Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    This pretty much echoes my feelings but you do have to keep in mind the different calorie goals people have. It's definitely eye roll inducing to hear someone bragging about how they eat ice cream every day only to see they're putting down a whopping 3 spoonfuls in the middle of the 1600 calories they're allotted. On the flip side of that you do have people who are really eating a pint of ice cream after a half of a pizza because they're bulking or they have a job that requires they walk 9 million miles a day on top of the 2 hours they work out each day. The real takeaway is don't put so much stock in other people. Mostly because people are crap but also because you have to do what works for you because that's all that really matters.

You're still here?

Stating that one eats x and y within their calories isn't bragging. Doesn't matter if their goal is 1500 calories or 3000 calories.

You really need to stop complaining about this subject ad nauseam.

It's kind of bragging. It usually follows someone saying how they gave up something and it helped them. Right off the bat you'll get 10 "but I eat X and Y daily!!!!!!" OK. So? Good for you that you want to squeeze in .3454545 nano liters of ice cream a day but to some people it's not even worth it. It's basically people wanting to brag about how wild and free they are with their food when really they're almost insanely controlled with it.

You are reading into what is said and filtering it with your own personal struggles. People are not bragging about being wild and free, they are saying that through being controlled with intake they still fit what they enjoy in.

Exactly. I don't think anyone here is saying it's easy. It takes a lot of thought to practice moderation.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If a small serving of ice cream isn't "worth it," then you need to evaluate why you'd consider a "food you love."

Honestly, if you need a full pint to feel like you got your ice cream on, you might be either buying crappy ice cream or eating too fast. Or maybe you just don't like ice cream as much as you think you do. Everyone needs to examine his or her own TRUE preferences and loves. Shoving food in your face without thinking about it isn't a love, it's a bad habit. When you break down tasty treats into proper portion sizes, it doesn't take that much to fit them into even a fairly low calorie limit. (I was eating premium gelato every night when I was at 1300, and I didn't have to starve myself all day to do it.) And, if you take the time to enjoy your treats, they will satisfy you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    This pretty much echoes my feelings but you do have to keep in mind the different calorie goals people have. It's definitely eye roll inducing to hear someone bragging about how they eat ice cream every day only to see they're putting down a whopping 3 spoonfuls in the middle of the 1600 calories they're allotted. On the flip side of that you do have people who are really eating a pint of ice cream after a half of a pizza because they're bulking or they have a job that requires they walk 9 million miles a day on top of the 2 hours they work out each day. The real takeaway is don't put so much stock in other people. Mostly because people are crap but also because you have to do what works for you because that's all that really matters.

people are crap?????????????
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

You're still here?

Stating that one eats x and y within their calories isn't bragging. Doesn't matter if their goal is 1500 calories or 3000 calories.

It's kind of bragging. It usually follows someone saying how they gave up something and it helped them. Right off the bat you'll get 10 "but I eat X and Y daily!!!!!!" OK. So? Good for you that you want to squeeze in .3454545 nano liters of ice cream a day but to some people it's not even worth it. It's basically people wanting to brag about how wild and free they are with their food when really they're almost insanely controlled with it.

You are reading into what is said and filtering it with your own personal struggles. People are not bragging about being wild and free, they are saying that through being controlled with intake they still fit what they enjoy in.

Exactly. I don't think anyone here is saying it's easy. It takes a lot of thought to practice moderation.

No, actually there is one guy who is like, "I eat a pint of gelato every day, nah nah nah." LOL He is clearly bragging.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    If a small serving of ice cream isn't "worth it," then you need to evaluate why you'd consider a "food you love."

Honestly, if you need a full pint to feel like you got your ice cream on, you might be either buying crappy ice cream or eating too fast. Or maybe you just don't like ice cream as much as you think you do. Everyone needs to examine his or her own TRUE preferences and loves. Shoving food in your face without thinking about it isn't a love, it's a bad habit. When you break down tasty treats into proper portion sizes, it doesn't take that much to fit them into even a fairly low calorie limit. (I was eating premium gelato every night when I was at 1300, and I didn't have to starve myself all day to do it.) And, if you take the time to enjoy your treats, they will satisfy you.

^^This. Seriously.

And considering that, in my experience, most ice cream is ~160 calories per serving, its really not that hard to fit it in.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

You're still here?

No, actually there is one guy who is like, "I eat a pint of gelato every day, nah nah nah." LOL He is clearly bragging.

Is he bulking? Working out for hours? On his feet all day?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't understand why "I still eat the foods I love, just less of them" is such a hard concept to grasp....

Some give detailed context. Some will do a flyby post saying "don't give it up" or "I had beer and pizza last night" with no context or explanation. OP is right, if there's enough of the second kind dogpiling on, it does read like an Amway sales pitch. Individual posts aren't usually considered in a vacuum. One person saying they save up 100 calories a day to make room for pizza on Friday looks like the odd one out when everyone else says, "eat the pizza," then doesn't post again until they see the word "clean" come up.

As for the OP -
    Mine comes from cooking from scratch. I control what goes in it, I control the portion size. That also means if I don't want it enough to go to the trouble of cooking, I'm not having it. It's a lot easier to overdo it when all you have to do is drive to a speaker or let a server hand you a plate holding enough food for 3 on it. It's also a lot easier to underestimate what you're eating when you don't make it. My pizza is under 300 calories. The place up the street where the cheese layer is 1/2 inch thick, going to set you back a half day or more.

most of the ones I see say "If I want pizza, I fit it into my day".....

Most of the "eat the pizza" comments are directed at OP's you ask "is it OK to eat pizza"....or something like that....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

You're still here?

I also don't know how felicitous it is on some accounts.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sevader wrote: »
    I honestly restricted and lost a lot of weight.. like I wouldn't even touch pizza it would make me sick and same with chips and all that crap

..... if it would make you SICK, I'm guessing you suffer(ed) from disordered eating.

McDonalds food makes me sick. No disordered eating here.

Nice, playing on semantics.

Others have pointed out that her comment demonstrated disordered eating. So, enough said.

Semantics? I'm not the one diagnosing a stranger with an ED based on a sentence about junk food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

^^This. Seriously.

And considering that, in my experience, most ice cream is ~160 calories per serving, its really not that hard to fit it in.

That would depend on the serving size.

I totally get not wanting to eat small portions of something you love. Because I feel that way about some foods.
  • PRMinx
    Options

You're still here?

All three things I acknowledge in the post Ana crapped on BTW.

Life would be so much fun if I had a job where I got a lot of activity. I would eat so much peanut butter.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Girl Scout cookies come in handy single serving packages.

I thought a sleeve WAS one serving.

• AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I do eat whatever I want and this is the first time in my life I have "Dieted" and could say that. It is also the first time in my life that I've actually taken off ALL the weight and am keeping it off.
    The only rules I have are:
    No snacking after dinner - EVER
    Log everything - ALWAYS
    Eat what I crave or I will eat way too much of everything else to try and satiate that craving.
    If I want a cookie, or chocolate I weigh out or measure the exact amount. Put it on a pretty plate. Make a perfect cup of hot coffee; find a nice quiet sunny spot and then savor the treat. (but log it and make it fit into my calorie deficit) When I savor the flavors and enjoy every quilt free bite it helps to satiate without going crazy. When I finish my coffee I go brush my teeth and then chew a piece of sugarless gum. Craving gone - every time!
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

^^This. Seriously.

160 calories worth of ice cream is just sad...
  • magggsmagggs
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    One thing that disconcerts me a little on these boards is that when someone writes in about foods they are giving up, there is a chorus which replies "I've lost X and I still eat the foods I love". It gives off the vibe of a Slimfast commercial and implies that there is something magical where you make no sacrifices but still lose weight. Of course we all know that isn't true, and you do have to moderate your intake of certain foods.
    So let's list some of the ways we have made changes in the way we eat certain foods to give a more realistic picture of what successful weight loss entails. Here are some changes I've made to still fit foods I love into my calorie allowance:
    Ice Cream - I'm lucky in that I never ate big quantities, but ate reasonable amounts at high frequency. I've cut back from 1/2C 3 times a week to 1/2C once or twice a month
    Soda - Again, never been a huge quantity drinker, but now I drink just 6 oz a few days per week
    Pasta - I would eat a massive serving of mac'n'cheese (homemade) - probably 1500 calories. Now when I eat pasta I have about 3oz in a sauce full of veggies and no cheese or cream
    Chips - I've pretty much cut these out completely, b/c even a 400 calorie bag doesn't sate me at all - just leaves me wanting another bag (and a big gulp along with it)
    Cookies/Cakes - I would just mindlessly go back to the bag or box and take more without realizing how much I ate. Now I take a serving which fits in my day, put away the box, sit down at the table w/a cup of tea and actually savor it.
    Cereal - I would start a medley of adding more cereal to finish the milk, then adding more milk to finish the cereal, and probably had 4 cups + 2 cups of milk before it was through. Now I measure out my serving (usually 1.5 times 'suggested'), finish it, and that's that.

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

You're still here?

Not bulking. As far as his activity level, I have no idea.