The truth about "I still eat the foods I love"

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    If a small serving of ice cream isn't "worth it," then you need to evaluate why you'd consider a "food you love."

Honestly, if you need a full pint to feel like you got your ice cream on, you might be either buying crappy ice cream or eating too fast. Or maybe you just don't like ice cream as much as you think you do. Everyone needs to examine his or her own TRUE preferences and loves. Shoving food in your face without thinking about it isn't a love, it's a bad habit. When you break down tasty treats into proper portion sizes, it doesn't take that much to fit them into even a fairly low calorie limit. (I was eating premium gelato every night when I was at 1300, and I didn't have to starve myself all day to do it.) And, if you take the time to enjoy your treats, they will satisfy you.

^^This. Seriously.

And considering that, in my experience, most ice cream is ~160 calories per serving, its really not that hard to fit it in.
    Most Ben & Jerry's seem to be 250+ a serving. I get fitting in a serving is possible I just don't think one single serving is a practical size for a normal human. It's like 3 bites.

Seriously? 3 bites? Is your mouth the size of Montana?

I eat 100g servings of gelato. They are about 200 cal per serving. Closer to 300 if I'm low on calories and I dip into the B&J with tons of mixins. It is a perfectly normal portion size for someone who is taking sensible bites off a normal spoon and taking the time to enjoy each one.

If you think a 100g serving is "3 bites" and "not practical?" Again, the problem is the way you are eating it, not the ice cream itself.

But, if you are inhaling your food instead of enjoying it, by all means, just get a pint of Arctic Zero and be done with it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ice cream: I have one serving per evening usually. Buying premium ice cream makes a big difference to me-- it's a lot easier to be satisfied with one serving that way
    Pizza: make my own every 2-3 weeks, have 2 slices
    Pasta: weigh out one serving, usually only eat once per week or so
    Fast food: rarely eat, only if on a road trip or something
    Baked goods: rarely eat the kind from the grocery store. I make my own so I can control portions and ingredients and make sure they're worth the calories. Usually I make cupcakes because they're an automatic single serving.

To be honest I've never had issues with binging or emotional eating. Moderation has always come extremely easily to me. So YMMV
  • JenW70503
    JenW70503 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The only thing I really haven't been able to give up is sodas. But I fit them into my allotted amount of calories. When I do eat other things that are higher calorie, I just eat less of them---and not even because I am limiting myself anymore, just because I don't need 3-4 slices of pizza to be full, one will do the job. I have cut out snack cakes, candy, cookies, chips, etc. just because they aren't as appealing to me as they were before.

The only time I really find myself having to work to make the calories fit is when we eat out--we usually go out to dinner without the kids once per week, and it's taken a lot of calorie budgeting and trial and error to come up with a meal that won't completely blow my calories but will be worth the $$ I'm spending on the meal. But now that I know what my "safe choices" are at the restaurants we frequent, it's not so bad.

I used to have an unhealthy obsession with french fries--any way, shape or form they were presented, I'd want them and I'd want a large order of them. Or two. Now I don't even always order them, and when I do, I rarely finish them. They just don't do it for me anymore.
  • magggsmagggs
    Options
    :) very helpful keep sharing
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    NOne of this is sacrifice, just eating reasonable portions. Should I go on to talk about how I do this with chicken, salmon, rice, fruits, veggies, oil, etc?

perhaps sacrifice is too strong a word, but it's clearly a measured change. If it weren't you wouldn't have had to make the changes to begin with, as you would have been doing this all along.
    My point of this post was that 1) It is necessary to add the modifier 'in moderation' when one says they still eat all the foods they like and more importantly 2) give some examples of what 'moderation' means to you, so that others on or beginning this change in their eating habits has an idea of what normal is (and what abnormal was).

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Also it's worth noting that if you practice moderation in a way that doesn't equal having 2 spoonfuls of ice cream a day you're somehow looked at as a freak. As in, if I save my two spoonfuls up for a week or two and just have the pint and call it a "cheat." Then you get the "you wouldn't have to cheat if you just ate in moderation (2 spoonfuls) every day!!!!" Six to one, half dozen to the other.

EDIT: Wait, no, don't call it a cheat. Call it a "re-feed." Then you're one of the cool kids!

Hahaha Oh, this is soooo true.
    You know what they say...you can't please everyone, so don't try to please anyone. Only yourself.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    NOne of this is sacrifice, just eating reasonable portions. Should I go on to talk about how I do this with chicken, salmon, rice, fruits, veggies, oil, etc?

perhaps sacrifice is too strong a word, but it's clearly a measured change. If it weren't you wouldn't have had to make the changes to begin with, as you would have been doing this all along.
    My point of this post was that 1) It is necessary to add the modifier 'in moderation' when one says they still eat all the foods they like and more importantly 2) give some examples of what 'moderation' means to you, so that others on or beginning this change in their eating habits has an idea of what normal is (and what abnormal was).

But typically, people do.

Are you really seeing just "I eat foods I love" with no qualifier often on this site?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If a small serving of ice cream isn't "worth it," then you need to evaluate why you'd consider a "food you love."

Honestly, if you need a full pint to feel like you got your ice cream on, you might be either buying crappy ice cream or eating too fast. Or maybe you just don't like ice cream as much as you think you do. Everyone needs to examine his or her own TRUE preferences and loves. Shoving food in your face without thinking about it isn't a love, it's a bad habit. When you break down tasty treats into proper portion sizes, it doesn't take that much to fit them into even a fairly low calorie limit. (I was eating premium gelato every night when I was at 1300, and I didn't have to starve myself all day to do it.) And, if you take the time to enjoy your treats, they will satisfy you.

^^This. Seriously.

And considering that, in my experience, most ice cream is ~160 calories per serving, its really not that hard to fit it in.
    Most Ben & Jerry's seem to be 250+ a serving. I get fitting in a serving is possible I just don't think one single serving is a practical size for a normal human. It's like 3 bites.

talenti Mediterranean mint is 200 calories
    breyes oreo ice cream is 140 calories for about a 64 gram serving

^ in my experience both of these fill the bowl nicely and are not just three bites....
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I have seen plenty of bragging without qualifiers. I remember a thread from awhile back about how people eat their Pop-Tarts: "I make an ice cream sandwich out of them!" and so forth without much mention of meeting calorie goals, bulking, CICO, etc.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Also it's worth noting that if you practice moderation in a way that doesn't equal having 2 spoonfuls of ice cream a day you're somehow looked at as a freak. As in, if I save my two spoonfuls up for a week or two and just have the pint and call it a "cheat." Then you get the "you wouldn't have to cheat if you just ate in moderation (2 spoonfuls) every day!!!!" Six to one, half dozen to the other.

EDIT: Wait, no, don't call it a cheat. Call it a "re-feed." Then you're one of the cool kids!

This is a very valid post. Just saying. :drinker:

I'd rather have 10 cookies once a week or so, than *A* cookie for breakfast.
    (well, that's not true, I don't like cookies, but the point stands, substitute a food I love.)
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    freeoscar wrote: »
    Confused. Are you asking specifically how we do it?
    Yes. What changes have you made in the quantity/frequency of certain foods that allow you to still include them while still losing weight.
    I stopped baking. I really love it, but I noticed that my kids would have a small slice of cake/couple of cookies, whatever, and my husband and I would eat the rest, and neither of us needed it. That helped. We used to have dessert regularly. Now we never do. If my boys want something, they make a smoothie.

I also stopped eating much bread/pasta/rice/potatoes. I have them sometimes, but realised I didn't miss them - I'm happy having my bolognese sauce topping a big bowl of salad so I take advantage of that.

I used to have a chocolate bar of some kind every day - sometimes a big one. I still need to have some kind of chocolate every day. I've tried the 'square of dark chocolate' thing but that doesn't work for me. I like junky milk chocolate, so I buy bags of fun-sized Smarties, Aeros, Kitkats and have one or two a day when I have a cup of tea.

You put your bolognese sauce on your salad?
    Yes! Is that weird? Or any other hot food actually. I really like cold crunchy food with hot food. I love salad with fries too. I guess I'm weird. :/

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    This pretty much echoes my feelings but you do have to keep in mind the different calorie goals people have. It's definitely eye roll inducing to hear someone bragging about how they eat ice cream every day only to see they're putting down a whopping 3 spoonfuls in the middle of the 1600 calories they're allotted. On the flip side of that you do have people who are really eating a pint of ice cream after a half of a pizza because they're bulking or they have a job that requires they walk 9 million miles a day on top of the 2 hours they work out each day. The real takeaway is don't put so much stock in other people. Mostly because people are crap but also because you have to do what works for you because that's all that really matters.

You're still here?

Stating that one eats x and y within their calories isn't bragging. Doesn't matter if their goal is 1500 calories or 3000 calories.

You really need to stop complaining about this subject ad nauseam.

It's kind of bragging. It usually follows someone saying how they gave up something and it helped them. Right off the bat you'll get 10 "but I eat X and Y daily!!!!!!" OK. So? Good for you that you want to squeeze in .3454545 nano liters of ice cream a day but to some people it's not even worth it. It's basically people wanting to brag about how wild and free they are with their food when really they're almost insanely controlled with it.

You are reading into what is said and filtering it with your own personal struggles. People are not bragging about being wild and free, they are saying that through being controlled with intake they still fit what they enjoy in.

This.

Plus, the situations in which posters come in saying "I eat x and y and still lose weight" are generally in response to either:
    a) a poster saying that it is MANDATORY to limit sugar, not eat processed, not eat this and that, etc in order to lose weight, or a poster telling an OP that they have to employ these methods to lose weight. OR
    b) an OP saying "I've cut out x and y, it's been a week and I'm craving it all so bad! How do I stop craving it?", in which case responding with the aforementioned answer lets them know that they can still eat those foods in reduced quantities while losing weight.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

^^This. Seriously.

I don't buy Ben & Jerry's very often, hence why I said "in my experience". I usually buy hood, edy's, or friendly's. The brand and type I buy tend to be 150-180 calories per half cup. I'm not making that up.

At first, half a cup seemed small. But after a few days, I realized that it was just the right amount to feel satisfied. The difference was my expectation. I was used to stuffing myself silly instead of just eating to satisfaction.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so your one serving of ice cream = two spoonful's?

are you just inhaling the stuff??
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    This pretty much echoes my feelings but you do have to keep in mind the different calorie goals people have. It's definitely eye roll inducing to hear someone bragging about how they eat ice cream every day only to see they're putting down a whopping 3 spoonfuls in the middle of the 1600 calories they're allotted. On the flip side of that you do have people who are really eating a pint of ice cream after a half of a pizza because they're bulking or they have a job that requires they walk 9 million miles a day on top of the 2 hours they work out each day. The real takeaway is don't put so much stock in other people. Mostly because people are crap but also because you have to do what works for you because that's all that really matters.

You're still here?

Stating that one eats x and y within their calories isn't bragging. Doesn't matter if their goal is 1500 calories or 3000 calories.

You really need to stop complaining about this subject ad nauseam.

It's kind of bragging. It usually follows someone saying how they gave up something and it helped them. Right off the bat you'll get 10 "but I eat X and Y daily!!!!!!" OK. So? Good for you that you want to squeeze in .3454545 nano liters of ice cream a day but to some people it's not even worth it. It's basically people wanting to brag about how wild and free they are with their food when really they're almost insanely controlled with it.

You are reading into what is said and filtering it with your own personal struggles. People are not bragging about being wild and free, they are saying that through being controlled with intake they still fit what they enjoy in.

This.

Plus, the situations in which posters come in saying "I eat x and y and still lose weight" are generally in response to either:
    a) a poster saying that it is MANDATORY to limit sugar, not eat processed, not eat this and that, etc in order to lose weight, or a poster telling an OP that they have to employ these methods to lose weight. OR
    b) an OP saying "I've cut out x and y, it's been a week and I'm craving it all so bad! How do I stop craving it?", in which case responding with the aforementioned answer lets them know that they can still eat those foods in reduced quantities while losing weight.

If you pause for a moment you'll probably notice that most posters don't say EVERYONE must give up x y and zed. But carry on.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    When we go out for fast food I either order a smaller version of what I used to eat (5 mcnuggets instead of 20) or split something with my hubby (like the taco bell boxes which have plenty of food for the both of us). I eat a "normal serving size" of candy instead of the whole freakin' box/bag. One or two cookies instead of all the cookies. One scoop of ice cream instead of four or five with sprinkles... Lost almost 40lbs without having to give up anything. Moderation is a beautiful thing. I don't think I could have stuck with it without the occasional milk dud or mcnugget. XD
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

^^This. Seriously.

160 calories worth of ice cream is just sad...

May be sad for you, but not for everyone. I was just discussing the same exact things about habits and our perception. I grew up eating just one serving, and often even half a serving (kid's popsicle size). It feels plenty much to me because that's the amount I've always eaten even when I weighed more than 300 pounds, and because everyone I ever knew ate 1/2-1 serving and more seemed (and still seems) unnecessary.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    You put your bolognese sauce on your salad?

I just eat it out of a bowl, not ontop of anything, lol! I don't miss the pasta - it was the gravy I loved!