice moderation.

No, actually there is one guy who is like, "I eat a pint of gelato every day, nah nah nah." LOL He is clearly bragging.

Is he bulking? Working out for hours? On his feet all day?

Not bulking. As far as his activity level, I have no idea.

And that right there is the problem with people who get annoyed by those who say they can eat what they want. Everything happens in context. If the dude is burning a ton of calories every day through work and exercise he CAN have a pint of ice cream. Good for him.

Yeah, good for him. No need for him to rub it in, though.

So, I don't know who you are referring to, but I haven't seen anyone rub it in, in such a way that should cause animosity. I'd have to see the posts, but I think some of the reason why it's having such an impact is jealousy.

Oh, I am totally jealous! I wish I could eat that much and still lose. I am struggling to lose now, even though I am sticking to my calories.

Exactly. And I'm not judging you at all by the way for feeling that way. I think it's normal to have "it's not fair!" moments. I see the guys at my gym eating portions of food that I would LOVE to be able to enjoy. But, I can't be annoyed with them for eating it. And, if they would be kind enough to give me one slice out of the entire pizza they are eating, I will gladly accept it, log it and enjoy it.

• ana3067
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    This pretty much echoes my feelings but you do have to keep in mind the different calorie goals people have. It's definitely eye roll inducing to hear someone bragging about how they eat ice cream every day only to see they're putting down a whopping 3 spoonfuls in the middle of the 1600 calories they're allotted. On the flip side of that you do have people who are really eating a pint of ice cream after a half of a pizza because they're bulking or they have a job that requires they walk 9 million miles a day on top of the 2 hours they work out each day. The real takeaway is don't put so much stock in other people. Mostly because people are crap but also because you have to do what works for you because that's all that really matters.

You're still here?

Stating that one eats x and y within their calories isn't bragging. Doesn't matter if their goal is 1500 calories or 3000 calories.

You really need to stop complaining about this subject ad nauseam.

It's kind of bragging. It usually follows someone saying how they gave up something and it helped them. Right off the bat you'll get 10 "but I eat X and Y daily!!!!!!" OK. So? Good for you that you want to squeeze in .3454545 nano liters of ice cream a day but to some people it's not even worth it. It's basically people wanting to brag about how wild and free they are with their food when really they're almost insanely controlled with it.

You are reading into what is said and filtering it with your own personal struggles. People are not bragging about being wild and free, they are saying that through being controlled with intake they still fit what they enjoy in.

Exactly. I don't think anyone here is saying it's easy. It takes a lot of thought to practice moderation.

No, actually there is one guy who is like, "I eat a pint of gelato every day, nah nah nah." LOL He is clearly bragging.

Is he bulking? Working out for hours? On his feet all day?

Not bulking. As far as his activity level, I have no idea.

And that right there is the problem with people who get annoyed by those who say they can eat what they want. Everything happens in context. If the dude is burning a ton of calories every day through work and exercise he CAN have a pint of ice cream. Good for him.

Yeah, good for him. No need for him to rub it in, though.

Or perhpas you interpret it as "rubbing it in" when it isn't. As BFDeal appears to have done.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If a small serving of ice cream isn't "worth it," then you need to evaluate why you'd consider a "food you love."

Honestly, if you need a full pint to feel like you got your ice cream on, you might be either buying crappy ice cream or eating too fast. Or maybe you just don't like ice cream as much as you think you do. Everyone needs to examine his or her own TRUE preferences and loves. Shoving food in your face without thinking about it isn't a love, it's a bad habit. When you break down tasty treats into proper portion sizes, it doesn't take that much to fit them into even a fairly low calorie limit. (I was eating premium gelato every night when I was at 1300, and I didn't have to starve myself all day to do it.) And, if you take the time to enjoy your treats, they will satisfy you.

^^This. Seriously.

And considering that, in my experience, most ice cream is ~160 calories per serving, its really not that hard to fit it in.

160 calories worth of ice cream is just sad...

May be sad for you, but not for everyone. I was just discussing the same exact things about habits and our perception. I grew up eating just one serving, and often even half a serving (kid's popsicle size). It feels plenty much to me because that's the amount I've always eaten even when I weighed more than 300 pounds, and because everyone I ever knew ate 1/2-1 serving and more seemed (and still seems) unnecessary.

I think that's the point really. Everyone should find an approach that works for them and not worry about what other people are doing. 160 calories of ice cream is sad to me, and I'd rather eat the whole pint. I just find a way to eat the whole pint, even if that means I only eat 4 pints a year - to me that's moderation (moderating frequency).

I find it fascinating that even amongst people who generally agree, there's still an undercurrent of 'you're not doing it right' (General observation - not directed at you).

No disagreeing here! I do this with plenty other foods (you would never catch me having a sliver of cake). I was just disputing the generalization when another poster said 160 calories of ice cream were enough for her and people jumped on her for it. *and to be frank I quoted your post out of laziness when I wanted to quote another one*
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    1) Cake/Cookies/Chocolate - No more daily unlimited homemade cookies, cake or candy from vending machine, now fun sz pkg m&ms to savor one at a time or really good chocolate 2 pieces. Also making sweet potato brownies to help with my cake addiction and if I make cupcakes, I try to eat just one, give my family some and GIVE AWAY the rest. Can't keep high volume sweets in house!

2) Pasta - no more unlimited amounts, now 3oz with veggie loaded sauce and less meat

3) Oil - measured vs what ever I used to pour in the pan

4) Pizza - shoot for one piece of my favorite with big fresh crunchy salad, 1T dressing drizzled

5) Going out to eat - eat 1/2 and box the other 1/2 RIGHT AWAY to take home for lunch next day. Otherwise if it is in front of me I want to keep eating it.

6) Garlic Bread - make only 4 pcs not whole loaf, one piece for each of us.

7) Measure and Weigh - this is the biggest helper, when in dangerous territory I go for the suggested serving size and control most portions of everything I eat now with the exception of some raw veggies.

8) Diet Foods - I don't eat "diet foods" meaning prepackaged processed "diet" industry things. I try to eat more whole foods, cook more, and weed out the excess portions. A lot less of some things and more naturally low calorie higher nutrient things.

I have lost 46 lbs since 10/3/14 so far, and I have 110 to go.

Good luck and safe journey to you! -Nancy
  • ana3067
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    NOne of this is sacrifice, just eating reasonable portions. Should I go on to talk about how I do this with chicken, salmon, rice, fruits, veggies, oil, etc?

perhaps sacrifice is too strong a word, but it's clearly a measured change. If it weren't you wouldn't have had to make the changes to begin with, as you would have been doing this all along.
    My point of this post was that 1) It is necessary to add the modifier 'in moderation' when one says they still eat all the foods they like and more importantly 2) give some examples of what 'moderation' means to you, so that others on or beginning this change in their eating habits has an idea of what normal is (and what abnormal was).

And yet the change took virtually no effort. Once I stopped looking at food as being "bad," the only effort that was required was logging the portion before eating it.

Well, aren't you special?
    I'm not ashamed to admit, I still struggle every day. Hence, I still have 35lbs left to lose. I've actually done really well for nearly the last 2 weeks, staying in my calories nearly every day, and exercising. Alas, no weight loss yet.

No, I'm not special. I've simply pointed out that for me it was not a sacrifice and as such change was easy.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Since I'm doing this for health reasons, my form of moderation focuses on eating a LOT of nutritious foods every , and on occasion I'll eat out, have treats. y. I want to get a lot of protein, healthy fats, fiber, veggies, probiotics, etc. in every day, and I do so with foods that I really enjoy. So I don't feel deprived and usually just don't have room to add other things. However, I do eat out or have treats a few times a week as well, so I don't tell myself I can't do that either. My only problem is that I hate to cut out the nutritious foods to make room for treats, so I usually am going over my calorie goals to eat them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    Im cracking up over the argument on ice cream serving size and issue with it. Im a Ben and Jerrys girl here, and can say that half a cup is *not* three spoon fulls. I mean, if I was doing a dare for money or something, I might be able to shovel it down in three bites, but even then... Ben & Jerrys ice cream is both very firm, and also tends to be super chunky with chocolate bits and nuts and such. Id choke before I could collect my winnings LoL I dont *need* to eat 2 cups of ice cream to feel satisfied...half a cup is plenty enough, and I enjoy it so for me its worth it.

If you are a volume eater and cant be satisfied with having a bit of something, then understand, that doesnt mean being a volume eater is the *normal* way and no one on earth would be able to eat regular sized portions... Just accept that what you enjoy is the full plate / full bowl more so than the actual flavour. Theres a lot of low fat / low sugar / diet options etc, it wont have the full flavour but it will have way less calories so that you can satisfy your desire to eat more of it. Theres something for everyone.

This is me too. I have no problem eating 1 serving. I don't see it as "resigning" myself to it. Actually I prefer to do one serving even if I have calories for more, because I'd rather have one serving of B&J or Talenti and then something else too.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    P3100726.jpg
    Here we go. A regular size pint next time a "serving" of Ben & Jerry's. Sad small container is sad.

The listed serving size here is larger than the typical serving size for my Breyer's ice cream, which I consider to be a fairly reasonable and enjoyable serving size. It's also lower in calorie than my Breyer's.

I was pointing out what a "serving" of Ben & Jerry's really looks like. See how tiny that container is? You're telling me that's more than like 4 spoonfuls? As for the pint, it looks like it's something soy based. For the record, I eat pints of Halo Top protein ice cream. 300 calories a pint give or take, 24g of protein. It's not Ben & Jerry's but it tastes better than Arctic Zero and it's easy on the macros.

FYI, I would probably choke trying to eat that container in 4 bites. It's definitely more than that.

That sounds like a dare to me. Plus I need to refute the pictures of the people holding the tiny container. What's the over/under on those hands belonging to children?

So why not just choose a lower calorie ice cream? I live in VT and I still don't really like B & J's. My half cup of 160 calorie friendly's ice cream suits me just fine.
  • ana3067
    Options
    P3100726.jpg

That sounds like a dare to me. Plus I need to refute the pictures of the people holding the tiny container. What's the over/under on those hands belonging to children?

Why does it matter that children are holding it? Regardless of the size of their hands, the amount in the tub looks like a generous amount. It looks like more than I serve myself from my Breyer's ice cream, which can be eaten in about 10 minutes.

But then again, I realize that THIS is not a normal portion for someone of my size and maintenance needs:
    huge-bowl-of-ice-cream.jpg

So 60-70g of ice cream? Not disappointing. One donut instead of 4? Tasty. 30-40g of cereal instead of eating the whole box? Delightful.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    P3100726.jpg

More like 8-12 spoonfuls. Unless you take really, really big bites.

It's enough to satisfy me, IF I pick a good rich flavor. If the flavor's not that great, then I'm not satisfied even after eating a pint.

As an aside - I don't suppose you (or whomever posted that huge pic) would be willing to make it smaller? It's making the thread hard to read.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

^^This. Seriously.

160 calories worth of ice cream is just sad...

May be sad for you, but not for everyone. I was just discussing the same exact things about habits and our perception. I grew up eating just one serving, and often even half a serving (kid's popsicle size). It feels plenty much to me because that's the amount I've always eaten even when I weighed more than 300 pounds, and because everyone I ever knew ate 1/2-1 serving and more seemed (and still seems) unnecessary.

I think that's the point really. Everyone should find an approach that works for them and not worry about what other people are doing. 160 calories of ice cream is sad to me, and I'd rather eat the whole pint. I just find a way to eat the whole pint, even if that means I only eat 4 pints a year - to me that's moderation (moderating frequency).

I find it fascinating that even amongst people who generally agree, there's still an undercurrent of 'you're not doing it right' (General observation - not directed at you).

That begs the question, why do people feel compelled to share any time they see someone who does the opposite of what works for them? Someone talks about looking forward to their cheat meal, the post telling them they should stop putting toxins in their body or that calling it a "cheat" is setting up for failure is not helping them in any way. Someone talks about how they constantly overeat pasta and have to give them up for a while, the post telling them "I eat it all the time" or if they don't eat it they're guaranteed to binge is not helping them in any way.
  • ana3067
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    P3100726.jpg

It's enough to satisfy me, IF I pick a good rich flavor. If the flavor's not that great, then I'm not satisfied even after eating a pint.

As an aside - I don't suppose you (or whomever posted that huge pic) would be willing to make it smaller? It's making the thread hard to read.

MFP usually resizes it automatically, hasn't been doing that lately. Annoying as frack.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    P3100726.jpg

MFP is borking photos lately. Nothing we can do, unfortunately.

And, yeah, those single serving containers look like a normal portion to me, what I would have called "single serving" my whole life. I'm sorry someone led you to believe that a pint was what you were "supposed" to down in one.

Which brings me back to my first reply to this thread about the Hows of making treats fit. Eat small bites. Savor them. Go slowly. If you're not mindlessly inhaling your food like it's an eating competition, you'll probably start finding a proper serving to be more satisfying. Frankly, I'd get bored before I could put down a whole pint at the rate I enjoy my ice cream. It's too darn much.