New to Eating clean! And new to mfp this week

Options
Struggling eating clean, add me please could do with good support and advice :)

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different definition of eating clean. Personally, I think it's best to start out by sticking to your calorie limit, getting that under control, then making substitutions to make your feel better, if you need to.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    What are you struggling with? What do you consider "eating clean"? Agree you need to have a reasonable calorie goal and stick with it because even "clean eaters" can gain weight by going over calories. Need more info to help you with your question.
  • gemma7115
    gemma7115 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well I've done loads of reading lol, but find it hard as I'm a fussy eater. Mainly been eating chicken various ways, cut bread out all together, substituted it with rye bread which not eaten much of, and brown rice and soups. Is pasta ok?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    gemma7115 wrote: »
    Well I've done loads of reading lol, but find it hard as I'm a fussy eater. Mainly been eating chicken various ways, cut bread out all together, substituted it with rye bread which not eaten much of, and brown rice and soups. Is pasta ok?

Okay for what? I eat all foods in moderation. Some "clean eaters" forgo all grain, which would include rye bread. Some eat only organic this and that. Some don't eat wheat/flour. Some only eat raw foods. Some only eat things they make themselves from scratch, so grain is okay but pasta wouldn't be.

What is your goal?
  • gemma7115
    gemma7115 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well My goal would be to loose 2stone, honestly I haven't a clue what I'm doing, I think I need to read up more just seems all the food which is ok seem to be fish based which the thought make me sick lol x
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A question I would ask is, why are you making the choice to "eat clean"? Is the reason why you want to do the whole eating clean thing because you feel you need to in order to lose weight? You can eat all kinds of foods and still lose weight. You will find that as you get used to your calorie goal and weighing your food, you will slowly begin to gravitate towards healthier/lower calorie foods since you can get more "bang for your buck" and you can still work in treats here and there depending on your calorie goal.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Clean eating can mean anythimg, and thus it means nothing.

To lose weight you can eat anything you like within your calorie goal.

To be healthy you should eat a variety of foods from all food groups every day.

Don't eat anything that makes you sick.

Don't believe something is bad for you just because you've read it in a magazine.

If you want to, you can train your taste to like more foods.
  • tonedby46
    tonedby46 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have to eat clean I have to follow the Mediterranean diet, for me my doctor told me too.
  • NickDoesFitness
    NickDoesFitness Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different definition of eating clean. Personally, I think it's best to start out by sticking to your calorie limit, getting that under control, then making substitutions to make your feel better, if you need to.

Exactly this! It'll take time, but slowly incorporate small substitutions, such as swapping full fat for diet, then to sugar free, and then eliminate it completely (except for cheat days ofc if you plan to incorporate them). It's going to take time, and patience will be your best friend in this game!

Welcome, and good luck! :smiley:
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Eat all your calories, and read the forums, search for any questions you have. Try and stay on target, but don't beat yourself up if you have a moment.
    I can't reitterate better what was already said about to each their own. :grin: Clean eating to me is trying not to eat a lot of processed foods, but it is HARD because that's the world we live in. Ultimately, make smart healthy choices, but if you want something eat it (as long as it fits your macros! :lol: )
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Exactly this! It'll take time, but slowly incorporate small substitutions, such as swapping full fat for diet, then to sugar free, and then eliminate it completely (except for cheat days ofc if you plan to incorporate them). It's going to take time, and patience will be your best friend in this game!

Welcome, and good luck! :smiley:

Why does she have to substitute sugar free?

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifelong clean eater too! Yes, I always clean my plate of its food whether I am eating at deficit, or surplus, depending on goal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP, it sounds like you haven't done a lot of reading yet, you have some goals in mind but not sure how to achieve them. MFP is a great place to start. Ultimately to lose weight, what matters is that you are in a calorie deficit. There are a number of ways to achieve that calorie deficit. Some people restrict certain food groups or eat "clean" but as others have pointed out, that word has variable definitions for different people. A number of folks here on MFP have had great success eating all the same things they love, just doing so in moderation.

You may find some helpful tips in this link - there's lots of good info so read it as many times as it takes for it all to make sense.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Good luck.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    gemma7115 wrote: »
    Well My goal would be to loose 2stone, honestly I haven't a clue what I'm doing, I think I need to read up more just seems all the food which is ok seem to be fish based which the thought make me sick lol x

clean eating has noting to do with weight loss, all you need is a calorie deficit.

• trailrunner81
    trailrunner81 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

^^^ I will second this statement. Focus on eating at your calorie goal and exercising. As you move along you can start to substitute/eliminate certain foods. Clean eating is what you want it to mean. For me its limiting processed foods. I do not claim that processed foods are "bad", I just believe in making sure I limit added surgars and other additives, but its a personal choice and has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Eat all your calories, and read the forums, search for any questions you have. Try and stay on target, but don't beat yourself up if you have a moment.
    I can't reitterate better what was already said about to each their own. :grin: Clean eating to me is trying not to eat a lot of processed foods, but it is HARD because that's the world we live in. Ultimately, make smart healthy choices, but if you want something eat it (as long as it fits your macros! :lol: )

weight loss does not have to be hard. Enjoy the foods you like and just eat less of them. Get a food scale and weight everything. And make sure that you log all your food into MFP and eat to the number that MFP gives you ...
  • rebeccaschlaht
    rebeccaschlaht Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My goal has been to eat all natural foods. Nothing processed nothing with added sugar. I also eat at a deficit. I have lost 20lbs since Feb 23rd. I do workout most days. I think the all natural foods has given me lots of energy to workout.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    My goal has been to eat all natural foods. Nothing processed nothing with added sugar. I also eat at a deficit. I have lost 20lbs since Feb 23rd. I do workout most days. I think the all natural foods has given me lots of energy to workout.

so "non natural foods" provide less energy than natural foods???

pretty sure that 100 calories of organic apples = 100 calories of twinkies from an energy perspective...
  • blueriotgirl
    blueriotgirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Get used to staying under your calories. Everything in moderation. Take the time to measure out your food by serving size if it looks to much cut it in half. Everybody is different. I just started 15 days ago and with the right amount of food and exercise i have lost 2lbs. It may not be much but my goal is to lose a lb or so a week and I'm happy with my progress.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Afura wrote: »

weight loss does not have to be hard. Enjoy the foods you like and just eat less of them. Get a food scale and weight everything. And make sure that you log all your food into MFP and eat to the number that MFP gives you ...

Shhh... You're intercoursing the construct! Weight lost is supposed to be difficult, expensive, and involve a secret sold by a MLM company.